ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Media Center>A Few Hip-Hop Artists
KurtCobain 11:17 AM 08-01-2015
There's a few specific Hip-Hop artists I've been listening to in the past few weeks, and I was hoping to get some opinions on them here. If you're familiar with the artist it would be cool if you'd share your top ten songs by them, and maybe an interesting tidbit about them and possibly some underground or rare songs I may not have heard.

Rittz
Stevie Stone
Machine Gun Kelly
A - Wax
Kendrick Lamar
Jon Young

Also, who are you guys listening to right now?
[Reply]
Molitoth 03:48 PM 05-09-2022
Harry Mack will rap circles around anyone.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:34 PM 05-09-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Right on! To me it’s Jamaican Drill music, but I’m not that current on much drill.
I like it, btw. I think it's dope. It's not quite MY style, but it's a lot better than a lot of the generic stuff that gets popular.

Lately ive been getting into a lot of the local stuff. Whether it's local to my city, or to other's, but im finding the local rap scenes have really breathed in some new life.

What i mostly like about the local stuff is that it feels a lot more real, so the lyrics land harder.

A lot of people get impressed with people who can rap fast. I think im over that. I find that those fast rapping artists just don't hit the same. They're not talking about anything. It's all fluff, no substance.

If you can't tell me what hood you're from i kinda lose interest.

I'm feelin' that stuff you posted though. Local vibe. Like i said, not exactly my flavor but i respect and appreciate the music.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:38 PM 05-09-2022
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
Harry Mack will rap circles around anyone.
I checked him out.

Kinda like what i said in my last post; Yeah he's good. No doubt. He's got skill.

But he's not really saying anything. Nothing really quotable. Which, to me, is a style that's kinda phased out.

Is he a better rapper than SleazyWorld Go, whom i just posted? Absolutely.

But SleazyWorld Go's lyrics just hit much harder imo.

Just preference really.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:49 PM 05-09-2022
New Dezzy Hollow (from my home town, O'side)

If you like West Coast G-Funk you gotta check out Dezzy Hollow.

[Reply]
ModSocks 04:57 PM 05-09-2022
Some more local San Diego rap

...and their rivals below. I had a couple homies from their set (Skyline Piru) back in my teen years. One of them ended up in prison. The other one lined me up a BJ for my 16th bday, no lie.

[Reply]
ModSocks 05:09 PM 05-09-2022
This guy raps out of my current home town. I don't know him, but he's tight with one of my close homies and has been in a couple of his videos.

[Reply]
ModSocks 05:17 PM 05-09-2022
I shared blunts and brews with this guy. Part of this video was filmed in my backyard. He's dead now. Shot while pulling out of the liquor store.

[Reply]
ModSocks 05:26 PM 05-09-2022
One last one from my hood: One of the homies from my set (Sherman 20's) ended up marrying Kat Von D and kinda making something of himself.

He linked up with Pet Shop Boys (Ikr) and they made a music video featuring our hood and a couple of big homies.

Pet Shop Boys and Prayers: The collaboration continues.

Last year, Prayers -- the San Diego Music Award-winning, Coachella-performing “cholo goth” duo of Rafael Reyes and Dave Parley -- released their dark and eerie cover (and accompanying music video) of Pet Shop Boys’ classic synth-pop gem, “West End Girls,” with Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe’s explicit blessing. [Watch the video]

Now those same two UK electronic icons (who also just announced a new tour) have released a new Pet Shop Boys single called “Twenty-Something” and tapped -- who else -- Reyes (under his nom de plume Leafar Seyer) and the director behind all of Prayers’ videos, Gavin Filipiak, to direct the song’s music video. The result? A real-life, gritty look at a criminally unaddressed struggle for youth in low-income neighborhoods, and the rampant recidivism that plagues those streets.

The song sways along with a low-key reggaeton bounce that belies its stark lyrics, which perfectly capture the uncertainty and seemingly futile attempts at love, life and success for young adults trying to find their way in an increasingly complex and dystopian world. Tennant sings, “Twenty-something / Good as new / Expectations? Got a few / Find an issue, get ahead / Got it sorted, like you said / You’re twenty-something / Join the queue.”

But it’s the black-and-white video for the song that arrives like a suckerpunch to the temple: Filmed nearly entirely on the streets of Sherman Heights in San Diego, it follows a Mexican gang member as he’s released from prison back into a life of debt, no job prospects and a pregnant girlfriend. After trying unsuccessfully to find legitimate 9-to-5 employment, he eventually goes back to the life that ultimately landed him in prison in the first place. It’s a vicious cycle, and an all-too-disturbing reality facing poverty-stricken neighborhoods.

“When I heard the song, it was very easy for me to come up with the concept [of the video], because I know the struggles of being Chicano, being a twenty-something, and being a person of color in America,” Reyes told Univision.com recently. “On top of that, add the lack of education and a criminal record with multiple felonies -- it’s nearly impossible to get a job. So the concept of the music video comes from my environment.”
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:48 PM 05-09-2022
Fire...

[Reply]
ModSocks 01:07 PM 07-01-2022
Cardi B, Kanye and Li'l Durk. The beat is a banger and Kanye goes off.

[Reply]
ModSocks 10:48 AM 11-29-2022
KC representing. Been playing this out lately.

[Reply]
ModSocks 05:55 PM 11-29-2022
I will keep this thread alive even if i have to do it myself goddamnit!

[Reply]
Bowser 06:18 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Cardi B, Kanye and Li'l Durk. The beat is a banger and Kanye goes off.

I like that beat.

Cardi B is unarguably stop shelf smokin ass hot, but I can't help but wonder if she's reached Tommy Lee levels of Hep C yet.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:13 PM 05-19-2023
Good track. Ive been kinda playing it out since it dropped last week.

[Reply]
KCUnited 03:20 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Good track. Ive been kinda playing it out since it dropped last week.

I literally just got done listening to this track a minute ago for the first time after seeing the Sorry For The Drought tour flyer (dope af) pop up

Honestly though, regarding the track, and full transparency hip hop is not my wheelhouse anymore, his rhymes, flow, and I'll even toss him the message are super tight but I'm not feeling anything with kids in the chorus

Sounds like some support track to raise money for inner city schools or something
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up