ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What does an A+ draft look like to you?
RunKC 12:46 PM 04-05-2021
Just curious as there is a lot of discrepancy about what one looks like. What requirements are there?

Obviously there are different kinds. One player alone could give you an A+ draft (see Chiefs 2017) and another could be a draft filled with quality starters.

When you look around the league, what drafts were “A+“ worthy?
[Reply]
Dante84 12:48 PM 04-05-2021
4 impact players
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:52 PM 04-05-2021
With our first three picks, we need to find a guy who can be our starting LT, a starting DE, and a starting WR, by at least their second years, if not their first.

If the Chiefs draft three players that I think can very well do that, it'll earn an A+ from me.

And as we all know, an A+ from me and $3 can get you a cheeseburger at McDonald's.

But it might also earn you a Super Bowl.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:03 PM 04-05-2021
IMO these are “A+ draft’s”:

1995 Bucs-Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks to start their draft.

2017 Saints-missed on Mahomes but still had an excellent draft. Latimore, Ramczyk and Kamara are all blue chippers, Williams and Anzalone were quality players and Hendrickson had 13.5 sacks in his last year. Excellent value

2008 Chiefs-hard to argue Albert, Flowers, Charles and Carr . Even though Dorsey flamed the rest were awesome

1996 Ravens-Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis with their first 2 picks.

1974 Steelers-maybe the best draft ever in terms of volume. Lynn Swann (first round), linebacker Jack Lambert (second round), wide receiver John Stallworth (fourth round) and center Mike Webster (fifth round). All HOF’s

2016 Jags-Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue. That draft had so much potential for them and changes that defense but they went full Jags
[Reply]
Bowser 01:07 PM 04-05-2021
Minimum two solid rookie starters and four every game contributors
[Reply]
AJKCFAN 01:40 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
IMO these are “A+ draft’s”:

1995 Bucs-Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks to start their draft.

2017 Saints-missed on Mahomes but still had an excellent draft. Latimore, Ramczyk and Kamara are all blue chippers, Williams and Anzalone were quality players and Hendrickson had 13.5 sacks in his last year. Excellent value

2008 Chiefs-hard to argue Albert, Flowers, Charles and Carr . Even though Dorsey flamed the rest were awesome

1996 Ravens-Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis with their first 2 picks.

1974 Steelers-maybe the best draft ever in terms of volume. Lynn Swann (first round), linebacker Jack Lambert (second round), wide receiver John Stallworth (fourth round) and center Mike Webster (fifth round). All HOF’s

2016 Jags-Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue. That draft had so much potential for them and changes that defense but they went full Jags
1986 49ers had no first round picks but still got this from their picks. One of the best ever accumulating talent drafts in NFL Draft history. 5 starters and 3 reserves on back to back Super Bowl Champion teams. This was a great draft

2. Larry Roberts DE
3. Tom Rathman FB
3. Tim McKyer CB
3. John Taylor WR
4. Charles Haley DE
4. Steve Wallace LT
4. Kevin Fa gan DE
5. Pat Miller LB
6. Don Griffin CB
[Reply]
kccrow 09:51 PM 04-05-2021
3 starters and at least one more significant role-player would get an A+ from me.

I'm not going to dig up ancient history for the best ever drafts but I'll give some from the 2019 draft that are definitely A+ material at this point.

Bold denotes starter, Italic+Bold denotes significant role and/or becoming starter

Denver Broncos
1-20: Noah Fant, TE (Iowa)
2-41: Dalton Risner, T (Kansas State)
2-42: Drew Lock, QB (Missouri)
3-71: Dre’Mont Jones, DT (Ohio State)

5-156: Justin Hollins, LB (Oregon)
6-187: Juwann Winfree, WR (Colorado)

Green Bay Packers
1-12: Rashan Gary, DE (Michigan)
1-21: Darnell Savage, S (Maryland)

2-44: Elgton Jenkins, OL (Mississippi State)
3-75: Jace Sternberger, TE (Texas A&M)
5-150: Kingsley Keke, DT (Texas A&M)
6-185: Ka’dar Hollman, CB (Toledo)
6-194: Dexter Williams, RB (Notre Dame)
7-226: Ty Summers, LB (TCU)
All still on team!

San Francisco 49ers
1-2: Nick Bosa, DE (Ohio State)
2-36: Deebo Samuel, WR (South Carolina)

3-67: Jalen Hurd, WR (Baylor)
4-110: Mitch Wishnowsky, P (Utah)
5-148: Dre Greenlaw, LB (Arkansas)

6-176: Kaden Smith, TE (Stanford)
6-183: Justin Skule, T (Vanderbilt)
6-198: Tim Harris, CB (Virginia)

Tennessee Titans
1-19: Jeffery Simmons, DT (Mississippi State)
2-51: A.J. Brown, WR (Ole Miss)
3-82: Nate Davis, G (Charlotte)

4-116: Amani Hooker, S (Iowa)
5-168: D’Andre Walker, LB (Georgia)
6-188: David Long Jr., LB (West Virginia)

I hold the Titans draft in the highest regard. 6 picks, no multiple top rounders, nailed 3 starters, and 2 significant players. Long filled in admirably for Jayon Brown last year and both he and Hooker may end up starters in the near future;.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:55 PM 04-05-2021
In 67 KC drafted Willie Lanier and Jim Lynch.

