ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 23
« First < 121819202122 23 >
Media Center>Syfy: The Expanse
keg in kc 03:30 PM 04-14-2014
I'm really excited about this - it's a fantastic set of books that I think could translate into really good TV.

Originally Posted by :
Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

By James Hibberd on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:30PM

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.”

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce. “The Expanse is one of the most special pieces of material we’ve ever encountered and it has been our dream to bring it to life since the moment we read it,” Daniel and Brown said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited to be doing it with this team of all-stars.”

Added Alcon president Sharon Hall: “The Expanse is an addictive, sophisticated, character-driven franchise and Mark and Hawk are the perfect people to steer it. Their script is a totally immersive and accessible sci-fi journey.”
(Just FYI, the author of Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey, is actually a collaberative pseudonym of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I guess EW didn't know this...)
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:43 AM 02-23-2021
I don't think it's possible for the things that happen in the novels to happen in one final season of the show, so not spoilers IMO. I think they're going to do vastly different things with Marco Inaros and scrap most of what happens with Laconia.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:35 AM 10-10-2021

[Reply]
Bowser 04:50 PM 10-10-2021

[Reply]
cookster50 08:36 AM 10-11-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Bad part is that it's the last season
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:43 AM 10-11-2021
It's the last season but it may not be the end. There's been discussions about adapting the remaining books as a series of movies.
[Reply]
srvy 10:12 PM 12-10-2021
New season dropped today I heard. Going to check it out after Gutfeld.
[Reply]
Third Eye 10:39 PM 12-10-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
New season dropped today I heard. Going to check it out after Gutfeld.
Watched the premiere last night. It was a fine start, but nothing too exciting yet.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:09 PM 12-10-2021
CGI fell off a fucking cliff for everything except the opening scene and losing Cas Anvar due to him being a creep has kicked the show in the shin.

Sucks they couldn't keep Jose Zuniga in the cast in light of Anvar's departure too
[Reply]
Bowser 11:15 PM 12-13-2021
Yeah it was strange not having Alex in the show. He meshed so well with the other characters/actors, too. Sucks for the viewers.

And I have not read the books, so maybe someone know the answer without being TOO spoilery - is this season going to being purely an Earth and Mars vs. Inaros and his Belters season, or are we going to get to explore some ring worlds? The opening scene with the little girl exploring a new planet only to cut away to the Protomolecule ship bearing down on it piqued my interest.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:42 PM 01-02-2022
Are we to believe Holden did what he did because he couldn't kill Naomi's kid in front of her? I'm not quite buying it, something's up.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:04 PM 01-02-2022
Are we to believe Holden did what he did because he couldn't kill Naomi's kid in front of her? I'm not quite buying it, something's up.
He's tired of killing I think is his reason for not dusting the Pella.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:35 AM 01-15-2022
That was abrupt and totally unfulfilling. Very disappointing.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:45 AM 01-15-2022
That was abrupt and totally unfulfilling. Very disappointing.
Nah, not really. The rumors say there will be more content coming, likely a movie or two. This was as good a spot as any to pause. The tone/setting of the series really changes after this.

I'm nearly done with book 9 of the series, and I rather hope they continue the series, whether that be a few short mini-series or a series of movies.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:04 AM 01-15-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Nah, not really. The rumors say there will be more content coming, likely a movie or two. This was as good a spot as any to pause. The tone/setting of the series really changes after this.

I'm nearly done with book 9 of the series, and I rather hope they continue the series, whether that be a few short mini-series or a series of movies.
Well, that helps, I suppose. The last two episodes just felt to me like they were trying to close things up like a battlefield triage job on a gaping wound and left way too much on the table. Plus, why not 10 episodes. Give me want I want so I don't whine like a little bitch, lol.

I've held off diving into the books until they were finished with the show (didn't want to Game of Thrones this thing) so I don't know the progression of the storyline they're basing the show on. I had heard that when the Holden/protomolecule storyline wraps up that the books jump 50-ish years into the future to the ring worlds, and while I'm interested, like I said, I felt there were way too many questions left unanswered.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:10 AM 01-15-2022
I don't think we gotta worry about the show falling apart game if thrones style or deviating from the book storylines. The guys who write the books are executive producers.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 23
« First < 121819202122 23 >
Up