ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:21 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Yep, our 4th loss was tithe Tits. Didn’t lose another after that. That said, lots of differences between that team and this one.

If you guys will remember back. 2019 our defense absolutely sucked games 1-8. After that it was the best in the NFL. Can that happen again. I dunno.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:24 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
:-):-):-):-):-):-)

Please tell me you don't believe this nonsense.
Andy Reid said it himself Veach kept telling him he needs to watch this kid from Tech. So yeah, Veach brought us mahomes. Dorsey was in charge to make the final.
[Reply]
Why Not? 06:25 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think it's clear that the stars n scrubs plan isn't working.

I like how aggressive Veach has been; but there have been a lot of misses. I'm not running him out of town yet, that would be dumb.

But we're going to need to change the plan going forward. You can get two good DE's (not great, but solid) for what we're paying Clark. A good safety and a good LB for what HB wants to get paid. Reed isn't even as good as Nnadi that's a complete waste of money. We're going to need to do like Belichick used to; mid-priced vets and over the hill guys with a little left in the tank to build a deep defense without any glaring holes. Just be solid everywhere. Draft well, and just be steady on defense.
Agreed
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:28 PM 10-25-2021
I remember before the season started how this was the most talented roster EVER and we were having to cut starters. Now we suck! LOL
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:44 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I remember before the season started how this was the most talented roster EVER and we were having to cut starters. Now we suck! LOL
I remember motherfuckers talking about 17-0.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:45 PM 10-25-2021
Yeah that was it for me too.

Either that or the jets game where we lost like 40-35 and Peters chucked his cleat into the stands.

Then we went on that little winning streak at the end of the year and I regained hope just enough to be suckered into buying tickets for the Wild Card game, where I got the swift kick in the balls I deserved for having faith.
"FORWARD PROGRESS"
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 06:54 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Brody Wa:
We have Sb with him. We didn’t win anything with Dorsey. Please tell me who discovered Mahomes if it wasn’t Veach.
Nobody "discovered" Mahomes. JFC.

First round quarterbacks aren't "discovered". They're known commodities that every team in the league does some level of diligence on.

And we won the Super Bowl on the back of Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and Chris Jones.

Players who John Dorsey is responsible for. But keep giving Veach credit for winning with Dorsey's players.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 06:58 PM 10-25-2021
Nobody "discovered" Mahomes. JFC.

First round quarterbacks aren't "discovered". They're known commodities that every team in the league does some level of diligence on.

And we won the Super Bowl on the back of Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and Chris Jones.

Players who John Dorsey is responsible for. But keep giving Veach credit for winning with Dorsey's players.
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
como is the John Dorsey dick sucker like Tigger and Mav sucked Alex Smith off.
You're damn right I'm sucking off the guy who drafted our Super Bowl winning core.

Honestly it's astounding that more people aren't sucking him off.

I guess people just want to believe the company line that Hunt and Reid kept feeding us. Which is that Dorsey sucked because he didn't kiss Andy and Clark's rings. We had the GM the Coach and the QB and thanks to Reid and Hunt We don't have the GM anymore.

We have an incompetent yes man stooge.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 06:58 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
That's what is goofy about this.

I get it. They sucked yesterday and the defense has sucked overall. But if you thought the roster was stacked before the year, you shouldn't completely reverse your opinion after 7 games. There's a middle ground.

Personally, I wasn't sold on the defense in the offseason. I was hoping for the best, but it felt like they didn't do enough. However, I still think it will ultimately look better by the end of the year. Just need to be able to scrape out enough wins to get into the postseason.
[Reply]
BossChief 07:00 PM 10-25-2021
We are probably the most studied team currently in the league. Everybody has been trying to find ways to beat us since Pat got here. They designed rosters and game plans specifically to attack us and it’s worked. There had been hints that trouble was brewing, but that SB was confirmation that teams had caught up.

This offseason gave us hope that we had developed a counter punch. A powerful and young offensive line to protect Pat and open holes for Clyde. The part that hurts is that it seems we really didn’t. We made huge investments in the OL and Pat is the most pressured QB in football. Niang and Brown both look outmatched.

We gave Chris Jones a huge deal. Jaraan Reed got a fully guaranteed deal…neither is a factor in games. Tyrann has been good, but somethings missing with him. Hitchens is a no show. Sorensen hit a wall. Frank Clark isn’t even a JAG…he sucks.

This team needs to purge itself of a few of those guys and find a way to reallocate those resources more effectively. Otherwise, I’m glad I really enjoyed our Super Bowl win…
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:28 PM 10-25-2021
The Chiefs just need to find a pass rush. The run defense has been shored up.

If the Chiefs find the right mix of blitzes and soft coverage, and get some stops, and the offense gets back to the form shown in Philly and Washington, we will be fine.

Pass rush is No. 1 issue. We were getting TEN in third and long and couldn't get off the field.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 07:30 PM 10-25-2021

[Reply]
Chieftain 07:36 PM 10-25-2021
I'll never panic about Mahomes because he has proven himself and he is entering his prime. To me the biggest obstacle in this team now is Bienemy and Spagnuolo.
Both need to go. Let Kafka manage the offense. Hire a young mind to work in the D. Get rid of all the oldies and underperformers in this team.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 07:48 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
We are still making the playoffs. Who are the seven teams that will finish above?

The only one I’m certain at this point is the Bills due to their schedule.

So six others to consider.

Titans? Probably.
Bengals? Good chance.
Ravens, Chargers, Raiders? Not buying all three, maybe two, possibly one.
Then you’ve got Browns? No.
Colts, Steelers, Patriots? Colts are the only potential one there.

So by my guess I only see four at most that would say odds are better than not they finish better. And really that’s probably your division winners so then you just need a team or two with four or five wins already to fall off to feel really good even dropping a few more games.
We're not in as dire of a spot as it seems. Even if both the Raiders and Chargers finish ahead of KC, we'd still just have to finish above the likes of the Colts, Browns, Patriots and Steelers. The Browns are decimated by injuries and have a brutal schedule. I don't see them going anywhere. I think the Colts lose at least 9 given their schedule. The Patriots might actually be the biggest threat. They're quietly becoming a decent team and they have several turds left on the schedule. I still think there's a good chance they'll lose 9 though.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:48 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
I'll never panic about Mahomes because he has proven himself and he is entering his prime. To me the biggest obstacle in this team now is Bienemy and Spagnuolo.
Both need to go. Let Kafka manage the offense. Hire a young mind to work in the D. Get rid of all the oldies and underperformers in this team.
Too bad our head coach is also an oldie and will never get rid of his buddies.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up