ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 320 of 341
« First < 220270310316317318319320 321322323324330 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
LiveSteam 12:29 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I have considered this, actually. I live in an apartment right now and that's the reason I do not own a gun yet. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt someone who didn't deserve it.

I live in a nice area but I'm risking the biscuit with this lil janky ass pocket knife I keep by the bed. Any burglar is gonna get charged like butt ass naked Viking berserker with 3 inches of cold steel if they find themselves in my place lol

I am planning to get the guns for the future when I will move into a house.
This ammo
https://www.22pistol.org/product/agu...re-ammunition/

With this gun.
https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/9...ndard-cocobolo

Be good cheap apartment protection.
It's a point blank set up.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:05 PM 10-26-2022
I have considered this, actually. I live in an apartment right now and that's the reason I do not own a gun yet. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt someone who didn't deserve it.

I live in a nice area but I'm risking the biscuit with this lil janky ass pocket knife I keep by the bed. Any burglar is gonna get charged like butt ass naked Viking berserker with 3 inches of cold steel if they find themselves in my place lol

I am planning to get the guns for the future when I will move into a house.

You need to make sure you get the right rounds so penetration through walls isn’t an issue. You hit a neighbor on accident you will be super fucked.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usc...ense-ammo/amp/

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/home-...erpenetration/

Some people say it’s not something to worry about but I have seen rounds penetrating through walls and blowing through rooms into the next wall. Lots of times
[Reply]
Frazod 01:40 PM 10-26-2022
I don't know much about guns, but I have been looking into getting one, or more, for self-defense purposes. Better to have and not need..

I've already determined that I'll get a 12 gauge at some point for home defense. Seems like the Remington 870 is cheap, easy to maintain and perfect for what I'm looking for.

But lately I've been considering pistols as well.

I like the look of the 1911. From my understand, it was once military issue so I'd imagine they're pretty reliable. What's CP's opinion on them? Obviously I will shoot one myself to see how it feels, just curious about opinions.

Also, revolvers. What are the advantages/disadvantages of revolvers vs semi-autos? Any particular revolver CPers prefer to others? FTR, I think I'd prefer one with a shorter barrel.
Get a good pistol with night sights that does NOT have an external safety. I'm not a Glock fanboy, but a Glock 19 is an excellent gun for a first time owner. Easy to use, easy to handle, easy to breakdown and reassemble, reliable, and if you handle it correctly and use good ammo, your odds of having a failure in a crucial situation are about the same as your odds of getting hit by lightening. My nightstand gun is a Glock.

And fuck revolvers. 15 rounds much better than 6. Heavy double action trigger pull which can make you more likely to miss. You can cock the hammer to get a single action pull, but if you do, and then need to uncock it because the burglar alarm went off because a door wasn't shut quite right, while it's loaded and you're half awake, heart pounding and ears ringing, your thumb might slip off the hammer while you have the trigger depressed and you just might have a negligent discharge in your house. And really regret telling people about it later. Trust me on this. :-)

1911s are kind of next level guns. Harder to disassemble and maintain, and they all have external safeties that you will likely forget to disengage in a crisis situation. I won't carry one and, and my 1911s all live in my safe.

Shotguns are effective, but bulky and harder to manipulate, especially if you're a novice fumbling around in the dark. Again you have the external safety issue. Same goes with ARs or similar rifles.

Get a Glock 19, and for home load it with good defensive rounds. Learn how to use it and maintain it. Take a class. Practice using it until you can reliably hit what you're aiming at.

And remember, merely owning a gun isn't enough; it's a tool, not a talisman against evil. You have to be prepared to use it, and use it correctly.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:50 PM 10-26-2022
I'm also having a bit of a philosophical debate with myself.

I freely admit I am interested in this silver (or chrome, whatever) 1911 I came across simply because it looks cool.

Should I want a gun because it looks cool? It's only for self-defense so it's not something I'd ever want anyone to see.

For the gun enthusiasts here, how much does your opinion on the look of a gun play into your purchases?
Keep in mind you're the prey in these situations, so you don't want to be noticed until you're ready to be. If you ever retreat or move to a dark area in an attempt to avoid, rather than defend/attack, the last thing you want to be holding is a chrome piece.

The odds of it happening are slim to none, but it's similar to the revolver vs semi auto debate. You're trusting your life on them not seeing a reflection, just like you're trusting your life on the semi auto not jamming.

