ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>KC and Reid are not following the "Dynasty" model...
petegz28 07:02 PM 10-24-2021
We are purely an offensive team. And offensive passing team at that. We depend on our QB to consistently make elite play after elite play to win. That works only so much. We got to two SBs, won one. But our model of team is not long lived as we are seeing this year.

Elite QB + strong defense is what wins consistently. We saw it with New England, Indy, Denver both with Elway and Manning, Tampa Bay has it right now. The Steelers and Big Ben go in there too.

Don't get me wrong, I love Reek and Kelce but Kelce is more important. Mahomes is an elite QB and can elevate the play of those around him.

This team has to move towards a strong defense. Run the ball more and let Pat drive the offense with Kelce.

Quit trying to win via shootout. That works some but more times that not it seems like it comes up short.

Elite QB + Good\Great defense is the formula.

Right now we are going the way of Seattle. Seattle has Wilson, Metcalf and Lockett but their D seems to have withered.
2 of the last 3 teams in the SB had elite defenses. The elite D with the elite QB won one. The elite QB and elite offense won the other showing the elite QB is a must.

But do you have to be a high flying, high scoring offense just because you have an elite QB?

Or can you still roll out an elite defense that consistently puts your elite QB in good positions and let him take advantage?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:20 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I don't think we're stuck. He has a giant roster bonus that vests the 3rd day of the 2022 league year. If the Chiefs trade him before then, they would only lose like 200k against the cap.
It would take somebody who thinks they're Chris Jones away from a SB. I don't know who that would be, but it's possible.

He's a talent, but he's also a frustrating player to watch in terms of his effort.

I don't think he's untouchable at all. He could be Aaron Donald if he wanted to be, but instead, he's Albert Haynesworth half of the time.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:27 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by GT_34:
People forget that Mahomes new contract doesn't kick in until next year. His 2021 cap hit it is 7.4 M

and that's concerning, it means Veach hasn't been able to build a competitive roster with the benefit of Mahomes on a cheap contract. How is he going to do with 40 M less to spend in the future?
Veach has structured the majority of our contracts to expire when mahomes contract comes due. We can save about that much by cutting Clark, Reed, Hitchens and I don't think anyone feels we'd be much worse. Then we need a DC who can way better utilize what talent we have. Maybe spags will figure that out...

We are in fine shape. We haven't even started the process of backloadkng the hell out of contracts which is like paying for players on a credit card. That and I believe mahomes with all the money he's making outside the team will flex his contract year to year to make sure he has a good team around him.

I know it sucks but we just have to be patient. We built this team around short term contracts to win a super bowl. Next year is when we build for the future.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 06:34 AM 10-25-2021
The trenches aren’t getting it done on either side. It always begins there and spirals out.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:42 AM 10-25-2021
I think we have a piece at each layer to build on defensively..

DL: Naddi
LB: Bolton\Gay
CB: Sneed\Fenton
S: Thornhill

We need to cut\trade Jones, draft an edge rusher and fill in the gaps.

Of course that all has to be done under a new DC who actually wants to play aggressive defense and not 8 yards per play defense.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:46 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I think we have a piece at each layer to build on defensively..

DL: Naddi
LB: Bolton\Gay
CB: Sneed\Fenton
S: Thornhill

We need to cut\trade Jones, draft an edge rusher and fill in the gaps.

Of course that all has to be done under a new DC who actually wants to play aggressive defense and not 8 yards per play defense.
You can't cut Jones, it's prohibitively expensive. I don't know if he's a tradeable asset with his contract. Nnadi is a decent run stuffing DT but not anything to 'build on' really.

I like Bolton and Gay as possible building blocks.

I like our CB room honestly, but I don't know that I'd pay Ward north of $10m per, which is what he'll get.

I like Thornhill.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 06:59 AM 10-25-2021
It's ok if us fans are freaking out and going off the deep end.

But Mahomes is not. And that's what counts as far as I'm concerned. It almost seems to me like Mahomes wants to make a big team come back. So we get back to 500 against the Giants, and then make a big statement by shoving the football up Arron Rogers gay ass, Then start taking care of the teams in the AFC West. There is no way in hell that the Chiefs are as bad as they have been playing.
[Reply]
Mulliganman 07:02 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
This.

The idea that Veach and Reid have neglected the defense is a farce.

Clark, Jones, Reid, Hitchens, and Mathieu are all very high priced players.

Second round picks from 2018-2021 all on defense: Speaks, Thornhill, Bolton.

