ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3800 of 3903
« First < 2800330037003750379037963797379837993800 3801380238033804381038503900 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:53 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You are comparing a virus to bacteria. Not remotely the same thing.

Viruses get weaker as they mutate. That is how they survive.
Right. Bacteria dont care if we live or die.
[Reply]
O.city 08:01 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Black Death wasn't a virus, it was bacteria.

Virology 101 is viruses don't want to kill their hosts and tend to get weaker.

This was to be expected. The 4 common circulating coronaviruses probably operated the same way with the last one believed to have arrived late 1800s and is now a common cold.
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You are comparing a virus to bacteria. Not remotely the same thing.

Viruses get weaker as they mutate. That is how they survive.
Eh, that's not necessarily true. So much of it has to do with the host/virus interaction. It's not really cut and dry like that.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:20 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Eh, that's not necessarily true. So much of it has to do with the host/virus interaction. It's not really cut and dry like that.
Well, the introduction of leaky vaccines could change this but I didn't want to bring those up in a "non-political" thread.

If you look at Alpha, Beta, Delta...the data shows the CFR dropping with the variants becoming a bit more transmissable.

Scientists consider this possible because that’s how the four endemic coronaviruses, called OC43, 229E, NL63 and HKU1, behave. At least three of these viruses have probably been circulating in human populations for hundreds of years; two of them are responsible for roughly 15% of respiratory infections. Using data from previous studies, Lavine and her colleagues developed a model that shows how most children first come down with these viruses before the age of 6 and develop immunity to them1. That defence wanes pretty quickly so it is not sufficient to block reinfection entirely, but it seems to protect adults from getting sick.

Jesse Bloom, an evolutionary biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, thinks the coronavirus might follow a similar path. “I do think SARS-CoV-2 will become a less serious problem and something like flu,” he says. Shaman and others say the virus could also settle into a seasonal pattern of annual winter outbreaks similar to flu.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:30 AM 12-01-2021
Someone down voted scientists who believe the virus will become weaker?!

Looks like someone doesn't want this to end.
[Reply]
Fish 08:44 AM 12-01-2021
Someone down voted scientists who believe the virus will become weaker?!

Looks like someone doesn't want this to end.
More likely your goofy persistent claims of "Leaky" vaccines. The vaccines have more than proven themselves at this point.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:49 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
More likely your goofy persistent claims of "Leaky" vaccines. The vaccines have more than proven themselves at this point.
Looks like you might want to learn what leaky vaccines are before you opine on the subject.

You are obviously clueless.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:53 AM 12-01-2021
Looks like you might want to learn what leaky vaccines are before you opine on the subject.

You are obviously clueless.
As he said, you are clueless or a purposeful spreader of misinformation.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:54 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
As he said, you are clueless or a purposeful spreader of misinformation.
Many animal vaccines are known as leaky vaccines, which means they reduce symptoms but people can still be infected by the viruses. Most human vaccines, such as for polio, and the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine are perfect vaccines, so they also stop transmission of the disease in question, Read said. (It's not clear why some vaccines are leaky, but diseases where the body does a good job of creating lifelong immunity after a single exposure, such as for childhood diseases like measles, seem to be more suited to the development of perfect vaccines, Read added.)
https://www.livescience.com/51682-va...r-viruses.html

Leaky vaccines are here defined as vaccines which reduce symptoms but don't stop infection.

Care to explain why you believe the Covid-19 shots don't fit this definition?!

Go ahead, this will be fun.
[Reply]
O.city 08:55 AM 12-01-2021
Well, the introduction of leaky vaccines could change this but I didn't want to bring those up in a "non-political" thread.

If you look at Alpha, Beta, Delta...the data shows the CFR dropping with the variants becoming a bit more transmissable.

Scientists consider this possible because that’s how the four endemic coronaviruses, called OC43, 229E, NL63 and HKU1, behave. At least three of these viruses have probably been circulating in human populations for hundreds of years; two of them are responsible for roughly 15% of respiratory infections. Using data from previous studies, Lavine and her colleagues developed a model that shows how most children first come down with these viruses before the age of 6 and develop immunity to them1. That defence wanes pretty quickly so it is not sufficient to block reinfection entirely, but it seems to protect adults from getting sick.

Jesse Bloom, an evolutionary biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, thinks the coronavirus might follow a similar path. “I do think SARS-CoV-2 will become a less serious problem and something like flu,” he says. Shaman and others say the virus could also settle into a seasonal pattern of annual winter outbreaks similar to flu.
Well, I've not really seen evidence of that yet, so it's not necessarily discussion yet. Some have advocated that it's happening, but I'm not sure.

