ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:48 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Everything is garbage from a certain perspective.
In this case, the perspective is one overlooking Pantera.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 11:28 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
In this case, the perspective is one overlooking Pantera.
If you've "overlooked" Pantera they shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that you're the house music critic, but I don't get how you could call Pantera "garbage".
Is it because their not as obscure as Caninus, Anal Cunt or Napalm Death?
If Pantera were from Sweden would they get your approval?:-)
[Reply]
Lzen 11:18 AM 02-01-2014
Pantera is garbage. Somebody fix this thread.
Wow. For someone who brags about supposedly great taste music, you don't really have great taste in music.
[Reply]
Reaper16 11:39 AM 02-01-2014
If you've "overlooked" Pantera they shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that you're the house music critic, but I don't get how you could call Pantera "garbage".
Is it because their not as obscure as Caninus, Anal Cunt or Napalm Death?
If Pantera were from Sweden would they get your approval?:-)
I don't only like obscure things. Besides, Pantera doesn't sound anything like those bands. What Pantera sounds like is Exhorder, whom Pantera totally ripped off.

I do like a handful of Pantera tracks (Cemetery Gates primarily.) I guess I can dig the whole Cowboys From Hell album, more or less. The others are just so boring. Like, their whole "groove metal" sound was always pretty tiresome even on an album I kinda like. I mean, compared to the riff quotient of a thrash or death metal band. Even black metal, with its emphasis on atmosphere, brings more riffs to the table than the average Pantera song does.

For those reasons, Pantera are underwhelming to me. Dimebag is a great guitar player (though he is certainly overrated and is sadly influential), but an incredibly overrated songwriter. The Vulgar Display of Power album makes me want to throw up. Out of sheer boredom.

Originally Posted by Lzen:
Wow. For someone who brags about supposedly great taste music, you don't really have great taste in music.
Go listen to John Petrucci try and fail for the thirtieth time to write a decent song. Be sure to report back.
[Reply]
Lzen 11:55 AM 02-01-2014
I don't only like obscure things. Besides, Pantera doesn't sound anything like those bands. What Pantera sounds like is Exhorder, whom Pantera totally ripped off.

I do like a handful of Pantera tracks (Cemetery Gates primarily.) I guess I can dig the whole Cowboys From Hell album, more or less. The others are just so boring. Like, their whole "groove metal" sound was always pretty tiresome even on an album I kinda like. I mean, compared to the riff quotient of a thrash or death metal band. Even black metal, with its emphasis on atmosphere, brings more riffs to the table than the average Pantera song does.

For those reasons, Pantera are underwhelming to me. Dimebag is a great guitar player (though he is certainly overrated and is sadly influential), but an incredibly overrated songwriter. The Vulgar Display of Power album makes me want to throw up. Out of sheer boredom.

Go listen to John Petrucci try and fail for the thirtieth time to write a decent song. Be sure to report back.
Your and idiot. :-)
[Reply]
mdstu 01:15 PM 02-01-2014
I don't know about that... He sings his balls off in Cemetery Gates.

Lotta' range there.
He was at Ozzfest 2004 with Superjoint Ritual, he was so bad I was embarrassed for him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:16 PM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by mdstu:
He was at Ozzfest 2004 with Superjoint Ritual, he was so bad I was embarrassed for him.
He was pretty fucked up a lot of the time. Not a great singer to begin with and even worse when he was loaded.
[Reply]
mdstu 01:26 PM 02-01-2014
I don't know if he was loaded or not, but he deserves his ass kicked for making me listen to that shit. I seriously would have went out to my car for a half hour if they would have let me back in.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:29 PM 02-01-2014
I don't know if he was loaded or not, but he deserves his ass kicked for making me listen to that shit. I seriously would have went out to my car for a half hour if they would have let me back in.
He was a well-known heroin user during that time. I'm honestly not surprised.
[Reply]
mdstu 01:35 PM 02-01-2014
In his defense, if I was an 80's or 90's rock/metal star, I probably would have been an addict as well. It just looks like so much fun.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:38 PM 02-01-2014
In his defense, if I was an 80's or 90's rock/metal star, I probably would have been an addict as well. It just looks like so much fun.
Well to take this full circle, Dave Mustaine said he started doing heroin specifically for that reason. He wanted to be a rock star and rock stars did heroin.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:20 AM 02-28-2014
Just listened to "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"

....further evidence

Mustaine go the the royal Metallica shaft
[Reply]
Pushead2 02:53 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Just listened to "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"

....further evidence

Mustaine go the the royal Metallica shaft
My biggest gripe with Mustaine is that he wouldn't let go of certain Metallica riffs he had a hand in.

I've said it before in this thread, when he wasn't thinking "Metallica" while writing, that's when Megadeth is better musically. Vocals are a whole other story.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:32 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Pushead2:
My biggest gripe with Mustaine is that he wouldn't let go of certain Metallica riffs he had a hand in.

I've said it before in this thread, when he wasn't thinking "Metallica" while writing, that's when Megadeth is better musically. Vocals are a whole other story.
I like his vocals. Distinct and different.
[Reply]
Dayze 03:03 AM 03-09-2014
I just watched more Megadeth...yeah, so coming from a die hard Metallica fan, I'm humbled to say Megadeth is so much better. Why I didn't get into them earlier I have no idea. Even their equivelant of Metallica's "Black album" (Symphony of Destruction) smokes Metallica.

Never thought I'd say this blasphemy

Side note......Friedman's shit makes Hammet's shit look like child's play.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 26
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up