ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 77 of 139
« First < 27677374757677 7879808187127 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!


Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!


Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!



I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
eDave 12:17 AM 04-08-2021
Any of you guys watching Snowfall? It's badass. Just when I think it's losing burst, BAM, no it is NOT.

Screamed at my TV tonight.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:58 AM 04-13-2021
Anyone dipped their toesies in Gangs of London?

A SKY TV production that Cinemax bought into and saw enough in to greenlight a second season.

It's directed by the guy who did RAID and RAID Redemption.

Only seen 1 ep and 1/2 a second, but it's pretty decent. I mean a lot of the broad strokes are what you'd expect and many of the twists are, if not foreseeable, . . . let's say sampled from an existing menu. But the details and the flow is surprising how well it draws you in. Really gets into the width, breadth, depth and comprehensiveness of modern organized crime, and pulls no punches with the visuals.


[Reply]
Coochie liquor 05:49 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Started The Serpent on Netflix last night. 2 episodes in and its very well done. Based on real life events of a conman and murderer in Asia during the 70s.

Its HBO series great in capturing the time period with wardrobe, style, etc. and Jenna Coleman is balls emptying hot.
We watched all 8 episodes on Sunday. Holy shit, great show!
[Reply]
showperry 07:14 PM 04-15-2021
Did you give Amazon's Invincible a try? Its a decent addition to the animated lineups.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:40 PM 04-24-2021
Rainy Saturday, lull between MCU properties. Thought I'd give the spy game a whirl.


[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:44 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Anyone dipped their toesies in Gangs of London?
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
City on a Hill is back for a 2nd season.
Can vouch for each.

Gangs of London is a bit derivative, but I doubt many will mind. A little Scorsese [actually more Departed than GoNY], a little GoT, a little Bodyguard [the 2018 series, not the Whitney Houston movie], and a good bit RAID and RAID Redemption. Lots of plotting and getting to 'safe houses' followed by assaults on said safe houses.

CoaH is just plain 80s Boston crime and punishment hardball. The strength is in the writing and narrative pacing.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 12:10 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Any of you guys watching Snowfall? It's badass. Just when I think it's losing burst, BAM, no it is NOT.

Screamed at my TV tonight.
Snowfall is the best show on television right now. This last season was a rollercoaster.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:06 PM 05-07-2021
Mythic Quest is back baby!!

Rewatching S1 to catch me back up, holds up well. Had forgotten that Caitlyn McGee [who now has a network sitcom with Eric 'Dumbass' Forman] was the basement-dwelling Media Relations chick. And man, the DQD storyline hits even harder with the Disney buyout narrative.

I think the best thing about it, on rewatch, is that it tackles SJW stuff while not sacrificing the comedy. Which is, it lets the SJW 'voices' look just as dumb, petty and clueless as the those they are 'fighting.' Tina Fey and Robert Carlock have done that in a lot of their work, and obviously the foundations with McElhenney in IASIP leans WAAY into it. Danny Pudi's Brad character is a great efficient sociopathic reminder that good intentions aren't unidirectional and often don't keep the lights on.

The creative team, McElhenny, Day, and Megan Ganz. Megan comes from Community and Modern Family, and you can see the fingerprints of keeping the bits coming to keep the narrative light.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:42 PM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
If you're the type who can't get enough of old school Boston corruption drama, City on a Hill is back for a 2nd season.

Kevin Bacon starring and directing.

Sundays on SHO.
One more episode after tonight to finish up the second season. Think better than the first and really hitting its stride.

Separately, loved The Serpent. The 70s and Southeast Asia have always been super sketch and put them together and a character like that and you have a creepy/great story. Really enjoying Mare of Eastown thus far on HBO as well.
[Reply]
cj2wr 11:16 PM 05-16-2021
Mare of Easttown is *chef’s kiss*
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:40 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by cj2wr:
Mare of Easttown is *chef’s kiss*
Last night really picked up the pace. All these narratives kind of meandering down a lazy river, and bam, someone threw a stick of dynamite in the middle.

Really really, don't want to get specific because the experience is worth being unspoiled.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:04 AM 05-17-2021
I'm a couple episodes in on Mare of Easttown. I think they did a really good job capturing that towny vibe and the story is good enough to keep me watching, but there's something about Winslet's performance that makes me eye roll at times. I can't quite put my finger on it but it borderlines on terrible at times.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:12 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm a couple episodes in on Mare of Easttown. I think they did a really good job capturing that towny vibe and the story is good enough to keep me watching, but there's something about Winslet's performance that makes me eye roll at times. I can't quite put my finger on it but it borderlines on terrible at times.
That reminds me, check back after the scene with the grandkid's psychiatrist where she talks about her son.

Not so much the performance itself, but the veins on her forehead are distracting [two vertical above her right eye], and not in an age-lines way, but in a 'how long has she had that' and 'is she at risk for a stroke' way.

Wondering if anyone had seen her facial expression exhibit them before. I'd never seen it, but I haven't seen everything she's done.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:28 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
That reminds me, check back after the scene with the grandkid's psychiatrist where she talks about her son.

Not so much the performance itself, but the veins on her forehead are distracting [two vertical above her right eye], and not in an age-lines way, but in a 'how long has she had that' and 'is she at risk for a stroke' way.

Wondering if anyone had seen her facial expression exhibit them before. I'd never seen it, but I haven't seen everything she's done.
I'll pay attention to that next episode. Feel she packed on some lbs for this role. Impressive if intentional.

I think what grates me is she reminds me of someone I know in real life. Abrasive, stubborn, frumpy in a Subaru Outback driving kind of way, yet has a stable of dudes who should be way out of her league at a beck and call to fuck. I guess that should make me appreciate the accuracy of the role.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:14 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'll pay attention to that next episode. Feel she packed on some lbs for this role. Impressive if intentional.

I think what grates me is she reminds me of someone I know in real life. Abrasive, stubborn, frumpy in a Subaru Outback driving kind of way, yet has a stable of dudes who should be way out of her league at a beck and call to fuck. I guess that should make me appreciate the accuracy of the role.
She has some serious mom bod going on, if you haven't gone there, it might not make sense.
[Reply]
Page 77 of 139
« First < 27677374757677 7879808187127 > Last »
Up