Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>AT&T Buys DirecTV for $48 billion
tk13 03:36 PM 05-18-2014
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...82d_story.html

Originally Posted by :
AT&T, DirecTV announce $48 billion merger

By Cecilia Kang, Sunday, May 18, 5:16 PM E-mail the writer

AT&T and DirecTV on Sunday announced an approximately $48 billion merger that would create a new telecom and television behemoth to rival cable firms — while raising fresh concerns over competition and options for consumers.

AT&T would gain DirecTV’s 20 million U.S. subscribers, a company with strong cash flows and an ability to fatten its bundle of offerings. The combined firm would be able to offer phone, high-speed Internet and paid television subscriptions to more customers — packages only cable firms such as Comcast have been able to sell.

It is the latest mega-merger to be announced this year in a dramatically shifting telecommunications industry. The titans of the industry have recently rushed to bulk up — in overall size and in diversity of service offerings — as their legacy phone and television businesses fray and consumers turn to the Internet for communications and entertainment.

The deals, which must be approved by federal regulators, have prompted new concern that consumers could be left with fewer options and even higher prices after years of creeping increases in monthly bills. Last year, U.S. cable television prices increased 5.1 percent to an average $64, triple the rate of inflation, according to a government report.

“The industry needs more competition, not more mergers,” said John Bergmayer, a senior staff attorney at Public Knowledge, a nonprofit consumer advocacy group. “We’ll have to analyze this one carefully for potential harms both to the video programming and the wireless markets.”

After a failed attempt three years ago at buying wireless provider T-Mobile, AT&T had been searching for alternative acquisitions. But its choices were limited, with regulators expressing great concern that the wireless and high-speed-Internet markets were not competitive enough.

The Dallas-based company said it would gain broad strategic benefits from buying the nation’s second-largest paid-television provider. The phone giant would have greater power with television programmers to bring down licensing costs. And as the nation’s second-largest wireless carrier, it could use its new prominence in the television industry to bring videos to its mobile customers. El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV has an exclusive contracts with programmers, including NFL Sunday Ticket, which allows football fans to watch their favorite teams even if they live outside the local television markets serving the teams.

[Reply]
alnorth 03:40 PM 05-18-2014
Unlike the rejected bid to buy T-mobile, I expect this one would get approved by the Feds. There would not be an elimination of a competitor in either the TV industry or the cell phone industry, and the merger might improve both.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:42 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by alnorth:
Unlike the rejected bid to buy T-mobile, I expect this one would get approved by the Feds. There would not be an elimination of a competitor in either the TV industry or the cell phone industry, and the merger might improve both.
Actually it would eliminate TV competition where AT&T is providing their U-Verse product

Hopefully this gets rejected.
[Reply]
notorious 03:47 PM 05-18-2014
God Damnit.

DirecTV had good customer service. That is probably going to change now.
[Reply]
In58men 03:51 PM 05-18-2014
What does this do for the Sunday ticket?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 03:51 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by notorious:
God Damnit.

DirecTV had good customer service. That is probably going to change now.
I've never had a problem with AT&T..

You just have to accept that fact that their in-store cellular service is slow as fuck.
[Reply]
splatbass 03:54 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
What does this do for the Sunday ticket?
I hope they make the streaming version available to more people, instead of just DirectTV customers.
[Reply]
Coach 03:54 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

You just have to accept that fact that their in-store cellular service is slow as fuck.
Ditto. I am a new customer for AT&T for U-Verse and wireless, and haven't had any problems with them yet. They been pretty good as far as customer service for me.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:00 PM 05-18-2014
I believe AT&T has sold DirectTV in their stores for a while now. Essentially with Uverse and DirectTV they have more bargaining power and subscribers now. Adding DirectTV will essentially strengthen the Uverse brand.
[Reply]
splatbass 04:02 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

You just have to accept that fact that their in-store cellular service is slow as ****.
I have. Horrible customer service. I switched my plan online a few months ago. After a full day it wasn't switched, so I called. There was no record of the switch. The guy assured me he took care of it. Another day, still no switch, I call back and the person said there was no record of either previous transaction. She assured me should would take care of it. The next day, SAME THING. No record of my previous calls, no switch. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and told them I was going to switch to T-Mobile (who had just made the offer to pay the fees for people that switched). She finally took care of it.

The fact that I had three transactions - one online and two on the phone - and there was no record of any of them is extremely disturbing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:02 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by notorious:
DirecTV had good customer service.
On what planet?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:03 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
On what planet?
The phone support end is horrible, the tech guys have always been pretty good IMO.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:03 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Actually it would eliminate TV competition where AT&T is providing their U-Verse product

Hopefully this gets rejected.
Actually, the speculation is that AT&T is out of resources on it's residential broadband network and looking to offload wireline customers to DirecTV in order to save bandwidth.

They tried to hedge their bets by using vDSL over copper and it failed.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:04 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
The phone support end is horrible, the tech guys have always been pretty good IMO.
Well yeah but most of the tech guys are independent contractors...
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:06 PM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Actually, the speculation is that AT&T is out of resources on it's residential broadband network and looking to offload wireline customers to DirecTV in order to save bandwidth.

They tried to hedge their bets by using vDSL over copper and it failed.
They never did full fiber to the home. Except in brand new neighborhoods.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Up