ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Burrow and Herbert extension cost
The Franchise 12:37 PM 01-25-2023

Expectation around the league is for Justin Herbert’s (and Joe Burrow’s) contract extension(s) to surpass the $50.3 million AAV currently held by Aaron Rodgers as QB1 on the market, per ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

— Guilty As Charged Podcast (@GACPodcast17) January 24, 2023

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:57 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by DRM08:
They’ll keep Chase. I think Higgins is a goner though. Chase will get north of $30M while Higgins will demand north of $25M. They will send Higgins somewhere else to get that money. But the combo of Burrow & Chase at $85-90M per year is going to mess up the roster in general, especially the defense.
Chase is a HoF talent.

Higgins is just pretty good. He's the kind of guy you replace.

But Burrow and Chase will be the core of that team for a decade, regadless of what they ask for. And as the cap continues to climb, they'll be able to maneuver in ways that keep that roster relatively sturdy.

But yeah, it'll take a step back here and there and the Bengals will be counting on improvement from Chase and Burrow to take up that slack.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:58 PM 01-25-2023
The crazy thing is Herbert put up zeros and his team is STILL expected to be $20m over the cap. BEFORE he even signs. Maybe that’s why Staley wasn’t fired. Need a fall guy for the drop off
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:58 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Following that model assumes the players and agents are willing to play ball, and also that the owners can afford to dump more and more cash into escrow every time the rolling guarantees occur.
I still feel like this is nothing more than a convenient excuse for owners who just want to be cheap. And really, the Bengals have demonstrated a willingness to spend the last few years.

There's more than enough franchise equity in the Bengals for Mike Brown to get a loan if he needs to.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:00 PM 01-25-2023
I personally think teams need to say goodbye to the Lamar Jackson's, the Justin Herberts and the Mac Jones' of the world instead of signing them to big money. Start the 5 year period over again and try again. Herbert is the only quarterback that I'd have some questions not paying, for Lamar, Mac, etc see ya! If you didn't do it while you were cheap, you aren't going to do it while you're expensive, not with your current team anyway. Everyone gets wrapped up in the talent, but I don't think Lamar has the mental makeup of a Super Bowl winning QB, just like Kyler Murray, just like Dak Prescott, but there's always those teams that give us something to laugh at.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:02 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The crazy thing is Herbert put up zeros and his team is STILL expected to be $20m over the cap. BEFORE he even signs. Maybe that’s why Staley wasn’t fired. Need a fall guy for the drop off
They could cut Mack pretty easily if they wanted to. Allen seems like a probable restructure. Davis will be cut. They have a little maneuverability.

What really stings for them is the JC Jackson deal. He wasn't playing well before he got hurt; hard to see him improving after the injury. And he's got a pretty hefty number next year they flat can't get out of.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:03 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
If they follow our mold with Patrick, they can still keep Burrow and Herbert's cap hits relatively low until like 2025 or 2026.

The belt will tighten, already has for the Chargers, but it won't be a massive issue as long as either team can continue to draft well in the meantime.
They won't sign the Mahomes deal.

They will do what 99.9999% of players do. They will rake the team for everything they're worth.

They will both get north of $50m, and hamstring their teams against a cap-managed Chiefs team whose quarterback was such a competitive psychopath he was willing to leave $100m on the table for a decade so he could beat these guys for a generation on the field.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:05 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
I personally think teams need to say goodbye to the Lamar Jackson's, the Justin Herberts and the Mac Jones' of the world instead of signing them to big money. Start the 5 year period over again and try again. Herbert is the only quarterback that I'd have some questions not paying, for Lamar, Mac, etc see ya! If you didn't do it while you were cheap, you aren't going to do it while you're expensive, not with your current team anyway. Everyone gets wrapped up in the talent, but I don't think Lamar has the mental makeup of a Super Bowl winning QB, just like Kyler Murray, just like Dak Prescott, but there's always those teams that give us something to laugh at.
That's a hell of a lot easier to say when you're not the guy who's going to get fired for taking a 10-7 team to 4-13 because you cut an established quarterback to sign a rookie.

I mean Mac Jones? Sure, fine - but the 'Mac Jones of the world' and the 'Justin Herberts of the world' aren't the same animal. Same with Lamar - he's a flawed QB but he's a guy who makes the Ravens dangerous and relevant.

As fans, it's easy for us to move on from guys who aren't top 5 options. But as owners/executives, moving on from that guy directly impacts the relevance of your franchise. It impacts ticket sales and in the end jobs.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 01:06 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Chase is a HoF talent.

Higgins is just pretty good. He's the kind of guy you replace.

But Burrow and Chase will be the core of that team for a decade, regadless of what they ask for. And as the cap continues to climb, they'll be able to maneuver in ways that keep that roster relatively sturdy.

But yeah, it'll take a step back here and there and the Bengals will be counting on improvement from Chase and Burrow to take up that slack.
Arguably the bengals have three WR1s. Boyd is good enough to be a low end WR1. Higgins can be mid range. That’s a huge loss to lose both those guys, which they will.

And then they’ll need a huge investment in OL. Because burrow needs it way more than mahomes and it’s gonna be WAY harder to do this quick strike stuff which burrow absolutely needs.

I think they lose guys like flowers and bates next year. I can’t see them losing hurst.

It’s going to be a hell of a drop. Way harder than kc who benefited off kelce getting an absurdly bargain basement contract
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:09 PM 01-25-2023
Arguably the bengals have three WR1s. Boyd is good enough to be a low end WR1. Higgins can be mid range. That’s a huge loss to lose both those guys, which they will.

And then they’ll need a huge investment in OL. Because burrow needs it way more than mahomes and it’s gonna be WAY harder to do this quick strike stuff which burrow absolutely needs.

I think they lose guys like flowers and bates next year. I can’t see them losing hurst.

It’s going to be a hell of a drop. Way harder than kc who benefited off kelce getting an absurdly bargain basement contract
If they sign Chase, which I think they have to, they're going to still be very good but they're going to take a step back.

The Chiefs are sustainably excellent because we wouldn't pay Tyreek $30m/year.

But the Bengals cannot afford to let Chase walk, I don't think.
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:10 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Those QBs keep coaches and GMs from getting fired.

And keep fans in the seats.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:13 PM 01-25-2023
The Bengals issue is they are a cheap franchise the odds they can afford these players is tough.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:14 PM 01-25-2023

Nah.

Boyd is fine - he's JJSS. I wouldn't consider JJSS a #1 receiver unless it's by default.

You're right in a major aspect, though - the absolute cornholing that Travis Kelce gets. That guy's a WR in everything but name. And in many ways he's MORE dangerous than a WR because of his versatility. But because he's a TE, putting up numbers in line with a #1 WR gets him paid like a #3 WR.

That's a market inefficiency that has worked out hugely in our favor. Because if you take a guy like Kelce and call him a wide receiver, suddenly he's a Devante Adams sort who's getting $25+ million rather than $16.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:17 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
If they sign Chase, which I think they have to, they're going to still be very good but they're going to take a step back.

The Chiefs are sustainably excellent because we wouldn't pay Tyreek $30m/year.

But the Bengals cannot afford to let Chase walk, I don't think.
It's not that they can't afford to do it cap wise, they're a poor franchise.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:17 PM 01-25-2023
All of this talk about Herbert not being worth it…

Some team is going to pay him.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:18 PM 01-25-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
All of this talk about Herbert not being worth it…

Some team is going to pay him.
If Herbert ever touched the open market he'd shatter the highest deal in the league, all the team without QB's would be lining up to bid.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up