ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>KC and Reid are not following the "Dynasty" model...
petegz28 07:02 PM 10-24-2021
We are purely an offensive team. And offensive passing team at that. We depend on our QB to consistently make elite play after elite play to win. That works only so much. We got to two SBs, won one. But our model of team is not long lived as we are seeing this year.

Elite QB + strong defense is what wins consistently. We saw it with New England, Indy, Denver both with Elway and Manning, Tampa Bay has it right now. The Steelers and Big Ben go in there too.

Don't get me wrong, I love Reek and Kelce but Kelce is more important. Mahomes is an elite QB and can elevate the play of those around him.

This team has to move towards a strong defense. Run the ball more and let Pat drive the offense with Kelce.

Quit trying to win via shootout. That works some but more times that not it seems like it comes up short.

Elite QB + Good\Great defense is the formula.

Right now we are going the way of Seattle. Seattle has Wilson, Metcalf and Lockett but their D seems to have withered.
2 of the last 3 teams in the SB had elite defenses. The elite D with the elite QB won one. The elite QB and elite offense won the other showing the elite QB is a must.

But do you have to be a high flying, high scoring offense just because you have an elite QB?

Or can you still roll out an elite defense that consistently puts your elite QB in good positions and let him take advantage?
[Reply]
DRM08 08:55 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
New England proved you can win without paying high salaries to defensive players.

So we resigned Jones and it's hurting us badly.
Jones, Clark, Mathieu, Hitchens, Reed. $70M of cap hits tied up in these guys.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:56 PM 10-24-2021
we have spent a meteoric shit ton on thee defense.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:56 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
If I'm reading overthecap.com right, Jones is very cutable this off season. If you designate him a June 1st cut alongside Clark, you save 2mil. You can save up to 15mil if you trade him.
You think the way Jones has played so far that he’s trade able? And if he does recover to his old form, he’s going to be a value added player when the cap goes up.

And why would you do anything with him until you move him back to DT and see what production you get?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:26 PM 10-24-2021
I’m just gonna be honest for a second. I don’t think they planned on having a dog shit defense. The ways spags came out calling Defense the first 5 games, you get the feeling they thought they had talent.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:42 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
4 of those guys can be gone next year. Clark, Hitchens, Reed are surefire cuts.

The thing about dynasties is that the guard changes. This year is the transition year. Next year we will have a better idea what we have. This is largely the same D as last year so I really have a hard time believing we are this lacking in talent. It seems to me a huge downfall in leadership and spags' scheme no longer working.
[Reply]
Iconic 09:45 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
If we had an inkling of a pass rush we would be fine on defense. And we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion
Seriously lets take a moment to acknowledge how trash our pass rush is. Our defensive woes are like 75% due to our piss poor pressure on the QB.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:48 PM 10-24-2021
Also kelce is still a beast. He is getting schemed just as much as tyreek. Teams are following the Patriots model of popping him and grabbing the shit out of him. It's amazing he's still productive. Yet Reid keeps sending everyone deep leaving kelce to be the only guy holding down the short and intermediate field.

Reid has gotta get kelce some help. Which is why I dont understand his outright refusal to give Gordon and gray some looks, and to use jerrick mckinnon in the screen game.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:02 PM 10-24-2021
I went out and did other shit in the 2nd quarter it was nice out. Sounds like alot of you should do the same jesus for all the shit I get about being a Nebraska fan and how entitled that fan base is guess what? Alot of you on this board sound like alot of Husker fans post 97'
[Reply]
RunKC 10:12 PM 10-24-2021
I think they need to clean house with these major contracts starting with Hitchens and Clark. They also need to get Jones to free up money from his deal next offseason through a restructure like Patrick has done.

I think it’s time to stop paying these big contracts. No to Matheiu. No to Orlando Brown Jr.

Start loading up on solid players at fair prices. Emmanuel Ogbah is a perfect example. The guy is good for 5-8 sacks a season and is less than half the price of a top paid DE. Browns got Jadeveon Clowney for $8 million and he’s on pace for 7 sacks.

We need to load up on those players and draft picks like Nick Bolton, Juan Thornhill, etc. That will help the talent level on defense big time
[Reply]
DTVietnam 12:41 AM 10-25-2021
We have the players on Defense. . we just have no heart. .

and poor coaching

and Mahomes turning the ball over when the defense finally makes a stop is deflating
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:19 AM 10-25-2021
This.

The idea that Veach and Reid have neglected the defense is a farce.

Clark, Jones, Reid, Hitchens, and Mathieu are all very high priced players.

Second round picks from 2018-2021 all on defense: Speaks, Thornhill, Bolton.

It's not neglect. It's massive underachievement. Either there's a big scouting problem or a big coaching problem or both, but the effort from the front office to build the defense has been there.

Needless to say, it's failed. But the effort has been there.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 05:45 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
he looks hurt on the sideline more and more. :-)
That's because the officials allow him to get goddamn mauled every single play.

If the Chiefs were actually treated like an elite franchise by the league office, we wouldn't be discussing a lot of these problems. Our offense hasn't really been "figured out" as much as people say, it's just that opposing defenses know they can beat the living hell out of our receivers and smash Mahomes after every throw and nothing will be done about it. It's getting pretty sickening to watch.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:00 AM 10-25-2021
We have so many problems it's sad and a total fail from the top down.

Team is not focused including the coaches.
Team has high priced players that are not playing hard anymore. The fight looks gone.
Coaches are not making adjustments fast enough.
Poor use of draft picks and money.
Coaches message is stale and old.

Mahomes looks beat up and tired of the offense constantly being on his back. Andy's offense is going to get Mahomes injured and every elite QB needs a running game and a defense. Andy is not the man to provide that. He has health issues and family issues that have now affected the team badly and his focus is not there.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:18 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Agreed!!! Agreed 1000000%. I never wanted to re-sign him. Now we are stuck,
I don't think we're stuck. He has a giant roster bonus that vests the 3rd day of the 2022 league year. If the Chiefs trade him before then, they would only lose like 200k against the cap.
[Reply]
GT_34 06:19 AM 10-25-2021
Brady was the highest paid player in the league after his rookie deal and again around 2010.

Meanwhile, Mahomes was on a rookie deal in 2018 when the Chiefs had a HORRIBLE defense. But it's his fault for poor cap management, right? His cap hit this year is less than $8 million. Somehow the Chiefs still have a horrible defense while spending huge money on guys like Frank Clark, Chris Jones, Tyrann Mathieu, Anthony Hitchens, and Jarran Reed. $70M of cap hits for those guys and the defense is TRASH. But Mahomes' contract is the problem?
People forget that Mahomes new contract doesn't kick in until next year. His 2021 cap hit it is 7.4 M

and that's concerning, it means Veach hasn't been able to build a competitive roster with the benefit of Mahomes on a cheap contract. How is he going to do with 40 M less to spend in the future?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up