ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 57
« First < 394546474849 50515253 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:48 PM 06-05-2022
about to sprinkle some grass patch mix on my bald spots out back

give me some hacks to make this shit stay

how much soil do i have to fuck up?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:01 PM 06-05-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

Put a garage where the bald spots are.

Profit.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:03 PM 06-05-2022
so 5-10 tiny garages sprinkled around the back 40

ass
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:33 PM 06-05-2022
This is a pulmaria, right?
Attached: 4F887F4D-8639-44AB-B783-D2D5D495A1F4.jpg (133.4 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 09:25 PM 06-05-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This is a pulmaria, right?
Plumeria, yes!!!

That's a beauty. Takes forever to get them that tall here but I've seen some 10'+ ones here.

I put some sun shade protection on a few of mine as we head over 110 here now.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:59 PM 06-05-2022

how much soil do i have to **** up?
Everything sticks to semen. Put a good coating down before you seed.
[Reply]
loochy 07:19 AM 06-06-2022

It depends on the seed type. Some do better deeper, like 1/2 inch. Some prefer shallower.
[Reply]
Jenson71 03:34 PM 06-07-2022
I'm so late in putting in my tomato & basil garden, but I should still be okay, right? I got some beat up Charlie Brown leftover plants today.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:32 PM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
I'm so late in putting in my tomato & basil garden, but I should still be okay, right? I got some beat up Charlie Brown leftover plants today.
Depending on where you are, should be ok. If you have a longer growing season, tomatoes will be later, but should still grow.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:29 PM 06-20-2022
I made some of these and they solved a lot of problems. It's so hot and dry here ,keeping enough moisture in a raised bed is a problem.

[Reply]
tooge 03:04 PM 06-20-2022
Put in another raised bed and 5 more mater plants and two more pepper plants. Per my green thumb neighbor, but a 1" piece of banana under each plant and some epsom salt on the soil after planting. So far so good.

60 onion sets
10 tomato plants
4 blueberry bushes
watermelon
cucumber
potatoes
Red sweet peppers
[Reply]
seclark 03:50 PM 06-20-2022
Wife bought 6 tons of river rock and had them dump it on the carport where I usually park the Dakota. She’s spent the last few weeks pulling out shrubs and scraping out the white limestone she had around the whole house before, and laid down this black paper shit, planted new shrubs and other plants. Then she washed the river rock load by load, and hauled it by wheel barrel all around the house.
It looks great. But it looked great before we paid $650 for river rock, bought new plants and bullshit, made me pen up my lab off and on every time she turned on the damned hose, and made me park the Dakota 30 yards from the house

I guess it gave her something to do, so that’s cool.
sec
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:30 PM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by seclark:
Wife bought 6 tons of river rock and had them dump it on the carport where I usually park the Dakota. She’s spent the last few weeks pulling out shrubs and scraping out the white limestone she had around the whole house before, and laid down this black paper shit, planted new shrubs and other plants. Then she washed the river rock load by load, and hauled it by wheel barrel all around the house.
It looks great. But it looked great before we paid $650 for river rock, bought new plants and bullshit, made me pen up my lab off and on every time she turned on the damned hose, and made me park the Dakota 30 yards from the house

I guess it gave her something to do, so that’s cool.
sec

I'm kind of proud of myself even though I screwed up.

We added an egress window to our basement last month, and it required some landscape work. The landscapers leveled out a raised dirt bed that had a bunch of river rock, and then put the river rock back. The river rock ranges from the size of a marble to perhaps 3/4 of the size of a racquetball.

But I didn't know how this worked and my wife was out of town, so I got into trouble. The landscapers mixed the dirt with the rock when they replaced it, so when she got back into town she was displeased. They had put a weed barrier down, but there's not supposed to be dirt above it, just rock. If we have dirt, weeds will grow in our rock garden. So we had to somehow remove the dirt.

Now, this is a 40 foot by 7 foot rock garden. It's big. Plus, rocks are heavy and hard to deal with. We initially started by putting the rocks into a bucket, and then sweeping up the dirt, and it was terribly slow. We were doing perhaps 2 square feet an hour. Not good.

