ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Attorney recommendations in KC area? Ex trying to bend me over for child support
baitism 05:51 PM 09-28-2020
Any help would be much appreciated.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 05:17 PM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
Hope your right. I think it’s ridiculous when someone has to pay like 10k a month in child support just because they have a lot of money. We know it’s mom spending that shit
I assure you that this deadbeat won't be paying $10K/month. If he had an income that warranted $10K/month, he would already have a lawyer to help with other fiscal legal issues and wouldn't be on here asking about a lawyer. He's in OP, and in KS child support is calculated at roughly 16% of gross income so he would be making ~$750K/year. Anyone making $750K/year and bitching about child support in the $10K/month range shouldn't be a father in the first place.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 05:20 PM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
I assure you that this deadbeat won't be paying $10K/month. If he had an income that warranted $10K/month, he would already have a lawyer to help with other fiscal legal issues and wouldn't be on here asking about a lawyer. He's in OP, and in KS child support is calculated at roughly 16% of gross income so he would be making ~$750K/year. Anyone making $750K/year and bitching about child support in the $10K/month range shouldn't be a father in the first place.
end of thread... Right on FE
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 05:26 PM 09-30-2020
Why raze the dude over it? I've seen plenty of guys screwed over. Doesn't mean he doesn't want to support his kid. Jeez....
[Reply]
kcpasco 05:36 PM 09-30-2020
Get a good lawyer and just accept family court is a giant scam. Good luck.
[Reply]
Eureka 05:59 PM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Do you have kids? This reads like you don't.

Why should either parent with primary custody (mother or father) bear all the costs of raising the child just because they're equivalent in earnings to their former spouse?

Raising kids is EFFING EXPENSIVE. If you're a single parent who works, kids are in daycare until they're in school and then you have after care and all the other endless streams of things that cost major bucks (health insurance, activities, clothes, food).

Equal custody is also something that just doesn't make a lot of sense for the CHILDREN. Living in a different house full-time each week is detrimental to daily schedules (including sleep schedules) and it could interrupt school attendance.
I just had my first child. I waited til I was older and married Unlike some of my friends that I mentioned.

I was just referencing some of my friends and what happened in their divorces. If parents are making the same amount of money and sharing custody then why should child support be given to either one? I agree if one parent is making lots more money then child support shouldn't be given or there is a primary parent. You make some good points.

My Friends kids who split weeks seem to be well adjusted teenagers. Maybe, it's not for every family situation. I'm sure there are all type of different scenarios that happen when it comes to divorce court and child support. Again I was just referencing what I knew of some of my friends divorces.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:04 PM 09-30-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
I just had my first child. I waited til I was older and married Unlike some of my friends that I mentioned.

I was just referencing some of my friends and what happened in their divorces. If parents are making the same amount of money and sharing custody then why should child support be given to either one? I agree if one parent is making lots more money then child support shouldn't be given or there is a primary parent. You make some good points.

My Friends kids who split weeks seem to be well adjusted teenagers. Maybe, it's not for every family situation. I'm sure there are all type of different scenarios that happen when it comes to divorce court and child support. Again I was just referencing what I knew of some of my friends divorces.

Congrats on becoming a Dad. It’s a good gig.

I could see situations where split weeks work but both parents have to be in the school district and it has to be easy to travel back and forth.

Re: costs... whichever parent is footing the bill for healthcare should get support from the spouse for that (or, if parent paying child support is providing insurance, credit for it). If it is truly amicable costs could be split up evenly otherwise. That’s tough to maintain, though.

My main thing is saying a primary custody parent absolutely deserves CS.

I can’t imagine being a single parent amidst all this year. Costs are crazy ... no child care during the day.
[Reply]
candyman 06:09 PM 09-30-2020
If in MO they will determine support based on both of your incomes and time spent with child. There's a formula involved so you can't really get "screwed". Now if you have a good income, she doesn't work, and you only get the kid on weekends you're probably not going to be happy with the amount.