Survival is always about eliminating the what ifs.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:18 PM 10-26-2022
I'm also having a bit of a philosophical debate with myself.

I freely admit I am interested in this silver (or chrome, whatever) 1911 I came across simply because it looks cool.

Should I want a gun because it looks cool? It's only for self-defense so it's not something I'd ever want anyone to see.

For the gun enthusiasts here, how much does your opinion on the look of a gun play into your purchases?
Didn't see this one earlier.

Find a friend and ask him to slap you really hard.

Personal defense isn't a fucking beauty contest. If you want to get a cool gun just because it looks cool, well that's okay. BUT NOT FOR YOUR FIRST PURCHASE. That shit comes later. For a novice, much later. I've got a couple of gorgeous, expensive 1911s that never leave the safe unless I want to take them to the range. They're fun to shoot and other people oooh and aaah over them. That's all they're good for.

Again, get a Glock for your first gun. It's uglier than a bulldog's asshole, but that matters not one bit.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 03:23 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Ya that's a perfect home defense weapon there SM- Timbers.
Ive got it loaded up with shorty's. I am using a Aguila minishell feed. Works great.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 05:08 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Get a good pistol with night sights that does NOT have an external safety. I'm not a Glock fanboy, but a Glock 19 is an excellent gun for a first time owner. Easy to use, easy to handle, easy to breakdown and reassemble, reliable, and if you handle it correctly and use good ammo, your odds of having a failure in a crucial situation are about the same as your odds of getting hit by lightening. My nightstand gun is a Glock.

And fuck revolvers. 15 rounds much better than 6. Heavy double action trigger pull which can make you more likely to miss. You can cock the hammer to get a single action pull, but if you do, and then need to uncock it because the burglar alarm went off because a door wasn't shut quite right, while it's loaded and you're half awake, heart pounding and ears ringing, your thumb might slip off the hammer while you have the trigger depressed and you just might have a negligent discharge in your house. And really regret telling people about it later. Trust me on this. :-)

1911s are kind of next level guns. Harder to disassemble and maintain, and they all have external safeties that you will likely forget to disengage in a crisis situation. I won't carry one and, and my 1911s all live in my safe.

Shotguns are effective, but bulky and harder to manipulate, especially if you're a novice fumbling around in the dark. Again you have the external safety issue. Same goes with ARs or similar rifles.

Get a Glock 19, and for home load it with good defensive rounds. Learn how to use it and maintain it. Take a class. Practice using it until you can reliably hit what you're aiming at.

And remember, merely owning a gun isn't enough; it's a tool, not a talisman against evil. You have to be prepared to use it, and use it correctly.
I just can’t completely get behind this line of thinking. If someone has a little bit of experience with handguns and has handled both safety types, then I can see how it could cause an issue. However, if a complete novice starts with an external safety and sticks with that platform until it’s second nature, then… it’s second nature. All of my initial handguns were external safety models, and I’m not concerned about forgetting to flip it off if I need to pull my H&K or one of my 1911s.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 05:24 PM 10-26-2022
Excluding hammerless handguns.
I dnt understand the big difference between having the hammer fully cocked with the safety on or having the hammer in half cock position with the safety off.
Either way. You have to manually move the hammer to full cock or the safety to the off position..
But when I took the CC class. They made me holster my 1911 in full cock with the safety on.
I'd never carry it loaded this way.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 05:31 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Excluding hammerless handguns.
I dnt understand the big difference between having the hammer fully cocked with the safety on or having the hammer in half cock position with the safety off.
Either way. You have to manually move the hammer to full cock or the safety to the off position..
But when I took the CC class. They made me holster my 1911 in full cock with the safety on.
I'd never carry it loaded this way.
Condition 1 of readiness for the 1911 (cocked and locked) has been time tested to be a perfectly safe form of carry.

Col. Jeff Cooper’s conditions of readiness for the 1911 -

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...e-1911-pistol/
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:43 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Keep in mind you're the prey in these situations, so you don't want to be noticed until you're ready to be. If you ever retreat or move to a dark area in an attempt to avoid, rather than defend/attack, the last thing you want to be holding is a chrome piece.

The odds of it happening are slim to none, but it's similar to the revolver vs semi auto debate. You're trusting your life on them not seeing a reflection, just like you're trusting your life on the semi auto not jamming.

Survival is always about eliminating the what ifs.

I have considered this as well.

Why do they even make chrome pistols if it provides such a tactical disadvantage?

Didn't see this one earlier.

