ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3894 of 3903
« First < 2894339437943844388438903891389238933894 3895389638973898 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Otter 02:37 PM 08-23-2022
and i'll rest my case...

Originally Posted by penguinz:
So apparently trump owns shares in the company Sanofi which makes Plaquenil.

How convenient for him to be pushing this constantly without knowing what he is talking about.
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Unfortunately with the leadership in place, ALL parties, I do not seeing this happening.

[Reply]
Demonpenz 08:14 PM 08-23-2022
New Covid breakout just in time for elections
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:15 AM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by Hank Hill:
Thank you

Right now, I'm with you. I had omicron in June (which version is an unknown, but it was likely BA.4 or BA.5 based upon wastewater surveillance)

I'd like more data on what kind of benefit a 4th shot with the reformulated version would do to benefit me.
My wife (early June) and son (same as me in mid July) both have had COVID fairly recently. Though my daughter has never tested positive in spite of very close contacts multiple times. Including being at the same concert where my wife picked up COVID. I'm starting to think my daughter is just totally immune to it at this point.

Unless some really convincing data comes out, I doubt my wife or son will get boosted, not as sure about my daughter, but I'm leaning towards no.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:53 AM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
My wife (early June) and son (same as me in mid July) both have had COVID fairly recently. Though my daughter has never tested positive in spite of very close contacts multiple times. Including being at the same concert where my wife picked up COVID. I'm starting to think my daughter is just totally immune to it at this point.

Unless some really convincing data comes out, I doubt my wife or son will get boosted, not as sure about my daughter, but I'm leaning towards no.
Everybody in our house has had it at least once. My wife's grandpa has had it twice. My mother in law still hasn't gotten it.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:20 AM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Everybody in our house has had it at least once. My wife's grandpa has had it twice. My mother in law still hasn't gotten it.
I still haven’t gotten it yet we fe and both kids once , girls at work all have , I got a bug for the first time two weeks ago but all the tests were negative including pcr . Not sure about another booster yet I assume can still help vs severe disease but I might wait for a newer one targeted towards newer strains, not sure yet
[Reply]
MagicalFruit 04:16 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Just because I'm tired of strictly thinking negative. It's amazing to think about all of the good that will come out of COVID-19. We should have some pretty amazing medical advancements and this is good training for if we have another much more dangerous pandemic. I'll be interested in a couple of years from now to see what has come from Covid.
Any updated thoughts on this? Do we think anything good has really come from this pandemic? Any amazing medical advancements? Are we more prepared for a much more dangerous pandemic?

I am thinking that at this point we are less prepared, honestly.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:34 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by MagicalFruit:
Any updated thoughts on this? Do we think anything good has really come from this pandemic? Any amazing medical advancements? Are we more prepared for a much more dangerous pandemic?

The development and refinement of mRNA vaccine processes could be one of the more major advancements of our lifetimes.
[Reply]
phisherman 04:41 PM 08-29-2022

We were vastly underprepared and we still are.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:48 PM 08-29-2022

The vaccines will be better and even fewer people will take them.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:57 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by phisherman:
What does "being prepared" mean, though? If a tornado wipes out a town, does that mean the town wasn't prepared? If someone dies in a car accident, was the driver not prepared? Was Steve Irwin prepared when a stingray killed him?

Everything we do is a calculation between risk we face and effort required to mitigate that risk. We could blow the entire world's budget doing research and drills for pandemics, only to have an asteroid hit us in a year and wipe out all life on the planet because we didn't fully appreciate that risk.

We've certainly learned a lot these past few years, and I disagree strongly with the idea that we're "less prepared" - most people just didn't appreciate the risks like they do now. And it's almost undeniable that our mitigation efforts kept the death toll much lower than it could have been otherwise.

But does that mean that it'll never happen again? Of course not. We live on a rock that doesn't give a shit if we're here or not, so all we can do to "be prepared" is to assess the risks as accurately as we can, prepare accordingly, and hope that the probabilities play in our favor.
[Reply]
TLO 04:57 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The development and refinement of mRNA vaccine processes could be one of the more major advancements of our lifetimes.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by phisherman:
I don't disagree, but it's really, really, hard to plan for a pandemic. Add in that a large percentage of people don't want to follow through with the guidance that is put out there. The CDC also dropped the ball big time during COVID, so unless the next pandemic hits after our lifetimes, there's going to be a large dose of skepticism by a lot of folks regarding what they say.

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Not only will the vaccines be better, but they'll be ready sooner too. (At least I imagine now that mRNA vaccines have been studied to a large degree the approval process will be quicker.)
[Reply]
MagicalFruit 05:02 PM 08-29-2022
Eh, I don't think you'll see that at this point. I could see it driving people further apart, though. If we DO see any sort of a surge this fall and most people are like me and don't have any sympathy for unvaccinated people who die, it's probably gonna piss a lot of people off.

I just don't have any patience left. If you die from driving drunk, not wearing a seat belt, riding a motorcycle without a helmet, playing russian roulette, or not getting a COVID vaccine, that's on you.
Modern day Nostradamus with that first bolded part!

For the second bolded part...it cuts both ways my friend.
[Reply]
MagicalFruit 05:05 PM 08-29-2022
mRNA technology was develop decades ago, no? The devil is in the detail of the refinement part that you speak of...seems they have been trying to do that for years. Although, finally putting it in some humans will probably help move the process along quicker than if they had to keep using lab rats...I agree.
[Reply]
MagicalFruit 05:07 PM 08-29-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I sure hope the vaccines will be better, hopefully a lot has been learned from this go around. But why do you think fewer people will take them?
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:28 PM 08-29-2022
I sure hope the vaccines will be better, hopefully a lot has been learned from this go around. But why do you think fewer people will take them?
Why didn't people take it the first go around?
- Supposed fear of long term side effects
- Vaccines being more(?) dangerous than what it's preventing
- Do the really work at all
- Youtube doctors
- People die everyday, who cares if they die from this thing (while simultaneously caring deeply about the minuscule chance of dying from the vaccine)
....other reasons?

Which of those reasons goes away with another pandemic, considering as you just said, the technology had already been in development for decades? And add to it, didn't die last time.

Hell, you just quoted Daface to say we should be afraid of the vaccines killing people, which his hilariously terrible math... if you still aren't convinced they're safe 2 years later, well, just multiply that by a 150 million people.

Fewer people will take them because Dunning Kruger + confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.
[Reply]
Page 3894 of 3903
« First < 2894339437943844388438903891389238933894 3895389638973898 > Last »
Up