Page 278 of 283
« First < 178228268274275276277278 279280281282 > Last »
Hall of Classics>****OFFICIAL Chiefs vs 49ers Super Bowl LIV Game Thread****
Hammock Parties 12:11 AM 02-02-2020
Let’s do this shit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:35 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Kramerica:
After the second pick, my buddy texted me, verbatim: "Mahomes sucks. **** Mahomes! He will never get a Super Bowl"

I thought it was pretty funny. He's a constant naysayer. I still demanded his fan card.
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I hope you gave him a FU back.

Post his phone number and let's get everyone on CP to send him a FU text.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 01:07 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Kramerica:
After the second pick, my buddy texted me, verbatim: "Mahomes sucks. **** Mahomes! He will never get a Super Bowl"

I thought it was pretty funny. He's a constant naysayer. I still demanded his fan card.
Your friend sounds like a complete loser.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:10 PM 07-23-2020
I have one of those friends too, dude told me the season was over about 5 times.
[Reply]
Javabean 01:52 PM 07-23-2020
If you want to read an article critical of Saleh, here you go.

Originally Posted by :
So what was the 49ers’ plan? It won’t take long to explain, actually. On first down and second-and-short (under 7 yards to go), the 49ers essentially played two coverages: Quarters and Cover 3. And it wasn’t difficult to figure out when they’d play which coverage. When Mahomes was in shotgun, they played Quarters; when he went under center, they played Cover 3.

Every time.

We’re talking a 100% tendency for the entire game.

When the Chiefs lined up in a two-by-two shotgun formation, the 49ers played Quarters 93% of the time. On third-and-3+, they played Cover 1 man (sometimes with a safety lurking over the middle, sometimes with an extra pass rusher) 80% of the time. On third-and-extra-long (more than 10 yards to go) Saleh would call Cover 3 Buzz, which is sorta, kinda similar to “Solo” coverage in that you have the backside safety looking to take the No. 3 receiver if he goes vertical…

The Chiefs faced third-and-extra-long three times outside of the red zone. The 49ers called Cover 3 Buzz every single time. Converting on third-and-long is difficult, but it gets a lot easier when the offense knows what coverage it’s getting, as San Francisco would find out later in the game.

With all of these easily diagnosed tendencies, Saleh might as well have been calling plays into Patrick Mahomes’ headset.

[Reply]
Megatron96 01:56 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Javabean:
Well, except that it worked for about 52 minutes, he kinda has a point . . .
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:56 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Javabean:
That was Simms main point about Saleh’s Cover 3 defense. When you have great personnel, you don’t have to be particularly creative with it. You roll it out and dare the offense to beat it. With a good pass rush (and the 49ers had an all time one - one we didn’t fully appreciate in real time) they can relentlessly attack the QB and force an opponents that offense to rely on quick plays that keeps the plays in front of the D.

What Simms has pointed out is that in the three 10 point 4th quarter comebacks we’ve seen in the Super Bowl have all been in the last 6 years and pulled off against Cover 3 defenses. His theory defenses get gassed quicker due to the extended half time show (Belicheck openly says this is the reason why defenses can’t be expected to shut down an offense all game in the SB) because eventually they’ve allow the opposing QB/offense more time to sling it downfield AND the offense knows exactly how to attack the D if they get enough time to execute.

I’ll give Andy credit for this. He took a lot of flak in this thread for never abandoning the run and taking what the 9ers gave him in the 1st half. But by the 4th quarter, the Niners D had been on the field for 70 plays and were absolutely too gassed to stop our offense. This is where I still put most of the blame on Kyle and secondary blame on Jimmy on the Niners. Kyle should have taken every opportunity to score and to go up 3 possessions on KC when he had the chance. Really, I’ve only seen Harbaugh, Bill, and even O’ Brien operate with that offensive urgency against the Chiefs. You will not beat Pat by shutting him down all game. You beat him by scoring, and scoring a lot.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:47 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Hey all - I've noticed that a few folks have been deleting their posts that came directly after Pat's 2nd INT. Please don't do this. This thread is legitimately a fantastic primary source on the Chiefs' 2nd Super Bowl Championship. I know some folks may think they were too critical of Pat in those posts, but those posts represented the lowest point of the Super Bowl and a very hard moment after our half-century long wait to get back to the SB. With that said, those low posts during that time make the subsequent comeback that much more satisfying to read. If anyone is giving you grief for them, ignore them. We were all in this ride together and 50 years of heartbreak is something that's hard to bounce back from in that moment.