The Chiefs in 65 drafted Gale Sayers and Otis Taylor.

In 64 they drafted Roger Staubach.

In 63 KC drafted Bobby Bell, Ed Budde and Buck Buchannon.
[Reply]
Wilson8 11:30 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
With our first three picks, we need to find a guy who can be our starting LT, a starting DE, and a starting WR, by at least their second years, if not their first.

If the Chiefs draft three players that I think can very well do that, it'll earn an A+ from me.
I would agree with this but I really think that kind of an A+ draft is possible.

Last year the Chiefs drafting L'Jarius Sneed in the 4th, gives me hope that KC's scouts can find another gem CB.

Many different ways to get there -

1 (31) - WR Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
2 (63) - LT Brady Christensen, BYU
3 (94) - TE Hunter Long, Boston College
4 (136) - CB Robert Rochell, Central Arkansas
4 (144) - Edge Adetokunbo Ogundeji, Notre Dame
5 (175) - LB Garret Wallow, TCU
5 (181) - RB Jaret Patterson, Buffalo
6 (207) - LB K.J. Britt, Auburn

OR

1 (31) - Edge Jayson Oweh, Penn State
2 (63) - LT Jackson Carman, Clemson
3 (94) - TE Tommy Tremble, Notre Dame
4 (136) - CB Tay Gowan, UCF
4 (144) - WR Tamorrion Terry, Florida State
5 (175) - RB Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State
5 (181) - LB Tony Fields II, West Virginia
6 (207) - WR Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville

OR

1 (31) - LT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
2 (63) - WR Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State
3 (94) - CB Kary Vincent Jr., LSU
4 (136) - Edge Joshua Kaindoh, Florida State
4 (144) - TE Tre' McKitty, Georgia
5 (175) - WR Josh Imatorbhebhe, Illinois
5 (181) - RB Khalil Herbert, Virginia Tech
6 (207) - LB Paddy Fisher, Northwestern

OR

1 (31) - LT Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
2 (63) - Edge Joe Tryon, Washington
3 (94) - WR Nico Collins, Michigan
4 (136) - CB Shakur Brown, Michigan State
4 (144) - LB Justin Hilliard, Ohio State
5 (175) - RB Chris Evans, Michigan
5 (181) - TE John Bates, Boise State
6 (207) - OL Tommy Kraemer, Notre Dame

It will be a fun draft and hopefully A+.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:17 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
I would agree with this but I really think that kind of an A+ draft is possible.
I agree, it is very possible. Teams don't do it often, however, because it's hard to pull off.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:27 PM 04-06-2021
I agree, it is very possible. Teams don't do it often, however, because it's hard to pull off.
What if they get a starting DE in the 2nd, a starting OT in the 4th, and a starting WR in the 6th. Is that still a good draft? Or does where they were picked matter that much?
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:37 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
What if they get a starting DE in the 2nd, a starting OT in the 4th, and a starting WR in the 6th. Is that still a good draft? Or does where they were picked matter that much?
If you can get a starting LT in the 4th round, that might be an A+ by itself.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:34 PM 04-06-2021
If you can get a starting LT in the 4th round, that might be an A+ by itself.
I can get a starting LT in the 7th. Might want to clarify a GOOD starting LT. :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 04:12 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't think it matters where, personally. Ideally, you nail the top 3 rounds and get some fillers in the latter rounds like the Titans in my example above but that is very rare, especially given the Chiefs' top needs this year.

My major preference is not taking role players early and hoping you hit on needs later.

For example, I'd have a hard time championing Veach for taking guys like Tommy Tremble or Hunter Long on day 2, no matter how much I like them, only for them to play 2nd fiddle to Kelce. It's a different story if the Chiefs needed a starting TE.

I prefer not hinging hope to a mid-round pick to play LT while getting other players earlier.

I think you have to look at where you need starters this year or starters next year and put more priority there.

This draft at this point truly hinges on Lucas Niang. If he can play LT, that changes the entire complexity of the draft and how the Chiefs can attack it. It sure would open up some amazing options for the first three rounds that they don't look to have right now.

Ugh.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:17 PM 04-06-2021
You guys, are you comparing these mocks? Because one mock will have a guy in the first, and another in the fourth. A guy that goes in the 2nd goes in the 7th in another.

It's going to be a wild draft this year, and nobody knows what the hell is going to happen. There is no consensus. It's fun to speculate, but anyone claiming they know anyone is a 'day one' pick versus a 'day 2' or 'day 3' pick this year is full of shit.

I've seen Tremble go anywhere from the 2nd to the 6th round. I've seen Janarius Robinson in the 2nd and the 7th. Forsythe in the 2nd or the 5th. Walker Little at #31 or in the 4th. Amari Rodgers in the 2nd or the 6th.

And these are supposedly experts.

Nobody has any idea except that your top 15 is pretty much a consensus to go somewhere in the first round. Everything else is the wild west.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up