ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 114 of 929
« First < 1464104110111112113114 115116117118124164214614 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Iowanian 02:59 PM 02-05-2018
Investing is a lot like driving in a demolition derby. You put in the work, earn extra money and spend it on something fun that could/should result in a return if you're skilled and have good luck.

Then you log into your accounts, hear the count down and back up and smash into something hard. you pull forward and back into a sorry dodge dart that is stuck on the rail, making some impact and a slight display for the crown for a while, feel a rush of adrenaline. You spin mud as you round the corner through the smoke of the wreckage of the cryptocurrency chevrolet that is smashed into the bitcoin buick...you put your foot down and spin mud as you blaze through the fog and smoke just in time to find yourself blindsided in the drivers door. Your seatbelt breaks and as your body catapults across the cab into the collision with the drivers door, you see the battery sparking.

Now, I'm trying to stay composed as Ricky "rainman" Bobby is running around on the track in his underwear screaming about being on fire, even though he's not....

Today, I'm sitting back up in the driver seat, I wiggled the positive cable on the battery cut into the seat, and even through the noise I can hear the starter turning and hoping the carb isn't flooding.

I'll try to tie the seatbelt together and if this fires back up, I've still got a strong motor and the radiator is in tact.

My biggest fight right now is the urge to put money in and buy into my same stocks at the discount rate.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:02 PM 02-05-2018
Bought 8 shares Amazon 2 minutes before the close.

Edit : And lost $70 in the last 2 minutes .LOLOL Fuck!
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:07 PM 02-05-2018
I own Wells Fargo! I own Wells Fargo!

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 03:10 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I own Wells Fargo! I own Wells Fargo!

via GIPHY

Sup, said Janet
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:23 PM 02-05-2018
Started the day with a 12 stock portfolio . 8 stop losses triggered. Down to 4 stocks and then added AMZN so now 5.

The only stock that was green for me today was a friggin Marijuana stock ACBFF. Go figure.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 03:28 PM 02-05-2018
Watching people shit themselves over a 5% drop in a market that's up 25% in the last year provides a great window into why roughly 90% of day traders lose money.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:33 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Investing is a lot like driving in a demolition derby. You put in the work, earn extra money and spend it on something fun that could/should result in a return if you're skilled and have good luck.

Then you log into your accounts, hear the count down and back up and smash into something hard. you pull forward and back into a sorry dodge dart that is stuck on the rail, making some impact and a slight display for the crown for a while, feel a rush of adrenaline. You spin mud as you round the corner through the smoke of the wreckage of the cryptocurrency chevrolet that is smashed into the bitcoin buick...you put your foot down and spin mud as you blaze through the fog and smoke just in time to find yourself blindsided in the drivers door. Your seatbelt breaks and as your body catapults across the cab into the collision with the drivers door, you see the battery sparking.

Now, I'm trying to stay composed as Ricky "rainman" Bobby is running around on the track in his underwear screaming about being on fire, even though he's not....

Today, I'm sitting back up in the driver seat, I wiggled the positive cable on the battery cut into the seat, and even through the noise I can hear the starter turning and hoping the carb isn't flooding.

I'll try to tie the seatbelt together and if this fires back up, I've still got a strong motor and the radiator is in tact.

My biggest fight right now is the urge to put money in and buy into my same stocks at the discount rate.
I wish I had one of your bee hives . I think I'd just go out there and bash it with a ball bat naked and then when they swarm me I'd douse myself with gasoline and light them up and call it a day.

I hate days like today.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:46 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Watching people shit themselves over a 5% drop in a market that's up 25% in the last year provides a great window into why roughly 90% of day traders lose money.
Yup.

I’m not caring one bit about this. Won’t if it corrects 10% either. The past 2 years of gains were record pace. It wasn’t going to keep up.
[Reply]
Iowanian 04:12 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I wish I had one of your bee hives . I think I'd just go out there and bash it with a ball bat naked and then when they swarm me I'd douse myself with gasoline and light them up and call it a day.

I hate days like today.
Honey bees are just like investing....You get stung a lot and just when things are looking up, 70% of your bees die.

BUT...as long as I don't panic sell my equipment and stock, I can get some more bees and build these purple Baltic Avenue properties into Atlantic Avenue houses and leverage those into Pennsylvania avenue hotels.

Keep your eyes on the prize.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:40 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Yup.

I’m not caring one bit about this. Won’t if it corrects 10% either. The past 2 years of gains were record pace. It wasn’t going to keep up.
I don't normally follow this thread but my profession is investing and this is 100% the right perspective. It doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about the move the last several days but you should also have the bigger picture in mind. We're basically back to early December levels.

There were any number of positioning metrics flashing 'euphoria' on a scale that we haven't seen post-crisis. Macro themes (long equities, long EM, short rates, short USD) have been dominating the trading environment and trending aggressively. All of these things rode the wave of sentiment up and now the same thing happens on the way down (you can blame a class of investors known as CTAs for amplifying these moves). This is how markets have operated forever.

Equities may still end up performing just fine over the next several months, but more likely than not the risk/reward (Sharpe in industry parlance) will just be poorer. So be prepared to feel less euphoric and more balanced. But this is what ultimately makes for a healthier market.

Said another way, the experience of investing in stocks is transitioning from feeling like being a fan of the Patriots to being a fan of the Chiefs.

Good luck, folks.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 06:04 PM 02-05-2018
XIV is at termination levels right now in after hours. 85% down. svxy too
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:26 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I don't normally follow this thread but my profession is investing and this is 100% the right perspective. It doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about the move the last several days but you should also have the bigger picture in mind. We're basically back to early December levels.

There were any number of positioning metrics flashing 'euphoria' on a scale that we haven't seen post-crisis. Macro themes (long equities, long EM, short rates, short USD) have been dominating the trading environment and trending aggressively. All of these things rode the wave of sentiment up and now the same thing happens on the way down (you can blame a class of investors known as CTAs for amplifying these moves). This is how markets have operated forever.

Equities may still end up performing just fine over the next several months, but more likely than not the risk/reward (Sharpe in industry parlance) will just be poorer. So be prepared to feel less euphoric and more balanced. But this is what ultimately makes for a healthier market.

Said another way, the experience of investing in stocks is transitioning from feeling like being a fan of the Patriots to being a fan of the Chiefs.

Good luck, folks.
I used stop loss orders today and it looks like it saved me about 3k of losses based on where those stocks closed. Now I get a chance to rebalance at better prices.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:29 PM 02-05-2018
It's interesting to see the different strategies at play here. In the short-term, I favor my strategy of screaming and crying while buying into face of the tsunami.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:42 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I used stop loss orders today and it looks like it saved me about 3k of losses based on where those stocks closed. Now I get a chance to rebalance at better prices.
All fair and true and stops are a sound method of risk management. But just because you saved that 3k doesn't mean you have to become re-invested again immediately because it went down further.

There are two schools of thought. One is that if you liked the market at X, the market at 95% of X is a real bargain. The counter to that is if you liked the market at X and it's now at 95% of X, something in your original thesis was entirely incorrect.

When you're invested in something, you are naturally going to be less honest about it than if you were a dispassionate outside observer. You stopped on some positions and now have the ability to view things more objectively. That is a huge advantage in a market that's been driven by euphoric sentiment.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:44 PM 02-05-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It's interesting to see the different strategies at play here. In the short-term, I favor my strategy of screaming and crying while buying into face of the tsunami.
If you combine that with hope and prayer and a blind allegiance to the Ermines, it's 100% of the time worked about 25% of the time.
[Reply]
Page 114 of 929
« First < 1464104110111112113114 115116117118124164214614 > Last »
Up