ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Goodell looking toward 18-game season, more international games
tk13 12:41 PM 04-26-2024
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...end-super-bowl

Originally Posted by :
Goodell, during an appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show" on Friday, shared his long-term vision, one that involves numerous changes to the season's current format.

Specifically, Goodell said he would embrace a schedule featuring 18 regular-season games and two preseason contests, a significant shift from the current 17 regular-season and three preseason contests that was implemented in 2021.

"I think we're good at 17 now," Goodell said. "But, listen, we're looking at how we continue. I'm not a fan of the preseason." Then, gesturing toward a group of fans assembled nearby, Goodell said, "And I don't think these guys like it either." He continued: "The reality is, I'd rather replace a preseason game with a regular-season game any day. That's just picking quality. If we get to 18 and 2, that's not an unreasonable thing."

Adding an additional regular-season game could, theoretically, result in a second bye week being added, which would lengthen the regular season. But Goodell would welcome that, he said, as he envisions a Presidents Day weekend built around the Super Bowl on Sunday night.

---

Goodell also spoke about a future increase to the number of games played internationally, saying he envisions as many as 16 regular-season games being played abroad, perhaps, within the next 10 years. The NFL is adding additional international markets, including Brazil this year and Spain next year.

As for whether a team or division will ever be based overseas, Goodell seemed less certain.

"Will a franchise ever happen or a division?" he said. "Maybe. I think that's beyond 10 years though."

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:41 PM 04-26-2024
We're gonna be playing Super Bowls in March at this rate.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:43 PM 04-26-2024
They have ALWAYS wanted that, 18 games is the easiest path to expansion.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 12:43 PM 04-26-2024
Feel like injuries will be an even bigger issue - not because of the one extra game, but because teams are going to have to play starters even more in the two PS games to get them ready.

Or you're not going to play them at all, which is a recipe for disaster as well.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:44 PM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
We're gonna be playing Super Bowls in March at this rate.
That's the end game...start the season a bit earlier have it expand further out when not much is going on...

Think about it, 18 games means you can likely add a second bye now we have a 20 week season.

Expanded playoffs and all of the sudden the season has an extra month to make money.
[Reply]
Womble 12:44 PM 04-26-2024
If we let this stuff go too far, pretty soon we'll be fucking dogs.
[Reply]
cmh6476 12:48 PM 04-26-2024
As a STM I don't mind this concept.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:49 PM 04-26-2024
If you're going to do that....then increase the roster size.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 12:49 PM 04-26-2024
Monday after the Super Bowl falling on a holiday… Presidents’ Day… would be nice.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:50 PM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
That could happen but a 2nd bye is probably the first concession because that increases weeks of TV so more money.
[Reply]
el borracho 12:51 PM 04-26-2024
Are they going to expand the roster and/ or change the rules related to IR? Or are we just going to hope these guys can take the additional punishment?
[Reply]
scho63 01:00 PM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Great idea :-)
[Reply]
PHOG 01:04 PM 04-26-2024
I believe this was always the plan.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:16 PM 04-26-2024
Originally Posted by el borracho:
Are they going to expand the roster and/ or change the rules related to IR? Or are we just going to hope these guys can take the additional punishment?
Don't talk about health and safety when money is at stake.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:17 PM 04-26-2024
I may go when they hold the first game in the nation of Gabon. I hear that the national parks there are amazing.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up