ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 286
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Media Center>*The NEW Movies Thread*
Bowser 11:09 AM 01-04-2014
Old one is crapping out the server, per the new guidelines.

Browse the old thread that is chock full of goodness here -

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245
[Reply]
underEJ 02:08 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Watching a pretty cool old western from 1971 called The Hunting Party with Gene Hackman, Oliver Reed, Candice Bergen, LQ Jones and several other familiar faces.

Its about a cattle barons wife who's kidnapped by bandits and he goes on the hunt for her... but wow, movies were just different back then... the guy responsible for her kidnapping smacks her around real good and rapes her a few times, but soon after she then begins to fall in love with him after the simple act of him giving her some peaches.

I mean, its kinda crazy considering the uproar something like this would probably cause these days... these old macho movies are pretty hilarious... all ya gotta do to tame a woman and make her fall in love is smack her around and give her a good poke, that'll set her straight!
There is certainly some real life truth in the sympathizing with captors story line. It happens alot, and runs from helping a not-so-bad in the bad guy group, through the falling in love, or seemingly assimilating to the situation. I do think movies have gotten a bit better about exploring it than in particular old westerns like you called out.

However, there still remains a huge problem in tv/movies and that is the notion that violence somehow is a turn on to men. Care is taken to avoid violence of men toward women as a turn on, but there is still a rampant use of what I call the "slap and fuck" where a woman is allowed to slap or otherwise inflict violence upon a man, and then the romance really takes off and they fall into passionate sex, as if all she needs is to have the frustration fucked out of her. I could make a 2 hour movie of just examples of that progression that usually goes slap-hold arm from slapping again-stare at each other-crush each others faces in a really angry kiss- tear off clothes.

What a cheap device taking a short cut through what really amounts to a story problem. They set up the dislike so carefully and they know the payoff they want from the characters is to fall in love, they are just too lazy to do the hard work of really giving the relationship depth. Here is a good example of what I am talking about:

In Gangs of New York, a movie that I mostly really like aside from Cameron Diaz, and not because I don't like the actress, but because that character is a joke. She and Amsterdam are adversarial after he had rejected her, until one night she slaps him, they fuck, no words hardly at all. Then while she sleeps, he has a great conversation with Bill the Butcher and we learn all sorts of good stuff about the two of them. Bill and Amsterdam of course, who would need to know anything about the girl character who's name I forget and Amsterdam? They slapped and fucked. Clearly it is love.
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 02:39 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
Original? Or the American remake?
Remake
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:29 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by underEJ:
There is certainly some real life truth in the sympathizing with captors story line. It happens alot, and runs from helping a not-so-bad in the bad guy group, through the falling in love, or seemingly assimilating to the situation. I do think movies have gotten a bit better about exploring it than in particular old westerns like you called out.

However, there still remains a huge problem in tv/movies and that is the notion that violence somehow is a turn on to men. Care is taken to avoid violence of men toward women as a turn on, but there is still a rampant use of what I call the "slap and ****" where a woman is allowed to slap or otherwise inflict violence upon a man, and then the romance really takes off and they fall into passionate sex, as if all she needs is to have the frustration ****ed out of her. I could make a 2 hour movie of just examples of that progression that usually goes slap-hold arm from slapping again-stare at each other-crush each others faces in a really angry kiss- tear off clothes.

What a cheap device taking a short cut through what really amounts to a story problem. They set up the dislike so carefully and they know the payoff they want from the characters is to fall in love, they are just too lazy to do the hard work of really giving the relationship depth. Here is a good example of what I am talking about:

In Gangs of New York, a movie that I mostly really like aside from Cameron Diaz, and not because I don't like the actress, but because that character is a joke. She and Amsterdam are adversarial after he had rejected her, until one night she slaps him, they ****, no words hardly at all. Then while she sleeps, he has a great conversation with Bill the Butcher and we learn all sorts of good stuff about the two of them. Bill and Amsterdam of course, who would need to know anything about the girl character who's name I forget and Amsterdam? They slapped and ****ed. Clearly it is love.
You sound a lot like a few of the online reviews I read about this movie afterwards, its roundly ripped.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:31 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
http://www.labordaymovie.com/
Thanks for the effort, but my flash player is ALL jacked up right now, cant watch a damn thing.
[Reply]
patteeu 03:33 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Thanks for the effort, but my flash player is ALL jacked up right now, cant watch a damn thing.
Here you go: Labor Day on IMDB
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:12 PM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Here you go: Labor Day on IMDB
Ah thank you sir, that indeed looks like a very similar story to The Hunting Party, heavy stuff, surprised I haven't heard more about it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:42 AM 02-14-2014
I caught Hansel and Gretel last night.

I had totally forgotten that it was rated R. Needless to say I was surprised when they started dropping F bombs and even showed a little titty.

It was decent enough. Fairly predictable, but shit, it's hansel and Gretel. Definitely some hotties roaming around in it.

I'd say it's worth a watch.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:54 PM 02-14-2014
Has anybody watched Runner Runner with Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck? Looks decent enough, just haven't been inspired enough to rent it yet.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:10 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Has anybody watched Runner Runner with Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck? Looks decent enough, just haven't been inspired enough to rent it yet.
It's like 13 percent on Rotten Tomatoes... I'd pass.

EDIT: My bad... 9 percent.
[Reply]
Ceej 03:15 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Bowser:
It was just okay. I expected a lot more. Worth a redbox, I guess.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 03:59 PM 02-14-2014
anyone see Monuments Men? is it really that bad?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:14 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
It's like 13 percent on Rotten Tomatoes... I'd pass.

EDIT: My bad... 9 percent.
Haha, whoa. The trailer makes it look interesting enough, and Affleck and JT are solid actors.....but maybe not in this one. I'll wait for HBO.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:01 PM 02-14-2014
God damnt Enders Game. How do you fuck up something so awesome?
[Reply]
-King- 10:24 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
God damnt Enders Game. How do you fuck up something so awesome?
Was it really that bad? I've been debating whether I want to watch it or not.
[Reply]
NewChief 10:50 PM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by -King-:
Was it really that bad? I've been debating whether I want to watch it or not.
It's alright. Very underwhelming to me. Just seemed like a glossed over summary of the book.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 286
« First < 121819202122 232425263272122 > Last »
Up