ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 87 of 287
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Media Center>*The NEW Movies Thread*
Bowser 11:09 AM 01-04-2014
Old one is crapping out the server, per the new guidelines.

Browse the old thread that is chock full of goodness here -

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245
[Reply]
GordonGekko 12:16 PM 12-29-2014
Originally Posted by Count Alex's Losses:
Saw the Interview last night and loved it. It's hilarious and they really rake NK and Kim Jong Un over the coals. Vicious, in fact.

Franco was a little over the top and I'm tired of Rogen playing the same character in every movie, but a solid B+. The guy who plays Kim Jong really nailed it.
I enjoyed it as well. Rogen's shtick is getting a bit exhausting, but the film was hella funny. And I agree, the guy who played Kim did an awesome job.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:30 PM 12-29-2014
Originally Posted by underEJ:
Big Eyes was the opposite. Very straightforward narrative, made interesting by the two leads who are fantastic. It is also a treat to see Burton take on a story about stealing credit for things when he has a history of being accused of not sharing credit.
For those not familiar, these are writers with a great eye [npi] for story based on real events.

They previously collaborated on Man in the Moon, People v. Larry Flynt, and Ed Wood.

This is the story of the legal wrangling over the copyright on those wide-eyed portraits that were popular for a hot minute.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:00 PM 12-29-2014
An Education.

Great little vignette on what life in 1960s Britain was like.

Would be great to date 16-year olds. :-)

I was most attracted to the teacher, though. Man she needed to loosen up.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:33 AM 12-30-2014
The new Hobbit was very enjoyable. Tons of action.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:53 AM 12-30-2014
Oh, yeah.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:20 AM 12-30-2014
Boyhood is good. Like, it's boring as fuck. But it's really cool seeing a kid grow up.

Guarantee you will relate to it in someway, even if it's only to appreciate that your life was not so fucked up.
[Reply]
-King- 04:42 AM 12-30-2014
Finally saw Europa Report. Very, very good movie. Really liked it.
[Reply]
ragedogg69 10:29 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by Count Alex's Losses:
Boyhood is good. Like, it's boring as ****. But it's really cool seeing a kid grow up.

Guarantee you will relate to it in someway, even if it's only to appreciate that your life was not so ****ed up.
I have a question. Every good review I have seen of it seems to harp on the gimmick. Every negative reviews I have seen says remove the gimmick and you have a terribly generic 3 hour movie. Thoughts?
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 11:04 AM 12-30-2014
Boxtrolls was pretty cute. Great stop motion.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:06 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by ragedogg69:
I have a question. Every good review I have seen of it seems to harp on the gimmick. Every negative reviews I have seen says remove the gimmick and you have a terribly generic 3 hour movie. Thoughts?
All I can say is that it was a unique movie that kept my attention. The acting was honestly great...really liked Ethan Hawke in it.

It's a bit dry but well made. A slow burn.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 05:55 PM 12-30-2014
Foreign movie called Ragnarok on Netflix was pretty good, although the title is a bit misleading. It didn't really have anything to do with Ragnarok.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:01 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Foreign movie called Ragnarok on Netflix was pretty good, although the title is a bit misleading. It didn't really have anything to do with Ragnarok.
Ha, I watched that last weekend. It was decent.
[Reply]
Fairplay 11:00 AM 12-31-2014
Unbroken is real good.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:31 PM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Fairplay:
Unbroken is real good.
It just can't be better than the book. I'm considering not seeing the movie for that reason alone, as weird as it sounds.
[Reply]
underEJ 03:03 PM 12-31-2014
Watched an incredibly sad film last night, The Wind that Shakes the Barley. It has been vilified by many British critics for being pro-republican in its portrayal of the time surrounding a peace treaty between IRA leaders and the crown in 1921, but it really has so much more to offer. It is a sometimes off paced, but well made story about a young Irish doctor who leaves his medical career behind after witnessing cruelty by British officers to join his brothers IRA group and fight, until the treaty, when he is suddenly at odds with his own brother as the Irish split into opposing factions. I've been on a Cillian Murphy streak lately, and this was quite good. A big warning about the pacing though. I am pretty tolerant of slow and steady, but this jerks a bit from the fast pace to the deliberate and it hurts the film from time to time, but the really key story moments are paced well.

I sometimes like stories about individuals or small groups in complicated historical situations more than epic tellings of heroes, and this fit that bill quite well.
[Reply]
Page 87 of 287
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Up