Seriously, I've read a lot of game-threads and instant reactions of the Super Bowl online. Chiefsplanet's is the best one and it isn't close, especially coming from a place that had a shared community like this for so long. Reading us share our incredible 4th quarter comeback is still one of my favorite things to do on a low day.
I'm still kind of amazed how calm I was throughout the entire game; I actually posted something to that effect late in the game. I never yelled or screamed or threw anything; never posted any doom or gloom even after Pat's second pick. I've gotten more worked up over hundreds of regular season and playoff games in the past. Hell, I didn't even get all that emotional after it was over. It was frankly kind of anti-climactic from how I always envisioned it. I think knowing we were finally the team with the best QB and that he could come back from any deficit in the blink of an eye did it. Also, I had no strong feelings about San Francisco, so unlike a game against Denver, Pittsburgh or New England there was no hate factor involved.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:31 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'm still kind of amazed how calm I was throughout the entire game; I actually posted something to that effect late in the game. I never yelled or screamed or threw anything; never posted any doom or gloom even after Pat's second pick. I've gotten more worked up over hundreds of regular season and playoff games in the past. Hell, I didn't even get all that emotional after it was over. It was frankly kind of anti-climactic from how I always envisioned it. I think knowing we were finally the team with the best QB and that he could come back from any deficit in the blink of an eye did it. Also, I had no strong feelings about San Francisco, so unlike a game against Denver, Pittsburgh or New England there was no hate factor involved.
This is one of my favorite quotes reading through the thread. Happened when the Niners were starting their drive after Mahomes 2nd INT.

It ain't over yet, ladies. But the defense needs to step up right ****ing now.

[Reply]
Rain Man 07:59 PM 07-23-2020
Y'know, the weird thing is that I was exactly the same way. I simply watched the game and I enjoyed it. When Damien broke left to clench the win, my wife and I hugged and I grinned really big, but that was it. I figured I'd start bawling or something as fifty years of waiting unleashed itself. But no. I just grinned.

Oddly, I actually feel more emotion about it afterwards. If I think about the big plays in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, I'll actually tear up sometimes four months later.

I never thought it would be like that. Maybe it's like Disneyland for the first time, or taking a big trip. When it's happening you're focused on enjoying it in the moment, and then later you really start appreciating what it was.

I'll tell you this, though. For the rest of my life I'm going to remember flying off that hotel room bed onto my feet and yelling when that kickoff fumble flew out into Darwin's hands against the Texans.
[Reply]
crispystl 08:09 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Y'know, the weird thing is that I was exactly the same way. I simply watched the game and I enjoyed it. When Damien broke left to clench the win, my wife and I hugged and I grinned really big, but that was it. I figured I'd start bawling or something as fifty years of waiting unleashed itself. But no. I just grinned.

Oddly, I actually feel more emotion about it afterwards. If I think about the big plays in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, I'll actually tear up sometimes four months later.

I never thought it would be like that. Maybe it's like Disneyland for the first time, or taking a big trip. When it's happening you're focused on enjoying it in the moment, and then later you really start appreciating what it was.

I'll tell you this, though. For the rest of my life I'm going to remember flying off that hotel room bed onto my feet and yelling when that kickoff fumble flew out into Darwin's hands against the Texans.
Same for me too. My wife and son always joked about what I would do if we actually WON, but it wasn't anything crazy, just a sense of pure satisfaction.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:16 PM 07-23-2020

I was a drunken emotional mess when they beat the goddamn Colts at Arrowhead in the 2018 playoffs. Finally staked those dreamcrushing pricks and got the no winning at home monkey off our backs. That’s the happiest I’ve ever been after a Chiefs game.
[Reply]
DJay23 08:39 PM 07-23-2020

Same here. Two plays choke me up. The Sammy Watkins 60 yarder that all but clinched the AFCCG. WHen you watch the replay after Watkins crosses the goal line, the camera cuts to Mahomes with his arms raised and the crowd going bananas in the background. The other is the Damien clincher.

THose two plays in the moment I was excited, jumping up and down, giddy with excitement. Not a tear to be found. But now, I get choked up watching those two plays.
[Reply]
Coogs 08:48 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by DJay23:
Same here. Two plays choke me up. The Sammy Watkins 60 yarder that all but clinched the AFCCG. WHen you watch the replay after Watkins crosses the goal line, the camera cuts to Mahomes with his arms raised and the crowd going bananas in the background. The other is the Damien clincher.

