ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>So...I finally watched Waterworld this weekend
keg in kc 03:51 PM 03-07-2012
As far as I recall I'd never seen it. And to be honest I'm not sure why I watched it now. Morbid curiosity maybe. It just happened to be on HBO late and night, and it's been panned so badly I thought it was going to be the worst movie of all time. And I gotta admit that after watching it I'm kind of wondering what all the bad buzz was about. I've seen way, way, way worse movies. I can't remember much from 1995, but I'm wondering if it was one of those dogpile instances, where dumping on it was just the hip thing to do. I'm not saying it's a great flick or anything like that, but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching the whole time. I was expecting much worse than I got. Something historically bad rather than marginal.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:55 PM 03-07-2012
My main problem with it was that it was nothing more than a water-logged rip-off of Road Warrior (which is basically the same reason I hate Avatar). Saw it once. There won't ever be a twice. That goes for Avatar as well.

The Costner movie that I think got unfairly blasted was The Postman. That one I actually liked.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:58 PM 03-07-2012
its not a really great movie nor is it truly bad. Its just sort of blah.

That was made right before the digital effects boom, so most of the stunts were real and done on set, so thats cool.

Critics like to dump on movies with huge budgets that are not mind-blowing. Your right, its not awful.

One movie i always liked that got unfairly dumped on was Ishtar. Funny movie.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 03:58 PM 03-07-2012
postman was cool, the problem with costner at least that period of costner movies, is theyre all basically the same and waaaaay too long
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:59 PM 03-07-2012
WTF does this have to do with Peyton Manning?

Mods, DELETE pls.

k thx.
[Reply]
bevischief 04:01 PM 03-07-2012
I hate both Water World and the Postman I haven't yet been able to make it all the way thru it yet.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:01 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
WTF does this have to do with Peyton Manning?

Mods, DELETE pls.

k thx.
Au contraire, Costner reminds me of Manning, and Waterworld is a representation of Chiefs fans after he signs elsewhere, and we drown in our tears.

Proof that Costner was in fact ahead of his time.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:02 PM 03-07-2012
I've seen the Postman, but it's been years. Nothing from the movie stuck with me except he's a mailman on a horse after the world ends. Or something.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:03 PM 03-07-2012
When it was made it has the biggest budget of any movie in history.

It bombed at the box office.

Waterworld is a commercial failure of the biggest nature. It's a bad movie, but it's far from the worst ever. I think a studio went under because of it.

People here seem to be focusing on the critical aspect of how it was received. That's not why the movie is famous for being bad at all.

Also, don't say it isn't bad. I've had this argument... the movie has more obvious plot holes than any film I've ever seen.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:04 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by frazod:
My main problem with it was that it was nothing more than a water-logged rip-off of Road Warrior (which is basically the same reason I hate Avatar). Saw it once. There won't ever be a twice. That goes for Avatar as well.

The Costner movie that I think got unfairly blasted was The Postman. That one I actually liked.
The Postman was just a ridiculous premise.

Nobody did a bad job in it, I guess, but the whole thing just seemed like a really bad comic book.
[Reply]
Frosty 04:11 PM 03-07-2012
The Postman was filmed not far from where we live. We went to the town while they were filming. It was pretty neat seeing the log wall around the town as you cross the bridge going into town. We ate bagels at a coffee shop and watched them filming a scene on the main street (no major stars were there at the time, IIRC). The whole experience was much better than the movie.

The only thing I remember about Waterworld was that chick's ass on the boat.

Oh, and exploding jet skis.
[Reply]
Fish 04:13 PM 03-07-2012
I thought the criticism of Waterworld was mainly because of the crazy huge budget.

I thought it was mildly entertaining.
[Reply]
gblowfish 04:14 PM 03-07-2012
The chick f*cks a fish....
[Reply]
Bewbies 04:16 PM 03-07-2012
I liked Waterworld, haven't seen the Postman but would like to.
[Reply]
Ultra Peanut 04:16 PM 03-07-2012
For some reason I can't not watch The Postman for a few minutes if I stumble upon it on cable. It's weirdly appealing if unbelievably cheesy, though I've never seen more than ten minutes of it at a time.

PLUS O-DOG IS IN IT. AND K-UGER.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up