It's not neglect. It's massive underachievement. Either there's a big scouting problem or a big coaching problem or both, but the effort from the front office to build the defense has been there.

Needless to say, it's failed. But the effort has been there.
Maybe its time to revamp the scouting department. It couldn't hurt. Maybe if we did we could get away from these WTH picks that nobody has heard of way too early...
[Reply]
Mulliganman 07:09 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You can't cut Jones, it's prohibitively expensive. I don't know if he's a tradeable asset with his contract. Nnadi is a decent run stuffing DT but not anything to 'build on' really.

I like Bolton and Gay as possible building blocks.

I like our CB room honestly, but I don't know that I'd pay Ward north of $10m per, which is what he'll get.

I like Thornhill.
We also the option potentially of tag and trade on Brown or HB. But, god knows HB would be a total douche in that scenario. Brown could be tradeable to a run heavy team... It would really help if another NFL team would hire EB so we could get some comp picks from it.... The team has got to move Jones back inside. At his current production we wouldn't get anywhere near value for him

But, I think everybody (players included) needs to stop using the word "dynasty" until maybe we actually win a 2nd SB...
[Reply]
GoForIt 07:10 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
But Brady did take the money. Right after his rookie deal, he was highest paid player in the league. It happened again around 2010 as well. Later on he started doing the discounts after marrying the supermodel. But first decade of his career did contain multiple points where he was the highest paid guy in the league. There has been a myth built up about him regarding the discount stuff.

Mahomes was as nice to the Chiefs as he could possibly be on that contract. Only a $10M signing bonus and very low cash flow in the early years of the deal. Compare this with Dak Prescott getting a $31M franchise tag last year and a $75M cash flow this year. But somehow Prescott has two stud RB's, several weapons in the receiving game, a good OL, and a good defense this year as well.

Chiefs had a garbage defense in 2018 even when Mahomes was as cheap as it gets on a rookie deal. His cap hit this year is less than $8M and they still have a garbage defense full of overpaid players. They have no good options at the RB position and pretty questionable offensive tackles. The front office has not done a good job, even with Mahomes playing at a discount rate.
The issue is not Mahomes contract solely, it is that the bulk of the cap is tied up in just a few players. On top, the drafts on the defensive side have been awful. To cover all that, you need a QB like Brady to play and win with scabs to help out the cap. But without better drafting, it will be tough to rebound quickly.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 07:11 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by 65TPT:
It's ok if us fans are freaking out and going off the deep end.

But Mahomes is not. And that's what counts as far as I'm concerned. It almost seems to me like Mahomes wants to make a big team come back. So we get back to 500 against the Giants, and then make a big statement by shoving the football up Arron Rogers gay ass, Then start taking care of the teams in the AFC West. There is no way in hell that the Chiefs are as bad as they have been playing.
I love your optimism, but both our tackles are slow and lazy! They let the defense curl around to Pat's blindside and Pat starts getting happy feet! If you want Pat to be a pocket QB you have to have tackles that can stay with the rusher completely around Pat. Not just shove them DIRECTLY BEHIND PAT!!!!
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:11 AM 10-25-2021
It would be nice if new ideas were brought in as coaches or scouts or anyone but it won't happen and we know it. This organizations was just in the SB earlier this year and won the SB in 19. Clark is not rolling is not going to make them change anyone. Veach and Andy will not either. It will take a second year of suckage like this for the thought to even be had.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:47 AM 10-25-2021
We're following the Knots Landing model
[Reply]
arrwheader 11:45 AM 10-25-2021
The more I think about this offseason the more I start to think, maybe they knew it was a long shot to go far this year and so they just did a few things that would potentially work but didn't really expect it to just to carry us over till they can rid themselves of some of these contracts.

Moving jones outside was dumb, makes sense here as they just needed to fill a need with no cap space. Sign LT brown, no long term deal off the bat. Might just be the stop gap to carry them here. Didn't do much to fill the wr2 position, although they tried with ju-ju but who knows maybe they didn't push that hard and again we don't have the cap space.

Maybe they just said well fuck we will do our best here but were completely fucked with these contracts so here is the plan lets hope it works out. Obviously it isn't.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 03:44 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The day this team paid Chris Jones instead of trading him, they created a huge issue..
Outwardly, I celebrated when they signed him. Inwardly, I thought it could be a big mistake.

I'm almost to the point that I wouldn't sign anyone to a big deal outside of a great QB and possibly a weapon like Kelce and/or a LT.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up