ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Nzoner's Game Room>Can we stop with the trade Chris Jones shit?
RunKC 12:04 PM 12-08-2022
Watching this catastrophe again and yeah I, like all of you, were pissed and let this man have it bc a TE blocked him out of a play one time.

Guys. Holy shit man. He played really really well. Again. I heard this on Times Ours but am even more angry after seeing it.

Not only did they double Chris at all times but they blatantly held him. A lot. Like it was basically “this man is all they have and we gonna hold this motherfucker most of the time bc they can’t call it every single time.”

They legitimately hack-a-Shaq’d this man the entire game and it made me furious that it wasn’t called. Like what the fuck?

Anyway. This guy is our DL. Karlaftis had a few pressures. Dunlap had that big play. Frank was invisible and Danna wasn’t any better.

He might be the best player on this team not named Patrick Mahomes.

TL;DR pay Chris Jones his goddamn money
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 05:55 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
You wouldn’t call him a star? Okay, cool.
He has 0 sacks in 12 playoff games. No I definitely wouldn't call him a star.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:20 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
We don't have to resign Jones this offseason. He is signed through next year. His number next year is a couple of million less than this year.
Correct but a decision must be made this off season about a trade. That remaining year can be folded into a new contract but the new team. This makes the draft pick cost more palatable and us receiving more and or better draft picks.

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
If he lights it up this post season, which we all hope he does, the cost to keep him goes up but so does his trade value.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:47 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
There's absolutely no guarantee you get a haul of players more impactful and I really don't think you need a haul to make this DL better. Yes, it's complete dog turd outside of Jones, but given how good Jones is you really only need, imo, a good DE and a run stuffer and this DL is immeasurably better. With Clark gone we should be able to get that. I also don't see anyway we get the sort of mid-first and 3rd picks Chris mentions.If we did, sure, you'd have to think about it, but I can't see it happening
There are no guarantees of anything at all. Everything is a risk, including extending Jones. He'll be 30, does he begin to decline? Not everyone is Travis Kelce. What does 3 or 4 more seasons of double-teamed with no help do to his attitude?

What we do have is a significant sample size of what things are like when you have Jones who gets doubled every down and a bunch of guys who cannot win 1 on 1.

I still Karlaftis will be a good, solid player, but he's young.

And I'm not necessarily saying we need to trade Jones. I guess I was hoping for a discussion in which we might talk about pros and cons, and what compensation for something like that might be.

But half of the responders clearly don't even read the posts before they tourettes post.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 09:21 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Correct but a decision must be made this off season about a trade. That remaining year can be folded into a new contract but the new team. This makes the draft pick cost more palatable and us receiving more and or better draft picks.

If he lights it up this post season, which we all hope he does, the cost to keep him goes up but so does his trade value.
We couldn't get the value we wanted in a trade during the first contract negotiation.

The league knows we're in a bind on the Chris Jones deal. Trading Jones likely means that once again, he's produced nothing in the post season.

So what team is going to take on a huge number for a regular season superhero and postseason wet fart, let alone give up draft compensation for the right to do so?

We're going to be stuck extending to make cap space in all likelihood.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:38 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
There's absolutely no guarantee you get a haul of players more impactful and I really don't think you need a haul to make this DL better. Yes, it's complete dog turd outside of Jones, but given how good Jones is you really only need, imo, a good DE and a run stuffer and this DL is immeasurably better. With Clark gone we should be able to get that. I also don't see anyway we get the sort of mid-first and 3rd picks Chris mentions.If we did, sure, you'd have to think about it, but I can't see it happening

I'm not sure if you know anything about this draft class, but it is the deepest in DL than it has been in decades. The Dline this year is absurd. Best in years, don't even know what to compare it to. Carter, Bresee, Murphy, Ojulari, WAJ, Andre Carter, Foskey, Wilson, Verse, Nolan Smith. All of them could go top 25 or top 15 easily but will be pushed down because of position.

But in terms of overall draft it's an unbelievably talented draft at the top, super shallow throughout except for CBs and DLine.

This would be a GREAT year to have two picks in the draft, one high and one late. You can address OT and DL that way.

The people in this thread who are being morons aren't the ones who suggest trading Chris Jones.

It's the ones saying no way, don't even talk about it, even in terms of compensation.

Nobody on this team is untouchable except Mahomes, not Chris Jones, not even Kelce.

You always entertain trade offers, especially on players getting older. That is the only way to maintain a team capable of winning the SB.

If you can get the right kind of return on a Chris Jones trade, then package the picks to move up to the top ten in the draft you can get a left tackle that could anchor the position for years. Who is that player? I don't know.

But guys like Peter Skoronski or Paris Johnson Jr. or Broderick Jones aren't going to fall to the late 20s.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:49 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well, going rate for a DE in the 8-10 sack range appears to be $15m, looking at the Spotrac '23 FA list, based on who's got close to that right now.

