ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 384 of 934
« First < 284334374380381382383384 385386387388394434484884 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:56 PM 07-26-2020
Recent bankruptcies in the retail world.

RTW Retailwinds (July 13)
Muji USA (July 10)
Sur La Table (July 8)
Brooks Brothers (July 8)
G-Straw Raw (July 3)
Lucky Brand (July 3)
GNC (June 23)
Tuesday Morning (May 27)
Centric Brands (May 18)
J.C. Penney (May 15)
Stage Stores (May 11)
Aldo (May 7)
Neiman Marcus (May 7)
J. Crew (May 4)
Roots USA (April 29)
True Religion (April 13)
Modell's Sporting Goods (March 11)
Art Van Furniture (March 9)
Bluestem Brands (March 9)
Pier 1 (Feb 17).
[Reply]
Stewie 02:03 PM 07-26-2020
Some interesting market changes in the last week.

The broad market became bearish on Friday. The analysis (from a highly respected group that is all about numbers and not emotion) is based on several factors, the most heavily weighted are corporate earnings.

The Fed balance sheet will move from it's current $5+ trillion to an estimated $9-12 trillion by the end of the year. Completely unprecedented. Printing money to cover paychecks and loans to individuals and companies.

Consuelo Mack had an interesting guest on her show Wealth Track today. It's an interview with the best bond investor in the last 35 years, Tom Atteberry. Quite interesting. Interview here if interested:

https://wealthtrack.com/safe-haven-i...tom-atteberry/

His only recommendation is to buy a house or other safe haven assets.
[Reply]
Stewie 02:07 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Muji USA (July 10)
Sur La Table (July 8)
Brooks Brothers (July 8)
G-Straw Raw (July 3)
Lucky Brand (July 3)
GNC (June 23)
Tuesday Morning (May 27)
Centric Brands (May 18)
J.C. Penney (May 15)
Stage Stores (May 11)
Aldo (May 7)
Neiman Marcus (May 7)
J. Crew (May 4)
Roots USA (April 29)
True Religion (April 13)
Pier 1 (Feb 17).

I worked for Tuesday Morning in high school. It was kind of like a garage sale in a retail establishment. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:10 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I worked for Tuesday Morning in high school. It was kind of like a garage sale in a retail establishment. I'm surprised it lasted this long.
That's a great description. I've only been in it one time, when I was Christmas shopping and just browsing around many years ago. That is exactly the impression I had of the place.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:26 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Muji USA (July 10)
Sur La Table (July 8)
Brooks Brothers (July 8)
G-Straw Raw (July 3)
Lucky Brand (July 3)
GNC (June 23)
Tuesday Morning (May 27)
Centric Brands (May 18)
J.C. Penney (May 15)
Stage Stores (May 11)
Aldo (May 7)
Neiman Marcus (May 7)
J. Crew (May 4)
Roots USA (April 29)
True Religion (April 13)
Pier 1 (Feb 17).
Woof
[Reply]
ghak99 05:08 PM 07-26-2020

The broad market became bearish on Friday. The analysis (from a highly respected group that is all about numbers and not emotion) is based on several factors, the most heavily weighted are corporate earnings.

The Fed balance sheet will move from it's current $5+ trillion to an estimated $9-12 trillion by the end of the year. Completely unprecedented. Printing money to cover paychecks and loans to individuals and companies.

Consuelo Mack had an interesting guest on her show Wealth Track today. It's an interview with the best bond investor in the last 35 years, Tom Atteberry. Quite interesting. Interview here if interested:

I often worry any time I see a trend of people who start to agree with my line of thought. I recently took some healthy profits and bought a house and am working on taking the rest of the profits for another. Even inquired about a third borderline shit hole today. I've also been hearing a lot of "gold" talk lately. In my case, I felt like the houses were a hedge agains the election results.

If everyone starts hedging against the apparent unknown, I'm now wondering what the next move needs to be.
[Reply]
Halfcan 05:21 PM 07-26-2020

The housing market is on a huge bubble imo- prices don't support value in the KC area. If Biden wins- this economy will tank and those who have been overpaying will be stuck for years.

Buy wisely.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:41 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I often worry any time I see a trend of people who start to agree with my line of thought. I recently took some healthy profits and bought a house and am working on taking the rest of the profits for another. Even inquired about a third borderline shit hole today. I've also been hearing a lot of "gold" talk lately. In my case, I felt like the houses were a hedge agains the election results.

If everyone starts hedging against the apparent unknown, I'm now wondering what the next move needs to be.
It isn’t gold.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:59 PM 07-26-2020
I'm just passing information from people that analyze markets for a living. Not selling anything, not pumping anything.

What is your strategy when the Fed balance sheet is -$10 TRILLION?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:42 PM 07-26-2020
Just FYI the sentiment indicators and insider trading are not good at the moment. Too much euphoria and insiders are selling.
[Reply]
ghak99 06:45 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It isn’t gold.
I personally agree, but when people who are not the normal gold pimping "sky is falling" type begin discussing it I tend to believe there is something to be gleaned from it. Even if I'm not smart enough to figure out what it is.

Has mid level land started to correct in your area?
[Reply]
scho63 06:52 PM 07-26-2020
99% of those retail companies that went bankrupt suck. Most didn't change fast enough or adapt.

Brooks Brothers??? How many people these days still wear a suit and tie? 2% of the workforce?

JCPenneys fate was done once they hired a clueless technology guy to run a retail business. Ron Johnson killed JCPenney.

SurLaTable-only one pompous retail store can over charge for kitchen wares like Williams Sonoma and that is Williams Sonoma.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:52 PM 07-26-2020
Gold is good as a trade not an investment. It pays $0 in dividends and you essentially have to time it. I've never understood the gold trade from a panic perspective. It isn't like companies are going to simply go from accepting $'s to gold. There's no established commerce with gold and most people don't own any gold.

That doesn't mean there isn't money to be made in gold. It's trading up lately and peopel who got in are making $'s if they take their profits.

But from a global "panic trade" perspective if the day ever comes that US $'s are no longer any good anywhere you'll do better owning seeds and crops and livestock than you will gold.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:53 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
99% of those retail companies that went bankrupt suck. Most didn't change fast enough or adapt.

Brooks Brothers??? How many people these days still wear a suit and tie? 2% of the workforce?

JCPenneys fate was done once they hired a clueless technology guy to run a retail business. Ron Johnson killed JCPenney.

SurLaTable-only one pompous retail store can over charge for kitchen wares like Williams Sonoma and that is Williams Sonoma.
Penny's was always one of my favorite stores but yeah the management fucked it all to hell.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:05 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I personally agree, but when people who are not the normal gold pimping "sky is falling" type begin discussing it I tend to believe there is something to be gleaned from it. Even if I'm not smart enough to figure out what it is.

Has mid level land started to correct in your area?
Ag land? IMO yes.

Valuation is a tough out in my part of the world. There is a lot of variability in soil type and since we are in the margins those differences are magnified, making true comparative sales difficult. Second there aren’t a ton of sales. So it’s really tough to get at, at least with a degree of confidence fat boy is comfortable with.

But yeah. It’s backed off. To what degree is arguable. In point of fact, I’m about to have that argument with a landlord this fall. Yay me.
[Reply]
Page 384 of 934
« First < 284334374380381382383384 385386387388394434484884 > Last »
Up