Find a friend and ask him to slap you really hard.

Personal defense isn't a fucking beauty contest. If you want to get a cool gun just because it looks cool, well that's okay. BUT NOT FOR YOUR FIRST PURCHASE. That shit comes later. For a novice, much later. I've got a couple of gorgeous, expensive 1911s that never leave the safe unless I want to take them to the range. They're fun to shoot and other people oooh and aaah over them. That's all they're good for.

Again, get a Glock for your first gun. It's uglier than a bulldog's asshole, but that matters not one bit.

Calmate, esé! Lol.

I was wondering if you'd chime in. I'm scared to death of an accidental discharge.

Rest assured, I'm not the type to dick around with guns. To be honest, I don't even particularly enjoy shooting at the range. Ideally, I'd just make a couple purchases and these bad boys just sit in a safe in my closet for the rest of my life. If I'm lucky, I'll never have to bring them out except to clean them.

I have held a few glocks but I've never shot one. They feel cheap to me. Like they're toy guns or something.

The glock 19 is the most popular handgun, though, IIRC. I'll consider it.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:00 PM 10-26-2022
I have considered this as well.

Why do they even make chrome pistols if it provides such a tactical disadvantage?
I'm going to assume what you saw was probably nickel plated. It is more durable and weather resistant than a traditional blue steel. It's also much easier to clean and keep smooth when compared to other more raw or rough finishes that won't glare. As you noticed, it can be very eye appealing and make grown men impulse buy shit they don't even need.

Stainless is another chrome appearing material. It has several advantages similar to nickel plating and when polished can create a very functional and eye appealing piece. I own a stainless Ruger Mark3 with a bull barrel that I absolutely did not need when I bought it. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 10:29 PM 10-26-2022
Calmate, esé! Lol.

I was wondering if you'd chime in. I'm scared to death of an accidental discharge.

Rest assured, I'm not the type to dick around with guns. To be honest, I don't even particularly enjoy shooting at the range. Ideally, I'd just make a couple purchases and these bad boys just sit in a safe in my closet for the rest of my life. If I'm lucky, I'll never have to bring them out except to clean them.

I have held a few glocks but I've never shot one. They feel cheap to me. Like they're toy guns or something.

The glock 19 is the most popular handgun, though, IIRC. I'll consider it.
If you feel this way, why bother? If you're not willing to train and practice, you've basically rendered the gun useless at best and dangerous to yourself and others that you don't plan to shoot at worst. And if you're not willing to pull the trigger when the need arises, all you've got in your hand is a $600 paperweight. At least until it's taken away from you.

We all have the right to own guns, but they're not for everybody. I gave a Glock 19 to my FIL for Christmas a couple of years ago, but it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps it in a box in the attic with his .22. He's never expressed any real interest in shooting it or learning how to properly use it. I probably should have just gotten him a sweater and kept it for myself.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:34 PM 10-26-2022
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
I just can’t completely get behind this line of thinking. If someone has a little bit of experience with handguns and has handled both safety types, then I can see how it could cause an issue. However, if a complete novice starts with an external safety and sticks with that platform until it’s second nature, then… it’s second nature. All of my initial handguns were external safety models, and I’m not concerned about forgetting to flip it off if I need to pull my H&K or one of my 1911s.
It takes a lot of practice and dedication to get to that point, and most people simply aren't willing to devote that kind of energy. Some are. I have little doubt that you'd have no problem with it. But a novice probably won't take the time to get there.

Nobody wants the last thought in their life to be "oh fuck, the safety's on."
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:02 AM 10-27-2022
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I'm going to assume what you saw was probably nickel plated. It is more durable and weather resistant than a traditional blue steel. It's also much easier to clean and keep smooth when compared to other more raw or rough finishes that won't glare. As you noticed, it can be very eye appealing and make grown men impulse buy shit they don't even need.

Stainless is another chrome appearing material. It has several advantages similar to nickel plating and when polished can create a very functional and eye appealing piece. I own a stainless Ruger Mark3 with a bull barrel that I absolutely did not need when I bought it. :-)

https://onlineguncompany.com/product...acp-5-8rd-sts/

Here's the gun in question, FYI. It's a good looking piece, IMO.

I don't feel so bad knowing you guys have been duped into making similar purchases. I guess humans just really like shiny shit.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:14 AM 10-27-2022

[Reply]
Page 320 of 341
« First < 220270310316317318319320 321322323324330 > Last »
Up