ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 46 of 46
« First < 364243444546
Nzoner's Game Room>Any fishkeepers here? Saltwater or freshwater
Silock 04:02 AM 11-16-2011
I'm looking at starting up a saltwater tank. Is there a good fish store in the KC area without driving out to Lawrence?
[Reply]
Holladay 11:21 PM 08-21-2021

[Reply]
Holladay 11:22 PM 08-21-2021

[Reply]
Holladay 11:26 PM 08-21-2021

[Reply]
Holladay 11:28 PM 08-21-2021

[Reply]
Holladay 11:28 PM 08-21-2021
These are some I have in my tank and some on order.

Yes, a fresh water tank.
[Reply]
Fish 11:50 PM 08-21-2021
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Ummmm... in your tank? This pic is from the Flowerhorn Cichlid World Championship CIPS 2017. You can see the still pic above at the 2:50 video below. Are you really a World Championship Flowerhorn owner?

Aquarists community Canada?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00790385623731
[Reply]
Fish 11:52 PM 08-21-2021
China International Pet Show (CIPS)??
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:53 PM 08-21-2021
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Rodan

King Ghidorah
A pleco?

Actually no and I actually said his name was King Ghidorah, but his name was Rodan and very fluent swimmer. Rodan was a dinosaur fish and King Ghidorah was a dragon fish and he died like a year ago :-) I'm hoping to find them again but there just isn't any place good near by and fuck you Walmart for knocking out mom and pop shops that sold fish and then quit selling them yourselves. Again FUCK YOU Walmart.
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:55 PM 08-21-2021
Rodan would swim around all majestic like and King Ghidorah was kinda clunky and not graceful at all because Dragon fish have bad eye sight but dinosaur fish have good eye sight.
[Reply]
TEX 08:03 AM 08-22-2021
I kept a Cichlid tank for years. Pretty aggressive and territorial. Many make the mistake of cramming as many in the tank they can fit, and then what happens is they'll lose them to predation and stress related issues. Got to give them plenty of room and hiding places for them to call thrir own. Do that and you'll get years of enjoyment. I was able to successfully breed them.
[Reply]
Holladay 03:27 PM 08-22-2021
Of course that is my award winning Flowerhorn:-) That is not my fish. I should have been more specific. A Flowerhorn is one of the fish I have on order. They arrived at Petco DOA. An aside, the most expensive fish sold was a Flowerhorn in Taiwan for $600k :-) It might have been that fish.

All the pics I have put up are stock photos to give an idea what I am trying to accomplish. Some I have, some, in theory are on order.

I have some nice pics of my setup on my phone. I can't seem to get them to download to my computer. I will once I break the code.
[Reply]
Holladay 03:32 PM 08-22-2021
I believe that is a Dinosaur Bichir. They are almost blind and deaf. Nocturnal bottom hunters. They would go well in a cichlid tank.

How big did he get?
[Reply]
Holladay 04:11 PM 08-22-2021
Originally Posted by :
I kept a Cichlid tank for years. Pretty aggressive and territorial. Many make the mistake of cramming as many in the tank they can fit, and then what happens is they'll lose them to predation and stress related issues. Got to give them plenty of room and hiding places for them to call thrir own.
I have had cichlid tanks for +30 years. Your are correct in aggressiveness and territorial. There many articles written about the "Over Populated" theory though. It requires the right set up. The premise is that they are so busy trying to run off fish from their territory that no one fish can establish it as theirs. I am sure you have seen pics of these tanks. Very active. I am not sure as to the stress part. I have had over populated tanks for years. No problem if you have the correct tank set up and select the right fish.

The opposite of the spectrum is fewer and they establish their hidy hole, and NO ONE can approach or get beat up. That is also stress.

I don't know if you have followed the thread on my tank. 125g with +300 lbs of rocks to include ~30 hidy holes between the rock formations and the pipes/tubes (tiling/pvc) ranging from 5" and down. I can turn the water over 24x/hour. The massive filtration allows a large bio load. I have not had any diseases or deaths (other than age) in 20 yrs. My water conditions have been almost perfect for cichlids due to my set up.

I think the key is that they all grow up together. I have had many community tanks with my cichlids : giant danios, neons, cardinals, angels, gourami, beta, barbs...about anything you can think of....if they grow up together! They are not food or enemies but buddies.

Don't throw in an Oscar/Dempsey et al. that has been living in a tank by himself into a community tank. Mayhem.

Just observations and thoughts.
[Reply]
Holladay 09:53 PM 08-31-2021
This tank is a BLAST.

It is not dog fighting, it is fish fighting. Very active. I can sit and watch, not for hours, but you get the jist.

I wish I could post pics. I am digit dumb. I got pics on my phone and can up load for emails and whatsapp. But I can't seem to upload to the CP. I have all of the pics on my office computer. Dunno.

The Flowerhorn and the Oscar, all of 2" each kind of go at each other. But in a 125g, they get lost. The Flowerhorn, Acei and the Blue Acara are going to be show stoppers. The Johanni are dicks. But again with all the rock and 125g, they get lost also.

After a month, all fish are healthy, happy and doing what Cichlids do.

What Cichlid forum do you use?
[Reply]
Holladay 09:59 PM 08-31-2021
Seems like the FishForums is one of the largest.

Threads 451,045
Messages 4,050,142
Members 95,535

Largest doesn't mean the best and homey.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 46
« First < 364243444546
Up