ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2737 of 3903
« First < 1737223726372687272727332734273527362737 273827392740274127472787283732373737 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:58 AM 07-29-2020
https://www.technologynetworks.com/d...ovid-19-337592

All right, so given what's in the aforementioned link, is it reasonably certain that SARSCOV2 is to solely blame for causing six different variations of illness?
[Reply]
O.city 10:04 AM 07-29-2020
It’s such a diverse population it’s infecting I don’t know if it’s that weird that it causes such differences. Hormonal changes, diet etc there’s just so much differences In people
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:12 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Basically everywhere that was successful early is having issues now.
Want to venture a guess as to why? I have a theory.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:31 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Want to venture a guess as to why? I have a theory.
:-)

[Reply]
dirk digler 10:40 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
While this stuff is way beyond any expertise I could claim to have, my understanding is that there are seven widespread coronaviruses, and four of them are from common colds. (The rest of them are SARS and MERS.) I don't know any strong reason that this cross immunity couldn't be driven by the colds as much as SARS and MERS, so there's really pretty good hope that there's a lot of cross immunity worldwide.

More data is needed, but overall, between vaccine progress, improved therapeutics, and cross immunity, I'm really hopeful that live can be mostly back to normal by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

If you get some crows immunity from SARS or mers you’ll get it from the common cold ones.

Again, there’s gotta be something that’s bringing these curves down this quick like they are. If it’s truly novel and We’re all able to get it, you’d not get curves down like that.
After reading some comments in other places in regards to this study it seems to indicate this doesn't make us immune from Covid just that we wouldn't get the severe disease portion of it but we would still be spreading it . I could buy that somewhat.

I just see the mass infections and death here in the USA and makes me skeptical. My theory is that we are going to find out later on that genetics played a huge role in this.

With that being said I am definitely hopeful for a vaccine by the end of the year and getting back to normal before spring next year.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:53 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
After reading some comments in other places in regards to this study it seems to indicate this doesn't make us immune from Covid just that we wouldn't get the severe disease portion of it but we would still be spreading it . I could buy that somewhat.

I just see the mass infections and death here in the USA and makes me skeptical. My theory is that we are going to find out later on that genetics played a huge role in this.

With that being said I am definitely hopeful for a vaccine by the end of the year and getting back to normal before spring next year.
To O.City's point, the key question is just why we've seen pretty rapid declines essentially everywhere that has "popped." That's not to say that the impacts haven't been catastrophic in NYC, Italy, Spain, etc. - it's not like anyone (aside from some crazies) are suggesting completely opening up with no precautions at all. But it does make you wonder why pretty much everywhere has been on a huge, rapid climb, then suddenly dropped like a rock. Some of it can be attributed to "it got so bad that people started taking it seriously," but it doesn't seem like that can possibly be the only explanation.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:00 AM 07-29-2020
To O.City's point, the key question is just why we've seen pretty rapid declines essentially everywhere that has "popped." That's not to say that the impacts haven't been catastrophic in NYC, Italy, Spain, etc. - it's not like anyone (aside from some crazies) are suggesting completely opening up with no precautions at all. But it does make you wonder why pretty much everywhere has been on a huge, rapid climb, then suddenly dropped like a rock. Some of it can be attributed to "it got so bad that people started taking it seriously," but it doesn't seem like that can possibly be the only explanation.
Do you have an example? For NY\NJ it took a couple of months to get where they are now, same thing with Italy.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:06 AM 07-29-2020
Do you have an example? For NY\NJ it took a couple of months to get where they are now, same thing with Italy.
Right, but that's kind of the point. It took a couple of months to get there, and along the way surely people started taking it seriously, right? Why did it climb, climb, climb and then just...drop? Again, some of it is certainly due to lockdowns and such, but the drops have seemed very rapid compared to what I would expect.

But again, I'm certainly no epidemiologist, so some of this is just me being hopeful.
[Reply]
O.city 11:08 AM 07-29-2020
Especially when you see all the stuff that shows that the vast majority of these infections happen in home settings, something weird is happening.

If it's a novel virus and there's not immunity anywhere for anyone, it woudln't drop like that until it had ran it's way thru and especially when some of those places have opened back up if there is active spread etc.
[Reply]
O.city 11:08 AM 07-29-2020
Not really. Look how quick they went up and came down. In terms of infeciton times, it was pretty quick.
[Reply]
O.city 11:10 AM 07-29-2020
Right, but that's kind of the point. It took a couple of months to get there, and along the way surely people started taking it seriously, right? Why did it climb, climb, climb and then just...drop? Again, some of it is certainly due to lockdowns and such, but the drops have seemed very rapid compared to what I would expect.

But again, I'm certainly no epidemiologist, so some of this is just me being hopeful.
I'm definitely being hopeful.

But when every damn curve just seems to be the same no matter what steps you take to do it, it starts raising some eyebrows.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:20 AM 07-29-2020
I'm definitely being hopeful.

But when every damn curve just seems to be the same no matter what steps you take to do it, it starts raising some eyebrows.
Well one thing to be hopeful about is even though FL and CA both have passed NY in total cases both states combined still less than half the deaths of NY.

We are at least treating this better than we had.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:34 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Well one thing to be hopeful about is even though FL and CA both have passed NY in total cases both states combined still less than half the deaths of NY.

Those differences in death numbers wouldn't have anything to do with flattening the curve versus a spike when this all got started and what has been learned since.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
O.city 11:34 AM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

Yeah thats definitely better, but it's not all about deaths in the end. Don't want people to have to have long term issues, thats just another strain on the healthcare system.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:37 AM 07-29-2020

NY\NJ was more of a long slow slog than rapid decline. On Worldmeters I have been spot checking countries and yes some of the had a fairly quick decline in comparison to NY but these countries didn't have alot of cases to begin with. So I am guessing lock downs was the main factor.

Lockdown didn't help Peru though...they are in the Top 10 of cases and they peaked on May 29 with 8805 cases and now they are in a plateau since then at 4-5k cases per day and they have been in lockdown since March 16th. Social economic issues are playing a huge role there because it is a very poor country.
[Reply]
Page 2737 of 3903
« First < 1737223726372687272727332734273527362737 273827392740274127472787283732373737 > Last »
Up