ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 44
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2021 STL Cardinals Thread***
BigRedChief 10:29 AM 02-17-2021
2021 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year.....

2020 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=329273
2019 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320239
2018 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812
2012 Thread
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619
etc.
All the way back to 2006 WS
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:24 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by VAChief:
Not near as bad as extending Matt Carpenter and a host of other blunders with personnel. Mo can’t evaluate young talent, and then overvalues those who are at best past their peak or as in the case of Andrew Miller…flat out toasted.
Saying Schildt should be fired doesn't mean Mo shouldn't have been fired as well, that's 2 different arguments.

I wanted them both gone. And yea Schildt was as bad at his job as Mo is.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 02:29 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Schildt is a terrible manager who doesn't know when to say no.

Reyes coming in there with the game on the line and bullpen literally full of guys who didn't have a 7 ERA since the Allstar break are all you need to know he is bad at his job.
Shildt literally was given dog shit to work in the BP. Reyes hadn’t allowed an inherited runner to score since like April or May. I wouldn’t have wanted Flaherty or Hudson pitching in that situation.

Shildt is a good manager. The team exceeded its Pythagorean by a decent amount.

Mozeliak is now a slightly above average baseball executive who should be criticized for needing the team to go on a 17 game run in September to make the WC in the first place due to his construction of the bullpen and inaction for the rotation.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 02:33 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Shildt literally was given dog shit to work in the BP. Reyes hadn’t allowed an inherited runner to score since like April or May. I wouldn’t have wanted Flaherty or Hudson pitching in that situation.

Mozeliak is now a slightly above average baseball executive who should be criticized for needing the team to go on a 17 game run in September to make the WC in the first place due to his construction of the bullpen and inaction for the rotation.
Didn’t Reyes allow a grand slam to Vogelbach on his first pitch in the beginning of September?
[Reply]
Rams Fan 02:34 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
One thing I'll say about the St. Louis Cardinals.

They don't tolerate losing for very long.
Matheny would’ve been fired after 2016 and LaRussa after 2007 if that was the case.

They don’t tolerate losing because they care about being just above average with a glimmer of hope to contend so there will be butts in the seats.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 02:36 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Didn’t Reyes allow a grand slam to Vogelbach on his first pitch in the beginning of September?
You’re correct.

Don’t know where I read the thing about inherited runners.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 02:36 PM 10-14-2021
It was his second pitch. I don’t like the firing of Schildt overall but it is tough to defend Reyes going in that game.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:37 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Schildt is a terrible manager who doesn't know when to say no.

Reyes coming in there with the game on the line and bullpen literally full of guys who didn't have a 7 ERA since the Allstar break are all you need to know he is bad at his job.
You can't run Flaherty or Hudson out there - they're starting pitchers and the Gallegos fingernail thing popped up on him. You can't ask guys used to starting to get hot that quickly - they're just not used to it.

Cabrera has been just as erratic as Reyes of late.

I'd have gone with Whitley, personally. And tried to get through the 9th while giving Flaherty time to get warm. But in the end, it probably didn't matter. They weren't hitting.

I don't see how anyone can say Shildt is a terrible manager after seeing how the defense turned around literally overnight when he took over and initiated new shifting, etc... The guy took the team to 90+ wins with a bunch of shit that nobody else wanted throwing the ball for him.

Mike Shildt is no worse than a very good manager. Cash is better, Kapler is probably better (though Kapler had his issues in Philly). Cora also seems to be quite good.

Who the fuck else? Snitker? The guy Shildt ran circles around in 2019? Baker? A guy who's done less with more than any manager in MLB history? Sweet Jesus please don't say Maddon - that guys an overrated kook. Boone? Who can't manage a $225 million payroll?

There are a few guys who I'd put in the same tier with him. Probably Bob Melvin and maybe Scott Servais. Mike Shildt will have won a MOTY award and rec'd votes in all 4 seasons he led this team. Calling him a terribly manager just screams of ignorance of what goes on outside of this organization.

There aren't a half dozen guys in baseball I'd take over him.

This decision was stupid and petty.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 02:43 PM 10-14-2021
It was his second pitch. I don’t like the firing of Schildt overall but it is tough to defend Reyes going in that game.
I don’t think there would have been any alternative that would’ve been better than leaving McFarland in and pray they go to extras to let Hudson or Flaherty eat multiple innings.

I have to wonder if this was also done with DeWitt putting Mozeliak on the hot seat.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:46 PM 10-14-2021

No - he really isn't.