So we put our critical thinking skills to use. We made a big sieve out of a plastic shelf and started putting the rocks in the sieve. Then we would shake the sieve and tip it over. It was faster, but we were up to maybe 4 square feet per hour, and it was exhausting.

I put my thinking hat on, and we made an investment in the next experiment. We bought a shopvac. We would then put the rocks in the sieve and run the shopvac over the weed barrier to get the dirt. That shopvac was powerful, and it gave us some good ideas.

After a number of experiments, we developed an optimal process, and it goes like this:

1. I run my shoes over the rock. It's river rock so it's kind of round, and I can move the bigger rocks.
2. My wife, wearing gloves and using some sort of garden claw thing, scrapes over the mid-sized rocks and pulls them forward.
3. I use the powerful shopvac on what's left, which is the dirt and small rocks sitting on top of the weed barrier. If I pressed the shopvac nozzle down hard, I could avoid sucking up the rocks and efficiently get the dirt down.

We get one section done, and then move downstream and move the next rocks to the clean section, which makes it efficient. We're no longer lifting rocks at all, just rolling them and clawing them a foot upstream.

After a bit of process optimization, we're now up to about 30 square feet per hour. It's hard work, but we're going to get this thing done.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 05:31 PM 06-20-2022
All of this rock relocation will potentially mess with our spinning mass distribution and thereby our magnetic fields. This could disrupt the Van Allen belts protecting the earth. I suggest everyone go put all the rock back where it started and stop trying to destroy the Earth.
[Reply]
seclark 07:12 PM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm kind of proud of myself even though I screwed up.

We added an egress window to our basement last month, and it required some landscape work. The landscapers leveled out a raised dirt bed that had a bunch of river rock, and then put the river rock back. The river rock ranges from the size of a marble to perhaps 3/4 of the size of a racquetball.

But I didn't know how this worked and my wife was out of town, so I got into trouble. The landscapers mixed the dirt with the rock when they replaced it, so when she got back into town she was displeased. They had put a weed barrier down, but there's not supposed to be dirt above it, just rock. If we have dirt, weeds will grow in our rock garden. So we had to somehow remove the dirt.

Now, this is a 40 foot by 7 foot rock garden. It's big. Plus, rocks are heavy and hard to deal with. We initially started by putting the rocks into a bucket, and then sweeping up the dirt, and it was terribly slow. We were doing perhaps 2 square feet an hour. Not good.

So we put our critical thinking skills to use. We made a big sieve out of a plastic shelf and started putting the rocks in the sieve. Then we would shake the sieve and tip it over. It was faster, but we were up to maybe 4 square feet per hour, and it exhausting.

I put my thinking hat on, and we made an investment in the next experiment. We bought a shopvac. We would then put the rocks in the sieve and run the shopvac over the weed barrier to get the dirt. That shopvac was powerful, and it gave us some good ideas.

After a number of experiments, we developed an optimal process, and it goes like this:

1. I run my shoes over the rock. It's river rock so it's kind of round, and I can move the bigger rocks.
2. My wife, wearing gloves and using some sort of garden claw thing, scrapes over the mid-sized rocks and pulls them forward.
3. I use the powerful shopvac on what's left, which is the dirt and small rocks sitting on top of the weed barrier. If I pressed the shopvac nozzle down hard, I could avoid sucking up the rocks and efficiently get the dirt down.

We get one section done, and then move downstream and move the next rocks to the clean section, which makes it efficient. We're no longer lifting rocks at all, just rolling them and clawing them a foot upstream.

After a bit of process optimization, we're now up to about 30 square feet per hour. It's hard work, but we're going to get this thing done.
:-)
At first she was going to buy it all bagged up because she thought it was cleaner. Then she went up and looked at it and decided they didn’t wash the river rock before they bagged it. So she went ahead and paid a truck to come and dump 6 tons on the carport.
Doesn’t like dirty river rock.
sec
[Reply]
Page 49 of 57
« First < 394546474849 50515253 > Last »
Up