It's just not cut and dry that they "evolve" into lesser pathogenicity. Unlike bacteria, viruses can't genetically change unless they have human cells to replicate it. Especially in a disease like Covid, the patient mortality happens a while post viral peak or infection so it's not really being pressured to become less virulent at this point. Atleast it would seem not to be. Unless we got lucky.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:00 AM 12-01-2021
Well, I've not really seen evidence of that yet, so it's not necessarily discussion yet. Some have advocated that it's happening, but I'm not sure.

It's just not cut and dry that they "evolve" into lesser pathogenicity. Unlike bacteria, viruses can't genetically change unless they have human cells to replicate it. Especially in a disease like Covid, the patient mortality happens a while post viral peak or infection so it's not really being pressured to become less virulent at this point. Atleast it would seem not to be. Unless we got lucky.
3 reasons.

1.History. We have a history of novel, semi-novel viruses getting introduced and becoming less virulent in humans over time.

2.Data. The data we have on case fatality rate shows the variants CFR is dropping...significantly from Alpha.

3. Evolutionary Theory. If a virus is too deadly and kills its host it won't be able to transmit and replicate to other as much. This is what we see with viruses like Ebola. Deadly but too deadly to cause mass-infection.

Can you name examples of viruses over time strengthening in nature and becoming more virulent?
[Reply]
O.city 09:08 AM 12-01-2021
Many animal vaccines are known as leaky vaccines, which means they reduce symptoms but people can still be infected by the viruses. Most human vaccines, such as for polio, and the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine are perfect vaccines, so they also stop transmission of the disease in question, Read said. (It's not clear why some vaccines are leaky, but diseases where the body does a good job of creating lifelong immunity after a single exposure, such as for childhood diseases like measles, seem to be more suited to the development of perfect vaccines, Read added.)

Leaky vaccines are here defined as vaccines which reduce symptoms but don't stop infection.

You're misinterpreting that study.
[Reply]
O.city 09:10 AM 12-01-2021
3 reasons.

1.History. We have a history of novel, semi-novel viruses getting introduced and becoming less virulent in humans over time.

2.Data. The data we have on case fatality rate shows the variants CFR is dropping...significantly from Alpha.

3. Evolutionary Theory. If a virus is too deadly and kills its host it won't be able to transmit and replicate to other as much. This is what we see with viruses like Ebola. Deadly but too deadly to cause mass-infection.

Can you name examples of viruses over time strengthening in nature and becoming more virulent?
Over time, sure. Time being quite a bit more than a year or so.

Again, you're simplifying this too much. It isn't necessarily the way it works.
[Reply]
Fish 09:11 AM 12-01-2021

OK, sure.

You're misinterpreting that study. Actually, you're simply repeating what Joe Rogan misinterpreted about that study.

Here's a response about that from the author of the study himself, Andrew Read:

Originally Posted by :
Are mRNA vaccines ‘leaky’?

Rogan seems to think that mRNA vaccines are quite leaky because of breakthrough infections. Read points out that no vaccine is 100% effective. Although we still need more data to determine how leaky they are, the rate of breakthrough infections in vaccinated people remains statistically low enough to consider the mRNA vaccines highly effective at preventing infection.

“We don't know at the moment how leaky these things are. It's conceivable that they are actually close to non-leaky. I'm amazed how good these mRNA vaccines are. They're incredibly good.”

Read’s very concerned that misrepresentation of his research is causing vaccine hesitancy.

“The study was tweeted a thousand times last night, according to our metrics,” says Read. “I had a physician in England reach out to me on Friday asking me to [clarify] because his patients are using my paper to argue against vaccination.” Calling into question the effectiveness of vaccines was never the intention of his 2015 study. “I am genuinely shocked. I've been doing work for 20 years now on how vaccines might drive the evolution of viruses. There's nothing in any of that 20 years work that argues in favor of withholding lifesaving vaccines. It's just shocking to me.” He adds, “There are 600,000 Americans dead so far. The vast majority of those deaths are vaccine-preventable. There's not a single scenario that would argue in favor of not using [vaccines] to save the next hundred thousand. Not one scenario.”

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andream...vaccine-study/
Direct words from the author. "I'm amazed how good these mRNA vaccines are. They're incredibly good.”
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:12 AM 12-01-2021
You're misinterpreting that study.
I posted the definition of leaky vaccines, not my thoughts on the study
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:13 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
OK, sure.

You're misrepresenting that study. Actually, you're simply repeating what Joe Rogan misinterpreted about that study.

Here's a response about that from the author of the study himself, Andrew Read:

Direct words from the author. "I'm amazed how good these mRNA vaccines are. They're incredibly good.”
That has nothing to do with the definition of leaky vaccines.

I would change the subject too if I just stuck my foot in my mouth like you did though.
[Reply]
Page 3800 of 3903
« First < 2800330037003750379037963797379837993800 3801380238033804381038503900 > Last »
Up