ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 15
« First < 41011121314 15 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Red Dirt Juke Box
Iowanian 04:41 PM 01-13-2015
In several discussions about music, several posters bring in Red Dirt Music to the conversation.

In this thread, I'd like to do things a little different to help people learn about our favorite artists, and post a couple of youtube videos of their song and your personal favorite playlist of that artist.
Feel free to include your own contributions, but follow the format. Videos of live performances, and list a few of your favorite songs.

I've met a few of these guys and have had beers with some of them, so I'll share stories and nuggets that they've told me. It's fine if you have a different take of the same artists or offer a different playlist.

Happy listening.
[Reply]
ChiefsOne 04:25 PM 11-29-2021
I prefer Red Dirt Metal
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 04:48 PM 11-29-2021
Jason Boland Live at Billy Bob's.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:51 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Jason Boland Live at Billy Bob's.
Boland is fire.

His new album comes out soon.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:53 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Nix's album dropped on June 26 I found. I gave it a listen.

Music is good and who doesn't love a great fiddle player. Lyrics are fine and similar in story telling while being more ominous than Turnpike.

However, there's a reason he wasn't the lead singer of the Troubadours.....
It was a decent album.

Blue Eyes was great. So was Graves.

But yeah, there was a reason he didn't front TT. His voice lacks the "it" factor.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:55 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Jason Boland and the Stragglers are first up. http://www.thestragglers.com/index.php?pg=music You can listen to most of his music in the link.

Boland has been a staple and pioneer in Red Dirt/Texas Music and has a pretty extensive list of songs. He touches on subjects of alcohol, drugs, social injustice among others.
Jason Boland had a vocal chord issue a couple of years ago that about killed his career, but the guy still has pipes.

The base player is from Kansas City, always sports Royals and Chiefs caps and is a damn nice guy to talk to. Grant has a youtube cooking show.

First up, my favorite song on the new album. The Dark and Dirty Mile

Some of my favorites:
Dark and Dirty Mile
Lucky I guess
Cormall County Blues
Blowing Through the Hills
Gallo Del Cielo This song is about a mexican fighting rooster
Bottle by my bed
When I'm stoned (a Colorado resident favorite)
Gear and Dust
Devil Pays in Gold
Noone left to blame
False Accusers Lament

There are many others, but these are the ones I like the best right now.
Gear and Dust...Live with Cody Canada accoustic

This is a youtube playlist with a pretty good overview of Boland's stuff
Boland might be #2 for me behind TT.

Sucks that The Bourbon Legend album isn't on Spotify. It has gems on it.

His music is just country with clever lyrics. In a just world, he is a Nashville legend.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 05:15 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'm a pretty big Reckless Kelly fan. They play a lot of different types of songs also. I pretty much don't skip one if they come on. One of the best IMO.

Other songs I like:
Bulletproof
How was California?
God Forsaken Town
Seven Nights in Eire (Not sure that one falls under Red Dirt, but it's a great song)
Nobody's Girl

But like I said, they're all pretty damn good.
There is an Irish country music singer who does a killer cover of Seven Nights in Eire.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 05:18 PM 11-29-2021
There is smoke.

https://turnpiketroubadours.com/

Coming soon....I'm also told there is a cryptic photo and message on instagram or something as well.

I sure hope there is about to be some music fire.

Also...if you're watching yellowstone, their entire soundtrack seems to be people linked in this thread. Last night was Colter Wall and Zach Bryan.
Lots of smoke nothing officially official yet. I had heard a rumor that the band was getting back together with a new front man, but I didn’t want to believe it. TT wouldn’t be TT without Evan.

Then the picture that they posted included Evan, so who knows.

Like I said, I’ll wait for an official announcement.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:43 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Boland might be #2 for me behind TT.

Sucks that The Bourbon Legend album isn't on Spotify. It has gems on it.

His music is just country with clever lyrics. In a just world, he is a Nashville legend.
Boland pours it on man. That’s why I dig it. You can fucking feel the emotion in his voice. Proud Souls is a song you feel more than hear. There aren’t a ton of dudes out there that convey that level of internal pain through music. He’s really fucking good.

Unlike the paint by numbers motherfuckers that come out of Nashville like Luke Bryant et al.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 05:59 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Boland pours it on man. That’s why I dig it. You can ****ing feel the emotion in his voice. Proud Souls is a song you feel more than hear. There aren’t a ton of dudes out there that convey that level of internal pain through music. He’s really ****ing good.

Unlike the paint by numbers mother****ers that come out of Nashville like Luke Bryant et al.
Down Here on Earth has been on repeat for months. Just a great song.

You really feel the tiredness in Hard Times Are Relative and the longing in Telephone Romeo.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:01 PM 11-29-2021
There is smoke.

https://turnpiketroubadours.com/

Coming soon....I'm also told there is a cryptic photo and message on instagram or something as well.

I sure hope there is about to be some music fire.

Also...if you're watching yellowstone, their entire soundtrack seems to be people linked in this thread. Last night was Colter Wall and Zach Bryan.

It doesn’t hurt that Yellowstone cast Ryan Bingham who’s a pretty decent Red Dirt artist in his own right.

Asshole character but great singer.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:49 PM 11-30-2021
Reckless Kelly is pretty solid.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 03:05 PM 12-03-2021
New Jason Boland album is out.

Pretty decent. It is a concept album about alien abduction. The last song is fire.
[Reply]
Pablo 01:23 PM 02-19-2022
:-)

I don't know WTF this guy's doing with these videos but I love it

[Reply]
srvy 09:15 PM 12-20-2022
I know its not red dirt as the dude is a Canuk but kinda dig his music. Folkie country with a tinge of bluegrass. Anyway really just wanted to bump it as I kinda miss the good old Red Dirt posts and this
thread is growing moss on the northern side.

[Reply]
Pablo 09:25 AM 08-11-2023

Figured this song would resonate with some folks here. This thread has been dead as shit for 8 months! Shameful!
[Reply]
Page 14 of 15
« First < 41011121314 15 >
Up