ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Macs suck...need help
displacedinMN 07:27 PM 10-04-2022
We have M1 macs at school. They can handle two monitors.

I NEED THREE

Computer monitor/second monitor/Promethian board

along with some USB ports and my 10 key.

What have you used to extend your macs onto more screens. Hopefully 100 or less.

Thanks
[Reply]
Fish 11:22 AM 10-07-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
and the damn thing does not have a 10 key
(yes being a bitch)

entering grade scores is easier on a 10 key. So a 10key pad from a long time ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Macally-Numer...JDH/ref=sr_1_3
[Reply]
Rausch 01:21 PM 10-07-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Yeah, I can't get the new version of the OS, but on a device that's nearly 10 years old I think that's acceptable. I'll buy another top of the line MBP when the time comes. Buy well, buy once.
I still have my 12 iMac. Love it.

I hate the new OS so I still run Snow Leopard. About 6 months ago some web sites wouldn't work because of some clock/location conflict due to the OS not being updated. Don't care due to using it mostly to burn CD/DVD's and borrow media.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:22 AM 10-10-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
I would also guess most of my colleagues do have not a lot of experience with Windows. Just Macs. They all have a Iphones, Ipads. I hate Iphones.

I also think there was a parent in the past that was in IT security person. He claimed and pushed the idea that macs were safer and virus free. Same reason why we have to have "fucking 16 character passwords"
By virtue of install base alone, Macs are more secure. That's not even taking into account the security measures built into the OS.

And I hope you're not complaining about 16-character passwords. That's the MINIMUM you should be using.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:59 PM 11-23-2022
Bit the bullet and bought a bigger docking station. There was one I found had a lot of USB ports and versitle screen outputs.

https://www.amazon.com/uoeos-Docking...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

At home, I am running 3 screens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, when I get back to school, if the smartboard touch works-I am golden.

But When I go out on surgery break-I am going to take it home. The subs and others would be confused on what to do with such options.

[Reply]
kccrow 04:03 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
10 years is basically double what most in the industry would consider average life out of a single computer. At my employment, we have all Windows/Mac computers on a 4yr life cycle. Past that, it must be replaced, outside of very strict use cases. That prevents a lot of cost on the late end of the life of a computer. But, yeah that's another reason I like Macs. They can last much longer than their anticipated lifespan...

Like I said, Apple has some of the best hardware design engineers in the business. Their hardware is completely proprietary, so they gain an incredible advantage because of that in regards to drivers and support. One that Microsoft would absolutely cry for. Being able to program/code only for a very small and specific range of hardware for your operating system has incredible advantages.
Let me premise this by saying you're FAR more knowledgeable on all of this than I am or I will ever be. I just wanted to throw my thoughts out there and let you pick them apart:

I think its relative subjectivity to be honest. I've had Windows machines last 10+ years. My current desktop is 9 years old. I replaced the power supply last year, the only major component to fail. I have two laptops currently 8 years old and have seen many last longer.

If I had to argue a point, I'd think it would be that your average Mac buyer treats the devices better and has more computer savvy than the average Windows machine buyer, and then you have the compounding of an exponentially higher user segment with regard to Windows-based devices. This includes a rather significant segment of less-than-knowledgeable young gamers pushing the limits of hardware (read that as overclocking the fuck out of everything with sometimes less than ideal cooling) to squeeze every frame for gaming and thus reducing the longevity of mainstream hardware, something you won't find often with Mac users. So, arguing device longevity may be much less about the hardware than at first glance.

Edit: Although you have a point about the software's ability to fully use the hardware, where Mac has an edge simply out of limitation.

I also think that there's the factor that mainstream hardware running Ubuntu is nearly as effective as Mac, and as secure. To me, the issues lie in the availability of apps and programs more than for any other reason. I've prolonged the life of some former Windows machines by switching over to Linux or making them a NAS box, etc. That said, I don't dabble much in that anymore.

I do think the growth of Mac users is relative to the increased availability of traditional "Windows" applications and not for much other reason.

Do feel free to counter this with anything you think is wrong with my thought process, as I'm legitimately interested.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:38 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
If I had to argue a point, I'd think it would be that your average Mac buyer treats the devices better and has more computer savvy than the average Windows machine buyer, and then you have the compounding of an exponentially higher user segment with regard to Windows-based devices.
Yeah in general, I think this is probably true. I know from my own personal experience, it's definitely true but most of my friends are techies by both trade and outside of work.

Originally Posted by kccrow:
I also think that there's the factor that mainstream hardware running Ubuntu is nearly as effective as Mac, and as secure. To me, the issues lie in the availability of apps and programs more than for any other reason. I've prolonged the life of some former Windows machines by switching over to Linux or making them a NAS box, etc. That said, I don't dabble much in that anymore.
I use Linux as well, it's great for resurrecting old hardware. That being said, it doesn't compare to macOS in terms of out of the box functionality. You can literally turn on a Mac and start working almost right away. Especially if you already have other Apple devices. Linux requires a fair bit of tweaking and management overhead that Mac doesn't really have.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up