ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Jr's opinion on Athletic Testing vs Blocking Technique
Tribal Warfare 09:42 AM 04-26-2021

While my game is played by manipulating angles and understanding where the QB will be in his drop, some get to a spot and react from there. The reason that the numbers in the drills are so “valuable” is because they believe you have to be a “athlete” to react..

— Orlando Brown Jr. (@ZEUS__78) February 26, 2019

When drafting a OL you’d think because he bends and moves a certain way he’d be successful but without the understanding of your abilities you will get lost in the shuffle. I’m not the best bender but I’ve got long arms. I understand that if a defender goes to dip

week many evaluators will write off several OL because of his “lack of athleticism”. I’m here to tell you to pay attention to his film, figure out how he manipulates his blocks based off his tools, and don’t count him out cause he isn’t a Super athlete.

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 04-26-2021
Ironically, Brown's analysis suggest that many of the guys I did NOT like at #31 would have been reasonable choices after all.

Had we not traded for Brown, that is.

:-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:19 AM 04-26-2021
Real time look at Zeus refining his technique

via GIFER

[Reply]
wazu 10:23 AM 04-26-2021
That's a pretty damn good case Orlando made for himself. Wouldn't really matter if he didn't go out after that and back it up on the field, but he did. Really excited to have this guy.
[Reply]
Dante84 10:33 AM 04-26-2021
Prior to the trade, I had made the (incorrect) assumption that his lack of bend and the resulting top-heavy reach would set him up to get dominated on low-man, quick-bending, high-speed edge rushers; especially in a more pass-heavy offense.

That said, after the trade, I dug in a little more and heard him talk about that specific facet of his game. He is keenly aware that he has the long-arm reach, but he also explained that knows how to counter with his balance so that he doesn't get smoked because of it. It has to do with his weight and his frame coupled with his long arms.

So basically, what some might consider a weakness or a shortcoming used as a crutch to make up for lack of athleticism, he is simply exploiting his body's ability to cheat that area of the game. And the stats (sacks/pressures) and pro-bowl appearances seem to back that up.

If that translates to our offense, and he continues to refine his game, we could be looking at a hall-of-fame duo with him and Mahomes for the next 10 years.
[Reply]
TLO 10:35 AM 04-26-2021
Can we give him a stupid ass nickname like "Silverback"?

How about Gorilla Glue?
Gorilla Joe?
Long Schlong Silvers?
The Great Wall of Brown?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:36 AM 04-26-2021
He strikes me as a guy who spends as much time watching Sumo as other OL do FB and MMA.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Prior to the trade, I had made the (incorrect) assumption that his lack of bend and the resulting top-heavy reach would set him up to get dominated on low-man, quick-bending, high-speed edge rushers; especially in a more pass-heavy offense.

That said, after the trade, I dug in a little more and heard him talk about that specific facet of his game. He is keenly aware that he has the long-arm reach, but he also explained that knows how to counter with his balance so that he doesn't get smoked because of it. It has to do with his weight and his frame coupled with his long arms.

So basically, what some might consider a weakness or a shortcoming used as a crutch to make up for lack of athleticism, he is simply exploiting his body's ability to cheat that area of the game. And the stats (sacks/pressures) and pro-bowl appearances seem to back that up.

If that translates to our offense, and he continues to refine his game, we could be looking at a hall-of-fame duo with him and Mahomes for the next 10 years.
Yep.

We got a guy that is a physical specimen in a certain mold, with all the inherent strengths and weaknesses that come with it.

What we also got, however, appears to be an offensive tackle that approaches the game like a QB. A guy that approaches the game cerebrally and works to refine technique and react to the game as it changes around him.

I'm getting super excited to see him play with Mahomes. Like I said in the other thread, I think this could end up being a pivotal moment in the Andy Reid era.

I'm super, super high on this trade.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:40 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:

How about Gorilla Glue?
Gorilla Joe?
Long Schlong Silvers?
The Great Wall of Brown?
Since his dad was Zeus, . . . :-)

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 10:41 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:

How about Gorilla Glue?
Gorilla Joe?
Long Schlong Silvers?
The Great Wall of Brown?
The Artist
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:41 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Since his dad was Zeus, maybe we could start the Klumps' 'Heracles!! Heracles!!' chant for him. . . :-)

[Reply]
loochy 10:43 AM 04-26-2021
OB is a thinking man. I like that.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:00 AM 04-26-2021
I remember after the 2018 draft thinking the Ravens killed it.

And I was still too low.

Lamar Jackson
Orlando Brown
Mark Andrews
Hayden Hurst
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:04 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I remember after the 2018 draft thinking the Ravens killed it.

And I was still too low.

Lamar Jackson
Orlando Brown
Mark Andrews
Hayden Hurst
They do draft well, don't they?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:07 AM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
They do draft well, don't they?
3 Pro Bowl players AFTER their 1st pick.

That's insane.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up