ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Matt Nagy gave Mahomes the plays Reid planned to go over during his Top 30 visit the
Sassy Squatch 10:19 AM 12-01-2022

They should put Matt Nagy in the Chiefs Ring of Honor for this.

Amazing story from Mahomes. https://t.co/0AoFmWrQUn

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) December 1, 2022

[Reply]
Eleazar 01:23 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Interesting theory. Raiders were dumb enough to draft JaMarcus Russell #1 overall even though he’s a lazy guy with poor intelligence.
Never will forget being at the first game of the Cassel era in KC where we lost to the JaMarcus Russell-led Raiders on a day where he played one of the worst games I’ve ever seen a QB play. I think he was 7/25 or something, couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Was a sign of things to come in that era…
[Reply]
KC_Lee 01:58 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
Not a coincidence Nagy returns and the offense is suddenly back in 2018 gear. I also notice PM2 sitting next to Nagy and chatting between series. There is chemistry there. EB, not so much.
The more and more I think about it, it seems like the Colts game was the last time EB "ran" the offensive game plan.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:59 PM 12-01-2022
Arguably the most impactful singular draft pick of the last 10 years implies he basically picked a team to go to the week after a former coach and current media personality says a draft lottery will be instituted?

:-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:05 PM 12-01-2022
The podcast alone clears up a ton of myths that lead to trashing people unnecessarily

- Alex smith DID have a huge impact that goes beyond lip services. Turns out a good veteran CAN make a huge difference on mentoring a young qb

- bringing Nagy back was a great move. Even if I’m not sure if he can run his own offense he seems like a terrific fit for mahomes

- veach was very instrumental getting mahomes. I won’t knock Dorsey but that dispels a myth from those who won’t let veach take credit
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 02:54 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Agreed, but if they were doing this on the sly who were they hiding it from? Dorsey?
My guess would be it was actually just Andy playing coy with Pat. I mean he can't personally directly hand him the answers to the test himself, he had his teacher's aid do it. Just like professors do with college athletes. :-)

I mean really, if Andy gave it to him personally, that's showing his hand way too much. Nagy doing it kept it from being so obvious.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:05 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I wonder if they did that with every QB, just to see who would put in the study time, and how quickly they could grasp it all with one night of study.
That makes a good bit of sense.

And of course, Pat studied his ASS off and killed it, which might have been what they were after.

You suppose Kyler would have done that? LOL
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:11 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I wonder if they did that with every QB, just to see who would put in the study time, and how quickly they could grasp it all with one night of study.
I really hope this is true because it's not only diabolical but it tests retention, desire, commitment and attention to detail.

I used to have a physics honors professor that would let us "cheat" on tests if we wanted.

It wasn't until the end of the class that he told us he subscribed to the theory that if you are cheating and think you're getting away with it you end up absorbing more information. And I have to say man did I learn a lot in that class via little notes and drawing graphs on my desk.
[Reply]
New World Order 03:15 PM 12-01-2022
Someone build a Matt Nagy statue directly in line with the George Brett statue.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:19 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

And of course, Pat studied his ASS off and killed it, which might have been what they were after.

I remember a story from Raiders coaching saying they put a page in JaMarcus Russell's playbook that said "we know you're not really reading this" then asked him the next day if he did his playbook study. When he said he did they asked about page X and he replied something like "oh yea, got it, good play coach, we'll run that next game". :-)
[Reply]
Eleazar 03:22 PM 12-01-2022
I remember a story from Raiders coaching saying they put a page in JaMarcus Russell's playbook that said "we know you're not really reading this" then asked him the next day if he did his playbook study. When he said he did they asked about page X and he replied something like "oh yea, got it, good play coach, we'll run that next game". :-)
I think they sent him home with some film on a dvd that was actually blank, wasn’t it?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:32 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Frankly, it's a pretty ideal 'test', no?

A QB that can wing it and get things 70% right is pretty damn impressive - but what if, after a day of study, he can only get it 80% right? What good does that do you? You don't build game-plans on the fly.

Meanwhile QB B in this scenario may only get it 50% right winging it, but after a night of study gets it 100% right.

Give me the latter guy every time - that's a dude that can absorb and retain information quick as a hiccup. And shows exceptional work ethic.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:43 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
I think they sent him home with some film on a dvd that was actually blank, wasn’t it?
So much for my memory. I looked it up and yea, they gave him blank tapes to study then asked him about it in the morning and he said he said he watched the blitz packages.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:46 PM 12-01-2022
So much for my memory. I looked it up and yea, they gave him blank tapes to study then asked him about it in the morning and he said he said he watched the blitz packages.
JaMarcus got paid $40 million to be a lazy loser for 4 seasons. Must be a pretty awesome experience, lol
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:54 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Few coaches are going to take a guy like Fields and 'play the slice' so to speak.

Especially when it's a young passer you may be able to mold into something more.

I don't fault him for trying to do what he did with Fields. It was a better long-term solution than saying "hey, just go out there and run around a lot..."

In time you may have seen the sort of hybrid player the Eagles are getting out of Hurts. But that wasn't going to be a seamless process.

The real mistake he made (or Pace) was having Andy Dalton and Nick Foles as backups. Granted, those backups went 4-3 to the 2-8 he got from Fields, but if he's going to try to develop Fields in a multi-faceted offense, he needs a veteran passer that can actually run that kind of offense so he can do a full install of it.

The Bears trapped themselves in between. Once they drafted Fields, they needed to get someone like Tyrod Taylor in there behind him who could move the pocket around, make smart underneath throws and use his legs to extend drives.

Dalton is none of those things.
Plus the Fields and Hurts offenses, like the RGIII and Wentz’ offenses, are one ACL tear away from being completely jeopardized as a long term solution.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:55 PM 12-01-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
JaMarcus got paid $40 million to be a lazy loser for 4 seasons. Must be a pretty awesome experience, lol
Nice work if you can get it.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up