THose two plays in the moment I was excited, jumping up and down, giddy with excitement. Not a tear to be found. But now, I get choked up watching those two plays.
My two were the pass to Watkins in the Super Bowl that gave us 1st and goal on the 10. Down 3, a tie was in the bag. But I just knew we were going to score and go up by 4. That is when I thought that holy shit, this is gonna happen again in my lifetime.

The other was the Mahomes TD right before half against the Titans. I knew the Titans record under Vrabel when tied or ahead at halftime was unblemished. FG ties us. Mahomes run put us ahead. Second half was nerve wracking, but I still felt confident at that point.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:47 PM 07-23-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I've read some rumblings that many think that hit caused Jimmy G a slight concussion. I wouldn't be surprised because he was legitimately night and day from that point.
Do you remember when Alex used to unravel a bit after taking a few shots? Usually it'd end up with him getting happy feet, be quicker to run the ball, and abandon clean pockets. IF Alex got hit AFTER that, these tendencies would magnify themselves on an exponential level.

I would argue we first started seeing Jimmy unravel after taking a hit from Hitchens on the previous drive. Not only that, the hit from Hitch was immediately followed up with another hit from Fenton. After that drive, it felt like we started seeing Happy Feet Jimmy where he was quick to release the football, ignore secondary targets (he missed a wide open George Kittle on the 3rd and 5 where he took that shot from Niemann AND a wide open Bourne from Fenton's busted coverage on the 3rd and 10 overthrow to Sanders) but once he got lit up from Ben, it felt like it was straight up curtains at that point.

I am so happy we scored a TD and that Andy planned to go for it on 4th down had Williams not made it in (though I would have been a nervous disaster). Because the Niners could have played their game through Mostert to set up a game winning field goal, a touchdown forced Jimmy to throw, and basically locked the title in for us.

This is exactly how I feel. My respect for the Niners has gone up immensely since the Super Bowl. Shanny Jr's offense is legitimately fun to watch, it's a hugely creative evolution of his Dad's game. They can attack you with multiple home run hitters (Mostert, Samuel, Sanders last year), and if they use those threats as a misdirect, Jimmy can roll out and hit a wide open Kittle or Juice, both of whom can gash your defense for 15-20 yards at a time. They were simply a machine last year.

Couple that with their defense, a defense many of us did not give due credit coming into the game (a few did, if you go back through the Let's talk about the 49ers thread). That pass rush had all time talent and they allowed the fewest 20+ yard plays than any D had in the last decade. That pass rush crushed pockets with ease and had the potential to force a turnover on any opposing offensive play. They were as complete of an opponent as we've had in the last two seasons, with one big exception, they lacked a quarterback who can lead the team on a game winning touchdown drive. Something Chiefs fans know all too well is almost always a requirement in the postseason.

They were a combination of the 97' Chiefs and Broncos, basically the perfect cathartic opponent we could have had after decades of playoff futility. The final game of the season could not have been drawn up any better. They felt like the perfect counterbalance to us, the ultimate pass rush vs Patrick Mahomes, and a dazzling running game against a defense that had been gashed by the run repeatedly. The fact it was against the franchise that had delivered us so many game-manager QB's and a coach who was the direct descendant of our biggest rival made the match-up that much sweeter. From a league perspective, the fact that we were seeing a coach who had revolutionized Walsh's WCO against a coach that had revolutionized the run heavy Shanahan variant of the WCO made the match-up a marquee one from the get-go.

In terms of my own mental state - I was a nervous wreck through the game, but I was never angry, even after the 2nd INT. The only thing I could think of was "what if this virus I'm hearing about cancels the NFL after a SB loss? That'd be so #BecauseChiefs." My wife was actually more down about the game than I was at that point. The comeback for me, felt surreal, I still couldn't believe it played out that way. I always wondered if I'd cry too, but my amazement over the fact that the Kansas City Chiefs had won the Super Bowl just stood above all else.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 10:18 PM 07-23-2020

The feeling when Damien broke the killing run, to know it was over, after all those years, this year's playoff comebacks....knowing we were SB champs....I went outside on my dad's deck and just started yelling.

Evidently I was the only Chief fan within miles because nobody else was yelling back.
[Reply]
Page 278 of 283
« First < 178228268274275276277278 279280281282 > Last »
Up