Your best bet is to get a family attorney and fight for at least joint custody where the kids spend equal time with you as mom. Hopefully time with your kids is just as important to you as not getting screwed on child support.
[Reply]
Eureka 09:47 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Congrats on becoming a Dad. It’s a good gig.

I could see situations where split weeks work but both parents have to be in the school district and it has to be easy to travel back and forth.

Re: costs... whichever parent is footing the bill for healthcare should get support from the spouse for that (or, if parent paying child support is providing insurance, credit for it). If it is truly amicable costs could be split up evenly otherwise. That’s tough to maintain, though.

My main thing is saying a primary custody parent absolutely deserves CS.

I can’t imagine being a single parent amidst all this year. Costs are crazy ... no child care during the day.
Hey Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure there are lots of parents who don't get CS. My older brother's ex up and left when the baby was 2. He never received a dime in child support from her.

If the OP is the breadwinner then he is going to pay support. Best that he gets his children an equal amount of time.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:16 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Why raze the dude over it? I've seen plenty of guys screwed over..
I doubt that’s true. I’m not a divorce lawyer but all these arrangements are decided by a formula. Therefore nobody really gets “screwed over” unless you feel the formulas themselves are unfair.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:42 AM 10-01-2020
I'm just glad my dad fought like hell to get custody and wasn't just a sperm donor. It's disheartening to think about the trauma divorce inflicted on me as a kid to only see it be reduced to dollars and cents for the adults. Take care of your kids dudes.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:06 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by candyman:
If in MO they will determine support based on both of your incomes and time spent with child. There's a formula involved so you can't really get "screwed". Now if you have a good income, she doesn't work, and you only get the kid on weekends you're probably not going to be happy with the amount.

Your best bet is to get a family attorney and fight for at least joint custody where the kids spend equal time with you as mom. Hopefully time with your kids is just as important to you as not getting screwed on child support.
Most of the time equal custody isn't possible or if it is its not what is best for the kids. Kids need to have structure and spending every other week at a different home is just not very good for kids. That's not even taking school into the equation. Equal time is impossible if you're in the same town.
[Reply]
srvy 11:22 AM 10-01-2020

[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:27 AM 10-01-2020
Money is not relevant. The welfare of the child(ren) is. You will be speaking with this woman for at least till those children are 18yrs of age. Make the most of it. Judging from the OP he is looking for a pissing match not realizing that the court determines the amount of child support due, not the mother.
[Reply]
Chazno 11:38 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Money is not relevant. The welfare of the child(ren) is. You will be speaking with this woman for at least till those children are 18yrs of age. Make the most of it. Judging from the OP he is looking for a pissing match not realizing that the court determines the amount of child support due, not the mother.
The issue is the facts given to the court to make that decision are up for dispute. If she says that the most she can make is 20k a year running an in home day care, but she has a nursing degree, the court can impute her income as that of a nurse making it so he doesn't have to pay as much. This is the same reason him quitting his job and working at BK wouldn't do anything. They would just take his wage at the job he quit and set child support off that.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:31 PM 10-01-2020
I have had friends fight that formula and win. just remember she has to pay her lawyer so she either has $$$ or give great head in able to get decent representation. My ex had to borrow against her retirement to pay $16K to get divorced from me. She never gave great head.

No woman deserves to live in luxury when the breadwinner makes big bucks. It's like the ex wife is asking for money to get the GED she never found a way to obtain. She can live in a low maintenance, nice place without a 3 car garage, tennis court, and a pool.

My divorce atty contact does nothing but financial planning working with both parties to settle rich peoples divorces with both parties loosing as little to taxes and penalties as possible.But I bet he knows every atty worth their salt in a Jo Co Divorce.

Their objection was that the kids do not have to live in a $1M house to go to the same school and have the same friends. He wanted to support his children, not his ex wife.

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:

[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up