ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>KC and Reid are not following the "Dynasty" model...
petegz28 07:02 PM 10-24-2021
We are purely an offensive team. And offensive passing team at that. We depend on our QB to consistently make elite play after elite play to win. That works only so much. We got to two SBs, won one. But our model of team is not long lived as we are seeing this year.

Elite QB + strong defense is what wins consistently. We saw it with New England, Indy, Denver both with Elway and Manning, Tampa Bay has it right now. The Steelers and Big Ben go in there too.

Don't get me wrong, I love Reek and Kelce but Kelce is more important. Mahomes is an elite QB and can elevate the play of those around him.

This team has to move towards a strong defense. Run the ball more and let Pat drive the offense with Kelce.

Quit trying to win via shootout. That works some but more times that not it seems like it comes up short.

Elite QB + Good\Great defense is the formula.

Right now we are going the way of Seattle. Seattle has Wilson, Metcalf and Lockett but their D seems to have withered.
2 of the last 3 teams in the SB had elite defenses. The elite D with the elite QB won one. The elite QB and elite offense won the other showing the elite QB is a must.

But do you have to be a high flying, high scoring offense just because you have an elite QB?

Or can you still roll out an elite defense that consistently puts your elite QB in good positions and let him take advantage?
[Reply]
DRM08 07:55 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
nobody wants to admit this but the $500mil contract for Mahomes is going to sting….Brady is the GOAT and he never took the huge payday because he knew the importance of spreading the money around….and Mahomes big $$$ years haven’t even kicked in yet.
Brady was the highest paid player in the league after his rookie deal and again around 2010.

Meanwhile, Mahomes was on a rookie deal in 2018 when the Chiefs had a HORRIBLE defense. But it's his fault for poor cap management, right? His cap hit this year is less than $8 million. Somehow the Chiefs still have a horrible defense while spending huge money on guys like Frank Clark, Chris Jones, Tyrann Mathieu, Anthony Hitchens, and Jarran Reed. $70M of cap hits for those guys and the defense is TRASH. But Mahomes' contract is the problem?
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:00 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Kelce is a better player but he doesn't affect defensive schemes the way Hill does. Teams literally can't play man because of Hill.
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Case in point, the multiple rings of Tony Gonzalez.
To add to your point, teams can also mug Kelce and mostly get away with it same as they did with Gonzo.
[Reply]
Ron Swanson 08:05 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
To add to your point, teams can also mug Kelce and mostly get away with it same as they did with Gonzo.
That shit is getting old, he gets mugged all game every week.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:05 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by JudasRising20:
Dynasties are rare in the last 30 years.

Patriots had several. Cowboys had one. That's it.

Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Young, Favre, Wilson, Warner. None of these QBs were dynasty winners. We act like Mahomes being in a dynasty was supposed to happen. It isn't. They had a chance to repeat last year and blew it. We know now they were never winning three in a row in 2021.

Too much parity in the league. We can be a perennial playoff team though.
We don’t really know that. The Patriots won six in what, 20 something years? And lost two or three along the way.

To throw the towel in on dynasty hopes this early is quite premature. There are going to be not so great years in between the glory years.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:06 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson:
That shit is getting old, he gets mugged all game every week.
Old but, sadly, and frustratingly, familiar.
[Reply]
dannybcaitlyn 08:08 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
nobody wants to admit this but the $500mil contract for Mahomes is going to sting….Brady is the GOAT and he never took the huge payday because he knew the importance of spreading the money around….and Mahomes big $$$ years haven’t even kicked in yet.
He never took the money because he had a super model wife that brought in more money then him. If it weren’t for that he would have been like any other quarterback.
[Reply]
wachashi 08:11 PM 10-24-2021
After last week, I thought we had a middle of the pack, mediocre defense. I thought we just had to work out a few kinks early in the season and things were starting to move in the right direction and we’d see improvement going forward. But now it’s looking like we may have the worst defense in the league. That might just be who this team is.
[Reply]
Ron Swanson 08:12 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by wachashi:
After last week, I thought we had a middle of the pack, mediocre defense. I thought we just had to work out a few kinks early in the season and things were starting to move in the right direction and we’d see improvement going forward. But now it’s looking like we may have the worst defense in the league. That might just be who this team is.
I wish the defense was the only problem.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:16 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The day this team paid Chris Jones instead of trading him, they created a huge issue..

