ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 32
« First < 192526272829 303132 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>If the Chiefs took WR Christian Watson at 30…
staylor26 02:01 PM 03-11-2022
How would you feel about that?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:41 PM 09-12-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I couldn't get off the bandwagon fast enough when I saw his drop rate. That was clearly going to be an issue.
It's one of those 'god bless the broken road' moments....

Watson might have been appealing to Veach in his first or 2nd year as a GM. But he's learned from past mistakes and gave the kid a wide berth.

You can't bite on fools gold like that. There are just too many ways for it to go wrong.
[Reply]
Shoes 03:02 PM 09-12-2022
Much better go route though- kid has all the tools in the world. Be interesting to see if he can figure it out or if he flounders his opportunity.

There was a bubble screen late that Watson wasn't ready for, almost caused an INT. Game seems way too fast for Watson right now.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:05 PM 09-12-2022
Originally Posted by Shoes:
Much better go route though- kid has all the tools in the world. Be interesting to see if he can figure it out or if he flounders his opportunity.

There was a bubble screen late that Watson wasn't ready for, almost caused an INT. Game seems way too fast for Watson right now.
No, he really doesn't.

No more so than Usain Bolt does.

He's just tall and fast in a straight line. That's like - 2 of the tools in the world. Squint and you can get to 3. I believe there are a few more than that necessary to be an effective receiver.

He can't get off a jam, he doesn't have an NFL route tree and most critically, he can't catch the ball. Methinks he doesn't have all the tools. And in fact, he's missing most of the critical ones.

Kid's not gonna see a second contract in this league.
[Reply]
Shoes 03:28 PM 09-12-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
No, he really doesn't.

No more so than Usain Bolt does.

He's just tall and fast in a straight line. That's like - 2 of the tools in the world. Squint and you can get to 3. I believe there are a few more than that necessary to be an effective receiver.

He can't get off a jam, he doesn't have an NFL route tree and most critically, he can't catch the ball. Methinks he doesn't have all the tools. And in fact, he's missing most of the critical ones.

Kid's not gonna see a second contract in this league.
Comparing the go route which I posted from the North/South tryouts to this go route on play 1 though, it does seem like he's been coached up. Attacks the CB's inside shoulder the first 7-8 yards and when the CB makes his pivot step to the inside, he immediately attacks the CB's outside shoulder. Watson on this play is insanely wide open- 4 yards of separation.

Route running can definitely improve with good coaching and reps, he'll get that at the NFL level. Getting off of a jam can improve with good coaching, and being 6'4 with a long wingspan helps. He isn't going to see press coverage all the time, good scheme and coaching can try to limit those opportunities.

Watson's catching ability is definitely cause for concern, but I'm not ready to write him off yet. Speed kills, obviously plenty of big fast guys have failed in the past but Green Bay knew Watson was a low floor/high ceiling guy when they drafted him. I don't think it's reasonable to think he was going to step in and be a major contributor. Missed a lot of training camp time also, I would start to worry if by the tail end of the season he hasn't taken a step forward.

I think the situation in Green Bay exacerbates Watson's development, the Packers need someone from their WR's to step up majorly. Watson's ideal landing spot would have been a WR room where he can marinate for awhile.
[Reply]
Pablo 03:45 PM 09-12-2022
No wonder Aaron looked like he wanted to murder everyone. That’s just gross
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:52 PM 09-12-2022
Oof. How do you alligator arm a catch that's right in your breadbasket?

Yeah - nothing about this kid said he should've gone that high. "GENERATIONAL ATHLETE!!!!"

Just a laughable draft crush.
Yeah, that was the perfect ball. Under no pressure. Mind boggling.
[Reply]
raybec 4 08:11 PM 09-12-2022
Originally Posted by Pablo:
No wonder Aaron looked like he wanted to murder everyone. That’s just gross
Rogers is such a classy guy too, I'm hoping Watson drops everything thrown his way just to drive that arrogant prick crazy.
[Reply]
Stro39 10:32 PM 09-12-2022
I like this guy a lot better when he was a fourth rounder, months before the Senior Bowl and the draft.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 11:57 PM 09-12-2022
Even as questionable as his hands have been to this point, he’s still going to have enough instances where he gets open deep due to his size and speed that he’ll get more easy opportunities like that.

In all actuality he’s a perfect replacement for what MVS was for them and even with his reputation of having bad hands, still performed enough to be a legitimate decoy for GB and a deep option for Rodgers. I think that’s really all they’re expecting from him at this point. Doubs is likely the closest thing to an eventual WR1 they have on the roster.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:11 AM 09-13-2022
You're hoping he turns into MVS.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:12 AM 09-13-2022
I would rather just take good football players.

Watson will never be better than Shakir who went in the 5th round.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:23 AM 09-13-2022
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I would rather just take good football players.

Watson will never be better than Shakir who went in the 5th round.
They're fortunate they took a real football player in Romeo Doubs 3 rounds later or they'd really be up shits creek.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:26 AM 09-13-2022
Who had the worse rookie debut, Christian Watson or Nathaniel Hackett?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 01:01 PM 09-13-2022
They're fortunate they took a real football player in Romeo Doubs 3 rounds later or they'd really be up shits creek.
My friend in Wisconsin who is a Packers fan almost had a stroke when they drafted Christian Watson.

:-)
[Reply]
Otter 03:02 AM 09-25-2022
Would have taken him in the 3rd without hesitation. Thanks to the Packers for taking the option off the table.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 32
« First < 192526272829 303132 >
Up