ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
notorious 03:28 PM 10-25-2021
Not panicking about Mahomes.

I am concerned about the talent level of the team.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 03:31 PM 10-25-2021
Fact: Brett Veach is a moron

Fiction: Brett Veach is responsible for Patrick Mahomes

Fact: John Dorsey would be an immediate upgrade over Brett Veach

Fiction: Brett Veach is responsible for us winning the Super Bowl

Fact: John Dorsey is more responsible for the Super Bowl victory than Brett Veach

Fiction: This team will win another Super Bowl with Brett Veach as GM
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:33 PM 10-25-2021
I'll panic if we don't make the playoffs.
[Reply]
notorious 03:33 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Fact: Brett Veach is a moron

Fiction: Brett Veach is responsible for Patrick Mahomes

Fact: John Dorsey would be an immediate upgrade over Brett Veach

Fiction: Brett Veach is responsible for us winning the Super Bowl

Fact: John Dorsey is more responsible for the Super Bowl victory than Brett Veach

Fiction: This team will win another Super Bowl with Brett Veach as GM

[Reply]
Shields68 03:33 PM 10-25-2021
To me the problems summed up

1) The offensive line is worse then when Schwartz Fischer were healthy in 2019 and 2020. Not sure why one would look at the make shift 3rd string line that played the super bowl and say we improved upon that line.

Teams are getting way too consistent pressure for only rushing 4.

2) The defense has been pathetic.

3) The schedule has been brutal.

4) Forcing throws too much.

Still think we can get to 10/11 wins playoffs and if the dee comes around some who knows. But clearly going to be a underdog in 2-3 playoff games if we do make the playoffs.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 03:39 PM 10-25-2021
This is great. It consolidates several thread discussions into one. Thanks for posting!
[Reply]
JakeF 03:42 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I'll panic if we don't make the playoffs.
By then, it will all be too late.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:43 PM 10-25-2021
FACT: Patrick Mahomes failed to throw a TD pass yesterday and is still #3 in TD passes in 2021 and on pace for 48
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:48 PM 10-25-2021
“What is true, though, is that the Chiefs haven't turned many of their short plays into bigger gains. They used to be the kings of YAC, and they haven't been in 2021. From 2018 to '20, they averaged 6.2 yards after catch, which was the second-best mark in football. They're down to 5.3 YAC this season, which ranks 19th. Part of that relates to the passes they are throwing. The average Mahomes pass before 2021 expected to generate 5.4 YAC; this season, that's down to 4.7 YAC. Hill has been far more inconsistent with the ball in his hands; he has exceeded his expected YAC just 38.8% of the time, down from nearly 53% over the prior three seasons.

Those moments in which Mahomes seems to bend time before finding an open receiver have also fizzled out. From 2018 to '20, he averaged 7.9 yards per attempt and posted a 87.1 QBR when he held the ball for at least five seconds before throwing. On those same passes this season, he's 5 of 16 for 83 yards and two picks, good for just 5.2 yards per attempt and a QBR of 2.4.

And whether it has been Mahomes itching to make plays, the deep coverage looks, randomness or some combination of the three, the Chiefs haven't been anywhere near as effective when he does get time to throw. When he wasn't pressured over the first three years of his run, they averaged 8.9 yards per dropback, which was fourth-best in the league. This season, the seeming inevitability of a receiver getting open hasn't been an inevitability at all; they're down to 7.7 yards per dropback, which ranks 22nd in the league without pressure.”

These three paragraphs highlight to me that Mahomes is just not seeing the field well, scanning the receivers, or anticipating throws like we are used to seeing.
[Reply]
Kman34 03:52 PM 10-25-2021
Yay… Another what’s wrong with Mahomes thread…
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:54 PM 10-25-2021
It is insane how unlucky we have been on turnovers, fumbles especially. 33% recovery rate wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t have 12 fumbles on the season. We are also only recovering 28% of fumbles on defense. So bad luck there too.
[Reply]
Valiant 03:55 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Shields68:
To me the problems summed up

1) The offensive line is worse then when Schwartz Fischer were healthy in 2019 and 2020. Not sure why one would look at the make shift 3rd string line that played the super bowl and say we improved upon that line.

Teams are getting way too consistent pressure for only rushing 4.

2) The defense has been pathetic.

3) The schedule has been brutal.

4) Forcing throws too much.

Still think we can get to 10/11 wins playoffs and if the dee comes around some who knows. But clearly going to be a underdog in 2-3 playoff games if we do make the playoffs.
That is because out front four suck and the online does not get proper practice against NFL defensive players.

The fact they handly get beat each week by a four man shows that.

Then on the flip, we get decimated by backup o lineman. Even while blitzing.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:57 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It is insane how unlucky we have been on turnovers, fumbles especially. 33% recovery rate wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t have 12 fumbles on the season. We are also only recovering 28% of fumbles on defense. So bad luck there too.
This is likely going to be the biggest area of improvement as the season progresses.

It is hard to believe that the Chiefs are going to keep turning the ball over at this rate... it's almost a statistical impossibility.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:58 PM 10-25-2021
I wonder on what basis has Matthieu not struggled as he says. I am fairly certain he is mostly invisible.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Up