Here's his track record of late:

All contracts in excess of $5 million over the last 10 years:

Ty Wigginton 2 years, 5 million
Randy Choate 3 years, 7.5 million
Jake Westbrook, 1 year, 9.75 million
Yadier Molina, 5 years 75 million

Jason Motte, 2 years, 12 million
Allen Craig, 5 years 31 million
Adam Wainwright, 5 years 97.5 million
Jhonny Peralta, 4 years, 53 million

Matt Carpenter, 6 years, 52 million
Jordan Walden, 2 years, 6.6 million

Lance Lynn, 3 years, 23.5 million
Jon Jay, 2 years, 11 million
Mike Leake, 5 years, 80 million

Brandon Moss, 1 year, 8.25 million
Trevor Rosenthal, 1 year, 5.6 million
Brett Cecil, 4 years, 30.5 million
Dexter Fowler, 5 years, 82.5 million

Carlos Martinez, 5 years, 51 million
Yadier Molina, 3 years, 60 million
Miles Mikolas, 2 years, 15.5 million
Luke Gregerson, 2 years, 11 million

Macell Ozuna, 1 year, 9 million
Paul DeJong, 6 years, 26 million
Greg Holland, 1 year, 14 million
Andrew Miller, 2 years, 25 million, 12 million option

Marcell Ozuna, 1 year, 12.25 million
Miles Mokolas, 4 years, 68 million
Paul Goldschmidt, 5 years, 130 million
Matt Carpenter, 2 years, 39 million with vesting option
Adam Wainwright, 1 year, 5 million
Kwang-hyun Kim, 2 years, 8 million
Adolis Garcia traded to Tex for cash considerations (Just throwing that in there)

St Louis declined 12.5 million option for Kolten Wong
Andrew Miller vested 12 million dollar option

How many of those worked out? Carpenter's first deal (which was immediately immolated by the worst extension ever). A couple of the later Wainwright deals. Maybe Jon Jay for a year before we had to dump him?

Look at that array of shit. He's, what, $400 million underwater there in terms of the value the team got out of those guys over what they'd have been able to get internally? Or by not trading away guys that were cheaper/more effective?

He's a BAD general manager. He's done a bad job building this team. The only reason anyone has EVER thought he was worth a shit was the work that Luhnow did in re-stocking the 2010ish era Cardinals and now some of the key picks Flores has made.

Mike Shildt made chicken salad out of this roster for 162 games and Mozeliak axed him for it.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 02:47 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Time to bring back Mike Mathney!!!!!
Oh no you all need to keep him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:50 PM 10-14-2021
A fanbase that pats itself on the back for giving standing ovations to pieces of shit like Brandon Moss, calls a manager that dragged a flawed ass team into the post-season 'terrible' and is constantly shitting on Edmonds in the booth while praising Brad Thompson deserves a mouth-breathing empty suit like Matheny back in the dugout.

Sure, why not. Matheny and Mozeliak are perfect for each other. And for the BFIB.

Fucking bullshit organization man.

Yadier Molina 4-pack ticket bundles and the all new Edmundo Sosa victory blue shirseys go on sale in just a couple of months, fans! Get yours now!!!!
[Reply]
Rams Fan 02:51 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
No - he really isn't.

Here's his track record of late:

All contracts in excess of $5 million over the last 10 years:

Ty Wigginton 2 years, 5 million
Randy Choate 3 years, 7.5 million
Jake Westbrook, 1 year, 9.75 million
Yadier Molina, 5 years 75 million

Jason Motte, 2 years, 12 million
Allen Craig, 5 years 31 million
Adam Wainwright, 5 years 97.5 million
Jhonny Peralta, 4 years, 53 million

Matt Carpenter, 6 years, 52 million
Jordan Walden, 2 years, 6.6 million

Lance Lynn, 3 years, 23.5 million
Jon Jay, 2 years, 11 million
Mike Leake, 5 years, 80 million

Brandon Moss, 1 year, 8.25 million
Trevor Rosenthal, 1 year, 5.6 million
Brett Cecil, 4 years, 30.5 million
Dexter Fowler, 5 years, 82.5 million

Carlos Martinez, 5 years, 51 million
Yadier Molina, 3 years, 60 million
Miles Mikolas, 2 years, 15.5 million
Luke Gregerson, 2 years, 11 million

Macell Ozuna, 1 year, 9 million
Paul DeJong, 6 years, 26 million
Greg Holland, 1 year, 14 million
Andrew Miller, 2 years, 25 million, 12 million option

Marcell Ozuna, 1 year, 12.25 million
Miles Mokolas, 4 years, 68 million
Paul Goldschmidt, 5 years, 130 million
Matt Carpenter, 2 years, 39 million with vesting option
Adam Wainwright, 1 year, 5 million
Kwang-hyun Kim, 2 years, 8 million
Adolis Garcia traded to Tex for cash considerations (Just throwing that in there)

St Louis declined 12.5 million option for Kolten Wong
Andrew Miller vested 12 million dollar option

How many of those worked out? Carpenter's first deal (which was immediately immolated by the worst extension ever). A couple of the later Wainwright deals. Maybe Jon Jay for a year before we had to dump him?