So, two DE's at, say, 18-20 sacks for $30m, or Jones at 10-12 for $30m.

That's more production, and at two spots, which is harder to work around for an offense.

Maybe we can afford to keep Jones and sign one of those guys; but we have gaping holes at OT as well, so I don't know.

And we'll have to decide what to do with Juju too.

Now, I'm not saying WE MUST do this, I'm not saying Jones sucks, I'm not saying I want him gone. He's a great player.

But if his salary prohibits us from getting better, then maybe a handful of good players is better than a star and some scrubs.
I have a fear we may sell off Chris Jones to get a multiple picks, one of which is in the teens somewhere.

And we would do that to get our LT
[Reply]
JPH83 11:19 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
There are no guarantees of anything at all. Everything is a risk, including extending Jones. He'll be 30, does he begin to decline? Not everyone is Travis Kelce. What does 3 or 4 more seasons of double-teamed with no help do to his attitude?

What we do have is a significant sample size of what things are like when you have Jones who gets doubled every down and a bunch of guys who cannot win 1 on 1.

I still Karlaftis will be a good, solid player, but he's young.

And I'm not necessarily saying we need to trade Jones. I guess I was hoping for a discussion in which we might talk about pros and cons, and what compensation for something like that might be.

But half of the responders clearly don't even read the posts before they tourettes post.
Yeah I'm not meaning to sound completely dismissive, I'm not saying I think it's a totally mad move. A mid first and 3rd as you suggested WOULD be tempting. But I don't know we get that for some of the same reasons you mention. He's approaching 30, will be pricey and he's a DT after all.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:24 AM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I'm not sure if you know anything about this draft class, but it is the deepest in DL than it has been in decades. The Dline this year is absurd. Best in years, don't even know what to compare it to. Carter, Bresee, Murphy, Ojulari, WAJ, Andre Carter, Foskey, Wilson, Verse, Nolan Smith. All of them could go top 25 or top 15 easily but will be pushed down because of position.

But in terms of overall draft it's an unbelievably talented draft at the top, super shallow throughout except for CBs and DLine.

This would be a GREAT year to have two picks in the draft, one high and one late. You can address OT and DL that way.

The people in this thread who are being morons aren't the ones who suggest trading Chris Jones.

It's the ones saying no way, don't even talk about it, even in terms of compensation.

Nobody on this team is untouchable except Mahomes, not Chris Jones, not even Kelce.

You always entertain trade offers, especially on players getting older. That is the only way to maintain a team capable of winning the SB.

If you can get the right kind of return on a Chris Jones trade, then package the picks to move up to the top ten in the draft you can get a left tackle that could anchor the position for years. Who is that player? I don't know.

But guys like Peter Skoronski or Paris Johnson Jr. or Broderick Jones aren't going to fall to the late 20s.
I know a little re the draft but wouldn't pretend to know it all, I recognise all those guys you mention. But the flip side of the depth is you can probably get impact with the existing picks we have...alongside an already elite DT.

My issue is that I would be amazed if we get the sort of haul for Jones that's being suggested. What are you thinking we'll get?
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:32 AM 12-10-2022
If we stand pat, we absolutely can get a DT at our slot in the first. I would say it's easily the most value-based choice. Get a guy at 27 or whatever we end up with to pair with Jones and our D-line issues are basically over. You're getting top 10-15 value at the end of the draft and if you keep Jones the double teams are going to be less of a problem. Provided you pick the right guy.

BUT

You haven't fixed the OT issue yet and you won't in the draft this way. I'm fine doing something else but it has to be fixed and keeping Orlando Brown another season is what I'm worried about.

I don't know what we could get for Jones and I think it's going to be less than we want BECAUSE of this draft and all the talent at DL.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 02:10 PM 12-10-2022
Forgotten, or perhaps just revisionist history prevents many from remembering that Chris Jones was a second round draft choice.

Doesn't always have to be a high first rounder.

Two ex Chiefs players that get drooled over constantly were picked in the 3rd (Kareem Hunt) and 5th (Tyreek Hill) rounds.

We got Pacheco in the seventh for Christ's sake.

So if there's a move to be made for a package of picks, Veach can still add valuable players to this roster to dump a bloated salary of a playoff invisible guy pushing 30.

It just may not be that flashy mid first and third that everyone wants.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:16 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Moron
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:37 PM 12-10-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
We don't have to resign Jones this offseason. He is signed through next year. His number next year is a couple of million less than this year.
No, you've got to do something before 2023 is over. Tagging him again doesn't seem realistic and if he hits the open market he is gone and you get nothing more than a limp dick end of 3rd round comp if you sign nothing in comparison.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 12-10-2022, 03:09 PM
This message has been deleted by Wallcrawler.
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Up