ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 557 of 1207
« First < 57457507547553554555556557 5585595605615676076571057 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:11 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Yeah, if you can keep your bacon grease unadulterated [ie, teeny tiny little bits of bacon in it is OK, but keep other foods out, and certainly cover it to keep out dust and 'pests'], it's extremely shelf stable. I run my bacon grease off while still hot into a mason jar and lid it tight. Keep it right on top of my stove in case I need a little for fried eggs or hash browns later. Better than any other cooking oil you could want.
Mom always did that. I'm out though. I don't need the extra cholesterol, fat, calories, whatever.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:17 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Mom always did that. I'm out though. I don't need the extra cholesterol, fat, calories, whatever.
My grandma and grandpa did as well.

Ever have popcorn popped in a cast iron skillet in bacon grease? Omg
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:23 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Count me in on that. L&P, and it's not even close. But if I'm going to make a large marinade for something like jerky, I'll get a cheap brand. Same with soy sauce.
Kikkoman low sodium ONLY. I have some diesel on hand as well but it's used sparingly.

I've mentioned it before but the cheap Soy sauce isn't soy sauce. It doesn't use fermented soy beans at all.

If you see 'hydrolized protein' on a bottle, throw that shit away. And if you're at the store, just shatter all the bottles to save other customers from themselves. It's AWFUL.

Kikkoman (and others) also make stuff called Tamari Soy sauce that's gluten free and quite good. Harder to find but probably my favorite if you can stumble onto it. Super rich and if you really like the 'soy' flavor rather than just that general umami richness, Tamari holds up to cooking better.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:36 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Kikkoman (and others) also make stuff called Tamari Soy sauce that's gluten free and quite good. Harder to find but probably my favorite if you can stumble onto it. Super rich and if you really like the 'soy' flavor rather than just that general umami richness, Tamari holds up to cooking better.
I only use Tamari because regular soy sauce contains wheat. It is richer—sometimes a little too strong for me. So I use a little less even in recipes calling for it.

It's not that hard to come by here. I always seem to find it easily.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:43 AM 06-16-2017
Kikkoman low sodium ONLY. I have some diesel on hand as well but it's used sparingly.

I've mentioned it before but the cheap Soy sauce isn't soy sauce. It doesn't use fermented soy beans at all.

If you see 'hydrolized protein' on a bottle, throw that shit away. And if you're at the store, just shatter all the bottles to save other customers from themselves. It's AWFUL.

I can't vouch for the Tamari, but the rest of the post is absolute truth.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:51 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I only use Tamari because regular soy sauce contains wheat. It is richer—sometimes a little too strong for me. So I use a little less even in recipes calling for it.

It's not that hard to come by here. I always seem to find it easily.
Yeah, even if you can't find tamari, if you find 'gluten free soy', it's probably the same animal because the amount of wheat is the only real difference. I believe they're processed the exact same way.
[Reply]
Pablo 10:20 AM 06-16-2017
Count me in on the L&P and Kikkoman tribe. I've tried cheaper substitutes. They mostly suck.

Those two are my favorites, and I'm pretty sure ATK reviewed these sauces and named them the best widely available as well. Shit's not that expensive. You save yourself like $1 by getting the store brand or French's or whatever for soy sauce, but the flavor difference is very real.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 06-16-2017
How many people with cheap condiments in their house bought said cheap condiments themselves? We all know that's a 'wife saw it on the shopping list and decided to save 70 cents' purchase, right?

Anything that I figure I'll be using, I just buy myself. Because I had a pantry with French's Worcestershire sauce, LaChoy soy sauce and something called 'catsup' in it once.

Never again.
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:31 AM 06-16-2017
:-)
[Reply]
Pablo 10:32 AM 06-16-2017
How many people with cheap condiments in their house bought said cheap condiments themselves? We all know that's a 'wife saw it on the shopping list and decided to save 70 cents' purchase, right?

Anything that I figure I'll be using, I just buy myself. Because I had a pantry with French's Worcestershire sauce, LaChoy soy sauce and something called 'catsup' in it once.

Never again.
Yeah, I am pretty dead set on brands for all of my condiments. It's been through trial and error, but some companies excel at their product. Heinz for ketchup, French's yellow mustard...so on and so forth. If I see Heinz is on sale I'll buy an extra because I know we'll use it, same with the other shit.

My fridge door is jam packed with about 30 bottles of condiments it seems like, but I know what I like and think tastes best. I do most of the cooking, so my wife doesn't really give a shit, but I buy the brands I like.
[Reply]
Pablo 10:33 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
:-)
My god, think how fun it would be to wreck an aisle full of glass bottles. Just overhand flinging them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:03 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Yeah, I am pretty dead set on brands for all of my condiments. It's been through trial and error, but some companies excel at their product. Heinz for ketchup, French's yellow mustard...so on and so forth. If I see Heinz is on sale I'll buy an extra because I know we'll use it, same with the other shit.

My fridge door is jam packed with about 30 bottles of condiments it seems like, but I know what I like and think tastes best. I do most of the cooking, so my wife doesn't really give a shit, but I buy the brands I like.
Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone even bothers with Hunts. Why are there several brands of ketchup? Heinz does the best job and it costs like 25 cents more for enough of that stuff to last for 6 months.

I'll occasionally dabble in a horseradish or spicy mustard that's some high-falutin' brand but for the good ol' yellow bottle it's always French's.

Now where I get made fun of is salad dressing. I can't find a single store dressing I like. But a bar in town makes their own and I love it. So I got one of those half-gallon flip-top containers and every few months I go in there to have dinner and I'll just hand them the thing. The waitress looks at me funny and I just say "yeah, they'll fill it and charge me like, $8-9 bucks...."

They always seem skeptical but sure enough, I always get my big ass bottle of Shiloh ranch dressing for $8.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:06 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by Pablo:
My god, think how fun it would be to wreck an aisle full of glass bottles. Just overhand flinging them.
When I was in high school I got very much fired from K-Mart and with excellent cause (this was among my more minor indiscretions). But we'd go back into the stock room with bottles of ketchup and wing 'em back into the back corner to see them explode. Or we'd take bottles of soda, shake the shit out of them open them just a crack and then fling them into the racks of clothes they were going to send out for clearance.

We were monumental assholes. Getting axed (and donating my last check to the fine folks in loss control) was pretty much the most deserved thing I've ever experienced. Not sure what the hell possessed us to do that apart from just being prickish teenagers.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:44 AM 06-16-2017
Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone even bothers with Hunts. Why are there several brands of ketchup? Heinz does the best job and it costs like 25 cents more for enough of that stuff to last for 6 months.

I'll occasionally dabble in a horseradish or spicy mustard that's some high-falutin' brand but for the good ol' yellow bottle it's always French's.

Now where I get made fun of is salad dressing. I can't find a single store dressing I like. But a bar in town makes their own and I love it. So I got one of those half-gallon flip-top containers and every few months I go in there to have dinner and I'll just hand them the thing. The waitress looks at me funny and I just say "yeah, they'll fill it and charge me like, $8-9 bucks...."

They always seem skeptical but sure enough, I always get my big ass bottle of Shiloh ranch dressing for $8.

Hunt's>Heinz.
[Reply]
srvy 11:55 AM 06-16-2017
My wife buys a big ass bottle of this soy sauce me I'm the cheap ass I buy this.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 557 of 1207
« First < 57457507547553554555556557 5585595605615676076571057 > Last »
Up