ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 34
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Bryan Cook Thread*****
DJ's left nut 10:36 AM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I remember thinking Fenton was that one player in the class who would be the weak link.

He turned out just fine
Fenton was what, a 6th rounder?

Again - I get that he replaces Dan Sorensen. But I also know that for 4 years Dan Sorensen did that particular job quite well and he was a UDFA.

When you have one of the worst DLs in the conference, using a 2nd round pick to firm up your heavy nickel set and replace an aging UDFA (who you already replaced with a quality veteran safety) doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:40 AM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Fenton was what, a 6th rounder?

Again - I get that he replaces Dan Sorensen. But I also know that for 4 years Dan Sorensen did that particular job quite well and he was a UDFA.

When you have one of the worst DLs in the conference, using a 2nd round pick to firm up your heavy nickel set and replace an aging UDFA (who you already replaced with a quality veteran safety) doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
It's tough. You look at the QB's and receivers in the West and if you can't cover, you are going to get killed before a Dline would have time to do anything.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:40 AM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
It's tough. You look at the QB's and receivers in the west if you can't cover, you are going to get killed before a Dline would have time to do anything.
So take a cover safety. Cooks not that.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:49 AM 04-30-2022
Don't draft based on need says all of CP

Five minutes later I don't understand how this guy fits certain schemes!!!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:55 AM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Don't draft based on need says all of CP

Five minutes later I don't understand how this guy fits certain schemes!!!
And if I felt this guy was a pure BPA pick I’d be fine with that. I don’t think that’s the case.

They DID pick based on need and, IMO, prioritized a position of marginal importance.

Moreover, nobody says you don’t consider need, they say don’t REACH based on need and that’s exactly what the Chiefs did here.

But enjoy your straw man.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:56 PM 11-06-2023
And if I felt this guy was a pure BPA pick I’d be fine with that. I don’t think that’s the case.

They DID pick based on need and, IMO, prioritized a position of marginal importance.

Moreover, nobody says you don’t consider need, they say don’t REACH based on need and that’s exactly what the Chiefs did here.

But enjoy your straw man.
Why would Cook be considered a "reach"?
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:36 PM 11-06-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Do you even Chiefs Planet, brah? All of the draftabaters are geniouses. [CPS]
[Reply]
JPH83 12:15 AM 11-07-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Impossible to know how teams saw it, but a lot of people had him below other safeties picked after him and a lot of other guys in other positions.

I was like DJ, I didn't think he was BPA or a huge positional need. I think he's been OK, definitely flashed a bit, but I still think we've a ways to go to start crowning him a major success.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:03 AM 11-07-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Impossible to know how teams saw it, but a lot of people had him below other safeties picked after him and a lot of other guys in other positions.

I was like DJ, I didn't think he was BPA or a huge positional need. I think he's been OK, definitely flashed a bit, but I still think we've a ways to go to start crowning him a major success.
I mean, I gave my EXACT rationale in this thread. Compared him to Taylor Rapp (who's had a really nice career) and even noted that I could be wrong.

And as the season progressed I posted that I saw areas of improvement that suggested what I saw as poor ball-tracking skills (that I never think improve much at the next level) were probably just inexperience.

I also said that I found it odd that he was our Thornhill replacement unless we were going to get away from some of our single-high looks. And by and large we have done so. But he and Reid as fairly similar players have been able to do some really interesting disguises and matchup flips. Put simply, Spags adjusted his coverage schemes to fit his personnel and its worked out nicely. Also, Edwards being a ball-hawk has allowed us to maintain some of those looks that will put more pressure on a coverage safety even with Cook being a bit more downhill in his approach.

But Pitt's gonna troll because that's all he really has to offer. He damn sure wasn't in here having any conversations in real time. Or, y'know, at any point PRIOR to Cook having the biggest play of his career.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:58 AM 04-30-2022
I think if the Raiders take this guy in the second you make fun of them for drafting a 4th round version of Jonathan Abram in the 2nd round.

The mood is up so everyone loves this pick, but this one’s pretty damn iffy. Underwater on pure value based on ANY objective review, not a position of true immediate need and not much ceiling.

This is a questionable pick that nobody wants to actually question because they like the other picks.
I feel the exact same way DJ. I didn’t like this pick. He’s a very reliable tackler but his coverage skills seem below what I’d like.

I wonder if he can cover TE’s well bc if he can that would help us a lot.

I really wanted a pass rusher there but it seems like the board went dry with Williams and Jackson gone. Travis Jones and Perrion Winfrey falling says a lot.

I really do think Sam Williams or Drake Jackson are Chiefs if they fall to us. They didn’t trade up for them bc they needed more picks today thus the trade down earlier.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:07 AM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I feel the exact same way DJ. I didn’t like this pick. He’s a very reliable tackler but his coverage skills seem below what I’d like.

I wonder if he can cover TE’s well bc if he can that would help us a lot.

I really wanted a pass rusher there but it seems like the board went dry with Williams and Jackson gone. Travis Jones and Perrion Winfrey falling says a lot.

I really do think Sam Williams or Drake Jackson are Chiefs if they fall to us. They didn’t trade up for them bc they needed more picks today thus the trade down earlier.
Bonitto, while more limited than Jackson or Williams, would’ve been a very nice option as a potential situational pass rusher.

We just have such a dire situation there that I simply can’t see why we attacked nickel safety instead of addressing it.
[Reply]
Best22 11:14 AM 04-30-2022
Bonitto, while more limited than Jackson or Williams, would’ve been a very nice option as a potential situational pass rusher.

We just have such a dire situation there that I simply can’t see why we attacked nickel safety instead of addressing it.
Veach probably saw Cook playing more snaps in this defense than Bonitto, who would be a 240lbs DE. Obviously you can move Nik around and I love his juice and athleticism, but I understand why KC would favor Cook over Nik at the end of the 2nd round
[Reply]
RunKC 12:34 PM 04-30-2022

Like his pass rush skills but he’s a small guy. He’s a big liability against the run. He bulked up to about 250 before the combine but was lighter during the season.

His frame is small and his arms are short.

He’s a one trick pony who relies solely on speed.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:20 AM 05-01-2022
[QUOTE=RunKC;16275489]Like his pass rush skills but he’s a small guy. He’s a big liability against the run. He bulked up to about 250 before the combine but was lighter during the season.

His frame is small and his arms are short.

He’s a one trick pony who relies solely on speed.[/QUOTE

I disagree. He's not great against rhe run but no liability imo. I also think he's more refined than a pure speed rusher, but in any case speed on the edge IS what we still need.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:16 AM 05-01-2022

As the draft unfolded I did think "I bet DJ is hating this"! Or at least, has criticisms. On Cook I entirely agree I think you and others convinced me we needed that double dip at DL. I mean Travis Jones was available so that stings. But more importantly Cook doesn't even look like the best safety at that point. I can live with it and I reckon he could be decent, but it's my least favourite pick.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 34
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up