ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 163 of 173
« First < 63113153159160161162163 164165166167 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:19 PM 12-29-2023
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I think it has been mentioned in here before but my wife and I are loving Peaky Blinders on Netflix. We have watched the first 4 seasons in a few weeks now. Great acting and great writing.
Yeah, watch it all and then there is a movie I think. I absolutely love Peaky Blinders. I think I've watched it through 3 times.
[Reply]
srvy 03:57 PM 12-29-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I watched "All the Light We Cannot See" on Netflix. I dunno if this should be in this thread or the movies thread since it's only 4 episodes. I'm sticking it here because there were notable breaks for episodes.

Anyway, onto the business. I recommend this. And normally I wouldn't. This, in improper hands would be GARBAGE. Most of it is a little too on the nose for me, but it handles it really well.

There were several components that made the thing float. Most notably were the sets. My god they were good. I'm no expert in WWII uniforms or architecture, but they really knocked it out of the park IMO.

More importantly though, the performances are good. Excellent in fact. Of the major players, any of them not bringing the heat, this thing turns into a lifetime movie.

I didn't really need any nazism in my life. But I am glad I watched this one. There are some really high brow components of this and it pulled it off pretty well without bashing you over the head with it.

tl;dr: This wouldn't normally be my gig, but it's really good and I'm glad I watched it.
This was really good! Thanks for the recommendation.:-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:32 PM 12-30-2023
We tapped out of Monarch after 4 episodes. Glacial pacing and characters who aren't compelling (especially the present tense trio).
[Reply]
In58men 11:37 PM 12-30-2023
I watched "All the Light We Cannot See" on Netflix. I dunno if this should be in this thread or the movies thread since it's only 4 episodes. I'm sticking it here because there were notable breaks for episodes.

Anyway, onto the business. I recommend this. And normally I wouldn't. This, in improper hands would be GARBAGE. Most of it is a little too on the nose for me, but it handles it really well.

There were several components that made the thing float. Most notably were the sets. My god they were good. I'm no expert in WWII uniforms or architecture, but they really knocked it out of the park IMO.

More importantly though, the performances are good. Excellent in fact. Of the major players, any of them not bringing the heat, this thing turns into a lifetime movie.

I didn't really need any nazism in my life. But I am glad I watched this one. There are some really high brow components of this and it pulled it off pretty well without bashing you over the head with it.

tl;dr: This wouldn't normally be my gig, but it's really good and I'm glad I watched it.
Thanks for the recommendation, very good show.

The wife actually read the book.
[Reply]
BigRichard 01:35 PM 01-01-2024
This has me intrigued...

[Reply]
Buehler445 03:20 PM 01-01-2024
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
This has me intrigued...

It was OK. It wasn't as good as it thought it was, and certainly wasn't as high brow as it thought it was. But it was worth a watch.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:00 PM 01-01-2024
Anybody watching Bookie on HBO? Short episodes about a guy and his partner running a sports book. Mostly a comedy. It’s an easy watch and entertaining enough.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:59 PM 01-02-2024
Watched the first episode of The Plot Against America last night.

Eagerly looking forward to Charles Lindbergh becoming American Hitler. :-)

One thing I really appreciate about the show is it shows how Americans used to listen to radio with an amazing level of attention and then discuss it with their neighbors, sidewalk town hall style. We don't have that anymore.

Now we have youtube and twitter.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:10 AM 01-03-2024
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
We tapped out of Monarch after 4 episodes. Glacial pacing and characters who aren't compelling (especially the present tense trio).
Confirming that you made the right decision

I made it to Godzilla and he couldn't save this steaming pile of shit
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:38 AM 01-03-2024
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I'm 2 in and find the premise interesting. There's potential there.

But yeah, the pacing is roooooouuuuuuugh. I think this may be a 'watch while I'm doing something else' show and I can perk up in the moments something critical might be happening without missing much.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:41 AM 01-03-2024
Yeah, watch it all and then there is a movie I think. I absolutely love Peaky Blinders. I think I've watched it through 3 times.
And they stuck the landing. I mean damn did they bring it home well.

The season with the Russian monarchy about lost me (season 3? Real piece of crap), but then Luca showed up and I was back in. That may have actually ended up being my favorite season though that's probably still Season 2.

In either event, gut your way through season 3 based on the goodwill of the first 2 seasons and the rest is pretty smooth sailing.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 11:30 AM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Watched the first episode of The Plot Against America last night.

Eagerly looking forward to Charles Lindbergh becoming American Hitler. :-)

One thing I really appreciate about the show is it shows how Americans used to listen to radio with an amazing level of attention and then discuss it with their neighbors, sidewalk town hall style. We don't have that anymore.

Now we have youtube and twitter.
Watched this during the pandemic and it was wonderful. Really enjoyed it and probably made me culturally appreciate being Jewish a bit more than I had previously.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:13 PM 01-04-2024
Definitely not CP’s demographic but I’m enjoying Atlanta
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:38 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Watched this during the pandemic and it was wonderful. Really enjoyed it and probably made me culturally appreciate being Jewish a bit more than I had previously.
Just finished it last night. Holy shit the last episode was an absolute banger.

Spoiler!

There should really be a second and third season of that show.

I'm going to go watch this tripe to satisfy my urge :-)

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:33 PM 01-04-2024
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm 3 episodes in on A Murder at the End of the World (Hulu) and am enjoying it

Seems really well made and executed so far
I watched this recently also. What did you think?

I thought it was a pretty solid who dun it.

But I don't think it was as smart or clever as it thought it was. But ultimately, I didn't guess it until they bashed me over the head with it.

I think there was some social narrative (outside of the obvious climate change evil corporation shit that was overt) they were going for and didn't really hit me like they thought it would.

Moreover, I'm starting to get a little tired of the trope of an investigation being a device to tell the backstory. Whenever they'd go back to catch the serial killer, by the end I was like get fucking to it, man. I think that bit peaked with Station Eleven. And it seemed like they were trying to hit some of those notes, but they didn't do it nearly as well as Station Eleven.

But that's pretty nitpicky. It's a good watch and there are some memorable concepts they hit on. Most notable is

Spoiler!

There were also some notes that hit hard. Darby's dealing with death was really strong acting, and

Spoiler!

So the scenery and the hotel were absolutely magnificent. But at the same time didn't seem to matter. I think we (or at least me) are getting desensitized to some really excellent filmmaking.

All in all a good watch, and good performances all the way around. I'd recommend it.
[Reply]
Page 163 of 173
« First < 63113153159160161162163 164165166167 > Last »
Up