ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3807 of 3903
« First < 2807330737073757379738033804380538063807 380838093810381138173857 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bwana 04:05 PM 12-02-2021
New case now in CO. This stuff has probably been here for awhile.
[Reply]
TLO 04:41 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
New case now in CO. This stuff has probably been here for awhile.
Yes. The whole " BREAKING NEWS... CASE FOUND IN ______ " is going to get old real quick.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 05:02 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
How is it that you're able to know this, yet knowing that by every reporting body that breaks down its stats by vaccination status 95%+ of the people currently in ICUs and dying are not vaccinated (as posted dozens of times itt) is somehow beyond your grasp to learn or even acknowledge?

You seem to be extremely intentional about which statistics you absorb and which you ignore.
The cognitive disconnect in this post is astounding.

You are really trying to shame me by arguing that the vaccines have better protection than prior infection in the previous varients?
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:06 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
My mom had to take my stepdad to the hospital this morning. Running a 103 fever and labored breathing. Tested positive and he’s since been placed on BiPap and given Remdesivir and sent to the ICU.

If you’re the praying type, my family would appreciate one right about now.
I hope he is ok and recovers fine. Thoughts are with your family.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:13 PM 12-02-2021
Glad we're back to discussing the minutiae of definitions of terms and uninformed conclusions from incomplete data. We're really making progress now.
[Reply]
TLO 05:14 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
My mom had to take my stepdad to the hospital this morning. Running a 103 fever and labored breathing. Tested positive and he’s since been placed on BiPap and given Remdesivir and sent to the ICU.

If you’re the praying type, my family would appreciate one right about now.
Sorry to hear this. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 05:46 PM 12-02-2021
Pretty good read from a Harvard epidemiologist about omicron. A few highlights:

Originally Posted by :
GAZETTE: When the vaccines came out, manufacturers emphasized protection against severe disease as the most important effect. At this point, it seems like that is still going to be the case?

HANAGE: Data is still coming in, but that’s my expectation based on the amount of antibodies which are generated by the vaccines. One thing that was being underreported before this was the fact that if a lot of people got boosters, we had the prospect of the virus struggling to infect a person who had received three shots. And, at least in the short term, people with three shots would be substantially protected against all infection. It’s early days, but it looks like that’s not going to be the case with Omicron. What remains to be seen is how serious the infections are. That’s the crucial thing.

About all we can exclude are the extremes. We know that it’s not very mild because hospitalizations are ticking up in South Africa. We know that it’s not incredibly serious, because hospitalizations are ticking up but not incredibly fast. So, all we can exclude is the extremes, and there’s a lot of room between those extremes for the virus to spring a nasty surprise upon us.

-----

GAZETTE: What are the implications of this for the end of the pandemic? It seemed like we were heading toward a situation in the U.S. with widespread resistance from vaccination or infection, where the virus is still here but illness is largely less severe. Does this push that back?

HANAGE: Yes. But I think that it’s reasonable to say that whatever is going to happen with Omicron could happen really quickly. The other thing I would point out is that anybody who has talked about the “end of the pandemic” has been doing people a disservice. Because you don’t get “ends,” what you get is a point where, gradually, people are able to chill, and they chill at different rates depending on their own attitudes about risk. Eventually, we get to a point where the pandemic is in the rearview mirror, but that point is going to be different for everybody. What this definitely means is that those of us who work in public health and those of us who work in infectious disease have got something new, serious, and very concerning on our plate to deal with. Looking at the sequence of Omicron is one of the most extraordinary moments I’ve experienced over a couple of years, which themselves have been extraordinary.
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...on-of-omicron/
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 05:51 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:

I think the world should be marveling at what a scientific achievement these vaccines are, but instead, we're using the word "leaky" far too much for my comfort level.
And the word "Nazi" for some asinine reason.
[Reply]
Otter 06:19 PM 12-02-2021

Yes, please do read it. https://t.co/ADByB8uyEc

— Brit Hume (@brithume) December 1, 2021

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 06:36 PM 12-02-2021
Thank you to those of you who responded or reached out via rep or text.

He's in bad shape. In the ICU and given Remdesivir, a steroid I can't recall the name of and a Monoconal Antibody treatment. He's getting the max of 6L of oxygen and his blood oxygen level is only at 85% with the help. LTF elevated and has fluid on the lungs.

Get fucking vaccinated, people.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:45 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Yes. The whole " BREAKING NEWS... CASE FOUND IN ______ " is going to get old real quick.

Oh, it already has, I laugh and live my life.
[Reply]
jdubya 08:05 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
The last line needs to be repeated everyday: "But the reality is Covid is something we need to learn to live with..."
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:17 PM 12-02-2021
Not real encouraging...

Scientists in South Africa have reported a sudden, sharp rise in November in coronavirus cases among people in that country who had already been infected, in a study that has not yet been reviewed and published by a scientific journal. The authors noted that there was no such upswing when the Beta and Delta variants emerged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/02/w...infection.html
[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Not real encouraging...

Scientists in South Africa have reported a sudden, sharp rise in November in coronavirus cases among people in that country who had already been infected, in a study that has not yet been reviewed and published by a scientific journal. The authors noted that there was no such upswing when the Beta and Delta variants emerged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/02/w...infection.html
Cases isn't necessarily the worst thing that could happen. Just depends on severity.
[Reply]
TLO 11:57 AM 12-03-2021
This is worth a read

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/620883/
[Reply]
Page 3807 of 3903
« First < 2807330737073757379738033804380538063807 380838093810381138173857 > Last »
Up