Look at that array of shit. He's, what, $400 million underwater there in terms of the value the team got out of those guys over what they'd have been able to get internally? Or by not trading away guys that were cheaper/more effective?

He's a BAD general manager. He's done a bad job building this team. The only reason anyone has EVER thought he was worth a shit was the work that Luhnow did in re-stocking the 2010ish era Cardinals and now some of the key picks Flores has made.

Mike Shildt made chicken salad out of this roster for 162 games and Mozeliak axed him for it.
I want Mozeliak held accountable as much as the next guy, but he’s done some good things with regards to acquiring talent.

Mikolas’ first contract had insane value. Neshek was an all star on a minor league deal. Goldschmidt, Arenado, and Ozuna were acquired in below market trades. The corpse of Craig was dumped for Lackey making below a million.

If your argument is Mozeliak is bad at signing expensive FAs that he didn’t first acquire, I won’t disagree. But he’s done well trading wise(for the most part).
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:05 PM 10-14-2021

He had a bullpen full of starters he could have pulled from.

Reyes has been dog shit terrible since the all star break. Period. His last 2 leverage situation he gave up game losing HR before the playoffs.

Schildt batted Carpenter in the middle of the lineup countless times this season hitting under .200.

I don't want to hear it, he was terrible at managing. He may be a decent coach but that's not his job.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:06 PM 10-14-2021
I want Mozeliak held accountable as much as the next guy, but he’s done some good things with regards to acquiring talent.

Mikolas’ first contract had insane value. Neshek was an all star on a minor league deal. Goldschmidt, Arenado, and Ozuna were acquired in below market trades. The corpse of Craig was dumped for Lackey making below a million.

If your argument is Mozeliak is bad at signing expensive FAs that he didn’t first acquire, I won’t disagree. But he’s done well trading wise(for the most part).
Mikolas first contract had excellent value that he immediately torched with an extension a year too early.

And I'll say the same thing about the Goldschmidt deal I said then - it WASN'T below market. It WAS the market. If anyone was offering more, Arizona takes it. And it wasn't until the last 4 months of this season that Goldschmidt played to his salary, let alone the prospect capital we traded to get him.

And the funny thing about the Arenado deal - when the rumors first started I crunched the numbers and here's what I said at the time (this was before it picked up steam, mind you - just seemed like more Mozeliak bloviating):

Spoiler!

My takeaway in there was that the Rockies would need to absorb almost $50 million to get to break even on a salary dump (I suggested they take on that much in bad contracts) and they would never do that so it wouldn't get done. Low and behold that's EXACTLY what they absorbed. They didn't take on bad contracts, they just paid cash. But I pegged the market for the guy. When everyone else was sucking off Mozeliak, it was because too many of these old talking heads still have no concept of surplus value.

The Cardinals didn't get Arenado for below market value either.

And in the end they didn't get Ozuna for below market value because evidently the rest of baseball knew what we, the fans, didn't know at the time - his shoulder was wrecked. Oh by the way, Sandy Alcantara and Zac Gallen, the guys we moved in that deal, might just have as much trade value as Jack Flaherty has right now. Alcantara almost certainly does at least (Gallen probably did but that elbow issue will scare teams off).

Man, if you're reaching for Neshek, you're really scraping bottom. Name a team that doesn't stumble-ass backwards into a reliever every year or two. That's the nature of reliever volatility and exactly why you shouldn't do dumb shit like pay retail at $36 million for Andrew Miller or give Brett Cecil 4 guaranteed years.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:17 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by VAChief:
Not near as bad as extending Matt Carpenter and a host of other blunders with personnel. Mo can’t evaluate young talent, and then overvalues those who are at best past their peak or as in the case of Andrew Miller…flat out toasted.
Yeah, we can bring in the reincarnation of Whitey and Larussa combined but the main reason for us not achieving a WS championship in 10 years is still the tight pocketbooks of Dewitt and Mo’s inability to evaluate talent. They are still there.

Just saw a clip of the zoom announcement. Dewitt looks like he’s 95 years old.
[Reply]
Page 33 of 44
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Up