ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we stop with the trade Chris Jones shit?
RunKC 12:04 PM 12-08-2022
Watching this catastrophe again and yeah I, like all of you, were pissed and let this man have it bc a TE blocked him out of a play one time.

Guys. Holy shit man. He played really really well. Again. I heard this on Times Ours but am even more angry after seeing it.

Not only did they double Chris at all times but they blatantly held him. A lot. Like it was basically “this man is all they have and we gonna hold this motherfucker most of the time bc they can’t call it every single time.”

They legitimately hack-a-Shaq’d this man the entire game and it made me furious that it wasn’t called. Like what the fuck?

Anyway. This guy is our DL. Karlaftis had a few pressures. Dunlap had that big play. Frank was invisible and Danna wasn’t any better.

He might be the best player on this team not named Patrick Mahomes.

TL;DR pay Chris Jones his goddamn money
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:35 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Trading Hill isn’t the same as trading Jones.

With Hill gone, we still had Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid and Travis Kelce. Those 3 were critical in keeping the offense rolling. We additionally had Hardman to help with some of the same things due to pure speed.

We have nothing on the DL outside of a young improving Karlaftis. Nothing else.

We all saw how pathetic the pass rush was without Chris last Sunday. Gonna look a lot like that every week with him gone
Exactly. We're not replacing Jones, regardless of what we do.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:10 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Trading Hill isn’t the same as trading Jones.

With Hill gone, we still had Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid and Travis Kelce. Those 3 were critical in keeping the offense rolling. We additionally had Hardman to help with some of the same things due to pure speed.

We have nothing on the DL outside of a young improving Karlaftis. Nothing else.

We all saw how pathetic the pass rush was without Chris last Sunday. Gonna look a lot like that every week with him gone
In a way, you're making my exact point for me.

We've got Jones and nothing else. If we have to pay him $30m per, and will be picking around #30 for the forseeable future, we will have neither cash, nor high enough draft picks to EVER have any true playmakers around him. You're not getting a difference maker at EDGE at the bottom of the first.

So one STAR and JAGS is the deal, then. Because that's what we'll have access to.

OR- what if someone else wants to pay that $30m and will trade, like, a mid first and a third for the opportunity to put a star on their defensive line?

Well, we could sign TWO plus DE's (or one and an OT maybe?) AND draft a guy half the first round higher than we would otherwise have access to.

I have no idea if such a deal exists out there, I really don't. But I think if it does, you have to seriously consider it.

Two and perhaps three plus players on the line, or just one-who can be double-teamed while his line-mates all get stoned one on one.

And the problem with your scenario of having nothing if we let Jones go is that the whole POINT would be to re-stock with multiple plus players. If they trade Jones and do nothing, then yeah, bad idea and we'll suck on defense. But that's not why you would ever trade Jones.

You'd trade him to improve with the freed up cap room and draft resources.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:30 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
In a way, you're making my exact point for me.

We've got Jones and nothing else. If we have to pay him $30m per, and will be picking around #30 for the forseeable future, we will have neither cash, nor high enough draft picks to EVER have any true playmakers around him. You're not getting a difference maker at EDGE at the bottom of the first.

So one STAR and JAGS is the deal, then. Because that's what we'll have access to.

OR- what if someone else wants to pay that $30m and will trade, like, a mid first and a third for the opportunity to put a star on their defensive line?

Well, we could sign TWO plus DE's (or one and an OT maybe?) AND draft a guy half the first round higher than we would otherwise have access to.

I have no idea if such a deal exists out there, I really don't. But I think if it does, you have to seriously consider it.

Two and perhaps three plus players on the line, or just one-who can be double-teamed while his line-mates all get stoned one on one.

And the problem with your scenario of having nothing if we let Jones go is that the whole POINT would be to re-stock with multiple plus players. If they trade Jones and do nothing, then yeah, bad idea and we'll suck on defense. But that's not why you would ever trade Jones.

You'd trade him to improve with the freed up cap room and draft resources.
Jones is a star RIGHT NOW. How do you ensure that you get "multiple plus players" with a trade?
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 03:33 PM 12-09-2022
Chris Jones is fine. While I wouldn't call him a star he certainly is very good.

He's a DT it's easy to double those guys. He simply needs more help.

Frank Clark is the one that needs to go. Hopefully we can sign a decent edge rusher next offseason.

I will say the fact Jones 0 playoff sacks is crazy.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:20 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Jones is a star RIGHT NOW. How do you ensure that you get "multiple plus players" with a trade?
Well, going rate for a DE in the 8-10 sack range appears to be $15m, looking at the Spotrac '23 FA list, based on who's got close to that right now.

So, two DE's at, say, 18-20 sacks for $30m, or Jones at 10-12 for $30m.

That's more production, and at two spots, which is harder to work around for an offense.

Maybe we can afford to keep Jones and sign one of those guys; but we have gaping holes at OT as well, so I don't know.

And we'll have to decide what to do with Juju too.

Now, I'm not saying WE MUST do this, I'm not saying Jones sucks, I'm not saying I want him gone. He's a great player.

But if his salary prohibits us from getting better, then maybe a handful of good players is better than a star and some scrubs.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:37 PM 12-09-2022
We don't have to resign Jones this offseason. He is signed through next year. His number next year is a couple of million less than this year.
[Reply]
Womble 06:44 PM 12-09-2022
Jones is the least of our defensive problems. In fact he's probably the best guy we have on D.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 07:15 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
We don't have to resign Jones this offseason. He is signed through next year. His number next year is a couple of million less than this year.
Jones is going off at 27 million next year.

You either extend and lower that number, or trade.

It will depend heavily on what he brings to the table this post season.

Couple huge, drive killing sacks that get the ball back for our offense would be all it would take to move the needle to extend over trade.

If we fall short of a title, and he's still got zero sacks after 2-3 more post season games, piss off.

Paying this dude way too much money to disappear in the big ones. He's gotta produce, it's that simple.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:18 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Jones is going off at 27 million next year.

You either extend and lower that number, or trade.

It will depend heavily on what he brings to the table this post season.

Couple huge, drive killing sacks that get the ball back for our offense would be all it would take to move the needle to extend over trade.

If we fall short of a title, and he's still got zero sacks after 2-3 more post season games, piss off.
Yeah, he was over $29 million this year. We don't have to extend him next season. Could it be advantageous, yes but we don't have to extend him.
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:19 PM 12-09-2022
We need more pass rushers! Let’s trade our pass rusher!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:53 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
We need more pass rushers! Let’s trade our pass rusher!
Brilliant! Get more with what, exactly?
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:36 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Brilliant! Get more with what, exactly?
:-):-)
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:20 PM 12-09-2022
There should be a name for the ChiefsPlanet phenomena where people disregard the (possible) (very) negative implications of doing something by claiming that things can’t get worse than they already are.

Things can *always* get worse
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:22 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Chris Jones is fine. While I wouldn't call him a star he certainly is very good.

He's a DT it's easy to double those guys. He simply needs more help.

Frank Clark is the one that needs to go. Hopefully we can sign a decent edge rusher next offseason.

I will say the fact Jones 0 playoff sacks is crazy.
You wouldn’t call him a star? Okay, cool.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:28 AM 12-10-2022
There's absolutely no guarantee you get a haul of players more impactful and I really don't think you need a haul to make this DL better. Yes, it's complete dog turd outside of Jones, but given how good Jones is you really only need, imo, a good DE and a run stuffer and this DL is immeasurably better. With Clark gone we should be able to get that. I also don't see anyway we get the sort of mid-first and 3rd picks Chris mentions.If we did, sure, you'd have to think about it, but I can't see it happening
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up