If they could cut Jones & Clark’s salaries would be nice. Clark is gone after this season along with Matthieu & Hitchens. Jones needs to be cut but you can’t with his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DRM08 08:17 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn:
He never took the money because he had a super model wife that brought in more money then him. If it weren’t for that he would have been like any other quarterback.
But Brady did take the money. Right after his rookie deal, he was highest paid player in the league. It happened again around 2010 as well. Later on he started doing the discounts after marrying the supermodel. But first decade of his career did contain multiple points where he was the highest paid guy in the league. There has been a myth built up about him regarding the discount stuff.

Mahomes was as nice to the Chiefs as he could possibly be on that contract. Only a $10M signing bonus and very low cash flow in the early years of the deal. Compare this with Dak Prescott getting a $31M franchise tag last year and a $75M cash flow this year. But somehow Prescott has two stud RB's, several weapons in the receiving game, a good OL, and a good defense this year as well.

Chiefs had a garbage defense in 2018 even when Mahomes was as cheap as it gets on a rookie deal. His cap hit this year is less than $8M and they still have a garbage defense full of overpaid players. They have no good options at the RB position and pretty questionable offensive tackles. The front office has not done a good job, even with Mahomes playing at a discount rate.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 08:20 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
We don’t really know that. The Patriots won six in what, 20 something years? And lost two or three along the way.

To throw the towel in on dynasty hopes this early is quite premature. There are going to be not so great years in between the glory years.
Yes, it may happen. Just unlikely. As I stated, people act like it was meant to happen. Maybe in the NBA. Also, dynasty traditionally means 3 titles in four or five years. Typically that defines a dynasty in sports. If Mahomes wins say three Super Bowls over his career, that's not necessarily a "dynasty" by definition. You could argue Montana was never part of a dynasty, despite winning four Super Bowls in the 80's. I don't make the definitions. Just how that word is normally defined in sports.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:32 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by JudasRising20:
Yes, it may happen. Just unlikely. As I stated, people act like it was meant to happen. Maybe in the NBA. Also, dynasty traditionally means 3 titles in four or five years. Typically that defines a dynasty in sports. If Mahomes wins say three Super Bowls over his career, that's not necessarily a "dynasty" by definition. You could argue Montana was never part of a dynasty, despite winning four Super Bowls in the 80's. I don't make the definitions. Just how that word is normally defined in sports.
I think the nature of the game has changed considerably due to free agency and that is why we see the Patriots long term run referred to as a dynasty.

The definition changed because the game itself changed. And the way the game changed - beyond just free agency but, also offensively - you can’t blame people for thinking a dynasty is in the works with the QB we have.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:45 PM 10-24-2021
New England proved you can win without paying high salaries to defensive players.

So we resigned Jones and it's hurting us badly.
[Reply]
-King- 08:50 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
If they could cut Jones & Clark’s salaries would be nice. Clark is gone after this season along with Matthieu & Hitchens. Jones needs to be cut but you can’t with his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I'm reading overthecap.com right, Jones is very cutable this off season. If you designate him a June 1st cut alongside Clark, you save 2mil. You can save up to 15mil if you trade him.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 08:54 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
New England proved you can win without paying high salaries to defensive players.

So we resigned Jones and it's hurting us badly.
Why didn't the Chiefs learn from Houston and Berry? The Patriots "hit-it-and-quit-it" strategy worked well for them. Don't give any of these defenders a huge contract.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up