ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>3 things to change about the Chiefs’ player rotations
T-post Tom 12:42 PM 10-27-2021
Sorry no tales of a smelly vag or meth-addicted 'Super Fans'...

1. Play Nick Bolton over a healthy Anthony Hitchens

The rookie linebacker was the star of the game against the Titans, totaling 15 tackles and 4 tackles for loss. He was the catalyst in neutralizing running back Derrick Henry more than any other team has done this season — outside of Week 1.

He was inserted as the starting MIKE linebacker because Hitchens had to miss the game with the injury he suffered in Week 6 — but we don’t believe the team should look back. Bolton showed explosiveness — and an ability to come downhill through gaps to make run stops — at a higher level than we’ve seen from Hitchens this season.

Bolton struggled to cover his hook zone on passing plays effectively, but Hitchens isn’t any better in those scenarios.

It’s unrealistic to expect Hitchens to ride the bench for the rest of the season, but if the Chiefs want their best defensive players in the game, Bolton should be in — and playing the middle linebacker position — as much as possible.

2. Shorten the cornerback rotation to Charvarius Ward, L’Jarius Sneed and Rashad Fenton

In recent weeks, cornerback Rashad Fenton has clearly emerged as a player the team should trust to play outside and cover talented receivers. He’s had good snaps against the Buffalo Bills’ Stefon Diggs and Washington’s Terry McLaurin — and the statistics back up his overall play.

That’s why it was frustrating to see Fenton on the sideline on an important third-and-7 on Sunday, passed up for cornerback Mike Hughes to cover Tennessee’s A.J. Brown. The play resulted in a touchdown pass on a jump ball that Brown won over Hughes.

Fenton’s 45 snaps still outpaced Hughes’ 16 — but we believe Fenton should absorb all of the snaps that aren’t going to Charvarius Ward and L’Jarius Sneed. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is known to leave his starting outside cornerbacks in for the entire game. That should be extended to their three-cornerback sets; the Chiefs don’t use four cornerbacks on the field simultaneously.

Those three players have shown enough to be trusted as the only players taking cornerback snaps moving forward.

3. Drastically minimize Demarcus Robinson’s snap count
This year, the wide receiver has played 72% of the Chiefs’ offensive snaps — more than every other skill-position player not named Travis Kelce or Tyreek Hill. Yet he’s sixth on the team in receptions — and relative to the snaps he plays, he is one of the league’s least-targeted receivers.

Playing him over wide receivers Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle and Josh Gordon is becoming more and more unjustifiable. Playing Robinson is almost equivalent to taking a receiver away from the lineup on a given pass play. And it’s not like he’s been sound in other areas: three times this season, he’s been called for holding.

Even if the coaching staff plays him because they trust him to know the offense more than the others, it’s not enough to justify his lack of positive impact on the unit’s success. The other receivers should be able to provide what Robinson does — while also adding a higher likelihood of making a play in the passing game.

Wide receivers with 150+ routes run, but a target on less than 10% of their routes

Demarcus Robinson
Chris Conley
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Jalen Guyton
Brandon Aiyuk

— Nathan Jahnke (@PFF_NateJahnke) October 25, 2021

Playing him over wide receivers Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle and Josh Gordon is becoming more and more unjustifiable. Playing Robinson is almost equivalent to taking a receiver away from the lineup on a given pass play. And it’s not like he’s been sound in other areas: three times this season, he’s been called for holding.

Even if the coaching staff plays him because they trust him to know the offense more than the others, it’s not enough to justify his lack of positive impact on the unit’s success. The other receivers should be able to provide what Robinson does — while also adding a higher likelihood of making a play in the passing game.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/27/22748201/3-things-to-change-about-the-kansas-city-chiefs-roster-nick-bolton-rashad-fenton-demarcus-robinson
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:44 PM 10-27-2021
D-Rob about to go over for a buck fifty and three scores now
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:47 PM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
He was inserted as the starting MIKE linebacker because Hitchens had to miss the game with the injury he suffered in Week 6 — but we don’t believe the team should look back. Bolton showed explosiveness — and an ability to come downhill through gaps to make run stops — at a higher level than we’ve seen from Hitchens this season in his entire career.
Fixed.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:49 PM 10-27-2021
That tweet about WR targets doesn't mean dick about Robinson's ability.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:52 PM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
D-Rob about to go over for a buck fifty and three scores now
He's our new Chris Conley. (But w/o the piano skills.)

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:52 PM 10-27-2021
It is interesting that Robinson's catches are way down this year.

Perhaps to the detriment of the offense.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:53 PM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Fixed.
Yep
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:53 PM 10-27-2021
Can’t wait for Hitchens to get his job when he comes back.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:55 PM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
It is interesting that Robinson's catches are way down this year.

Perhaps to the detriment of the offense.

[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:59 PM 10-27-2021
Hitch can play all three positions right? Gay with his speed at Will, Bolton at Mike and throw Hitch at strong. At least then it would seem two of three are playing where they fit the best.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:01 PM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Hitch can play all three positions right? Gay with his speed at Will, Bolton at Mike and throw Hitch at strong. At least then it would seem two of three are playing where they fit the best.
How often do we use three linebackers on the field now? I feel like we use three safeties or three cornerbacks more than three linebackers these days.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:01 PM 10-27-2021
Hitch and Bolton can't cover anyone. Niemann can cover a little. Hitch needs to be benched if it's not a running situation.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:10 PM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
How often do we use three linebackers on the field now? I feel like we use three safeties or three cornerbacks more than three linebackers these days.
Good question. Maybe just let Hitch play for Clark. If we arent getting a pass rush at least we have a coach of the defense on the line now.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:17 PM 10-27-2021
I wholeheartedly endorse #1. Bolton needs to be the first linebacker on the field and the last one off.

I wholeheartedly endorse #2. I'm a big Fenton fan. Ward is obviously a starter and while Sneed is in a sophomore slump I'm hopeful that he'll get back into form.

I somewhat endorse #3. We all get a little frustrated with Robinson sometimes, but I'm not sure if he brings some things that are not obvious. I think he blocks downfield well, which is good when you're putting the ball into the hands of Tyreek and Kelce, and I use d to think that Robinson was good at improvising when Patrick is moving outside the pocket. I'm not so sure about that any more, but I think he's better than Hardman at a minimum.

I'd prefer to give Pringle time over Robinson, but I think Hardman is just a gadget player at this point. I don't think he does the little things that so important in this offense. And as for Gordon, I don't know enough about him in the offense to have an opinion there.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 01:19 PM 10-27-2021
They lack depth at these positions. Not sure how realistic #1 and #2 are. Especially since Gay and Ward are coming off injuries.

#1 should be playing Jones at DT. You can't let players decide what positions they want to play. Especially if they suck at a given position. Same thing with Brown at LT, though they don't have anyone else to play at LT right now.

I'm fine with limiting Robinson's snaps to see what Gordon or Pringle can do. I'm done with Hardman. He's nothing more than a fast receiver. He should have indeed been drafted by Al Davis.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up