ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 357 of 3903
« First < 257307347353354355356357 3583593603613674074578571357 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 09:29 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
That is nicely done. Looking through that data I just want to know what Germany is doing differently and what France is doing so wrong:

Germany
Confirmed: 7,974
Deaths: 20
Recovered: 67
Serious: 0

France
Confirmed: 6,633
Deaths: 148
Recovered: 12
Serious: 300
Germans tend to be very disciplined and regimented.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:30 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Your posts helped me yesterday. We'll get thru it man. Keep moving forward.

We're a fucking tough species. We act like we're not but when shit hits the fan, we rise. We'll figure this thing out.
I got hooked on the first 3-4 seasons of The West Wing years ago. I'll occasionally dust them off when I want to watch something I only sorta pay attention to (because if I'm really watching it, I get annoyed by how preachy it is).

In either event, I had it on a couple weeks ago and heard a great line - something of a throwaway - that I had never picked up on before:

"People have phenomenal capacity..."

It's just so...simple. It's fundamental is a lot of ways. And man oh man do we often lose sight of it.

Maybe it takes a triggering event every decade or so to keep it more at the forefront of our consciousness, but man we can take a LOT and keep punching.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:31 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
That is nicely done. Looking through that data I just want to know what Germany is doing differently and what France is doing so wrong:

Germany
Confirmed: 7,974
Deaths: 20
Recovered: 67
Serious: 0

France
Confirmed: 6,633
Deaths: 148
Recovered: 12
Serious: 300
I don't quite understand it either. Germany is also very old in population, albeit not quite as old as Italy. Also Japan is the oldest avg age population in the world. They aren't really even testing people much, like us, and they don't seem to be having terrible results yet. Perhaps they are just ignoring it and it's about to blow up.
[Reply]
Donger 09:31 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think this states my opinion about it well:

Yep, we'll never know, and many people will say that it was "just like the flu" after all.
[Reply]
O.city 09:32 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I got hooked on the first 3-4 seasons of The West Wing years ago. I'll occasionally dust them off when I want to watch something I only sorta pay attention to (because if I'm really watching it, I get annoyed by how preachy it is).

In either event, I had it on a couple weeks ago and heard a great line - something of a throwaway - that I had never picked up on before:

"People have phenomenal capacity..."

It's just so...simple. It's fundamental is a lot of ways. And man oh man do we often lose sight of it.

Maybe it takes a triggering event every decade or so to keep it more at the forefront of our consciousness, but man we can take a LOT and keep punching.
We realize we have no choice. There's no other option. Can't quit.

We'll get thru it.

When you turn lose the ingenuity and intelligence of our collective world, they'll figure this fucker out. Be it a vaccine, or treatment or something. It may knock us down. But like Rocky, we won't quit.
[Reply]
O.city 09:34 AM 03-17-2020

Paper by Xu on Actemra (antiIL6-R) for COVID19. ‘20 severe patients given it Feb 5-14. Fever gone and all other symptoms improved remarkably. No adverse reactions. Nineteen patients were discharged. This is an effective treatment in severe patients.https://t.co/1GzD7feOE7

— Luke O'Neill (@laoneill111) March 17, 2020

[Reply]
Rausch 09:38 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Work is dead so far.

I bet all the chiropractors closed for a couple weeks.
I can't imagine dentists are begging to go to work either...
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:38 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I can't imagine dentists are begging to go to work either...
You would be surprised. Especially if you're a cash payer.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:39 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
You would be surprised. Especially if you're a cash payer.
What the hell do they do? They have no choice but be all up in your face and mouth with slobber everywhere...
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:39 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I do. It's got an ignition gremlin right now that I can't quite get a handle on. Starter motor works just fine but every now and again the ignition just decides it doesn't care to work. I get a click and nothing else. Battery is plenty strong so it's not that. When it's misbehaving like that I get real nervous about getting stranded.

Also a minor fuel pickup problem that creates issues if I try to put it into a corner with any degree of aggression. Not sure how I'll address that but I'm confident it will be a pain in the ass. The Fuel Injection conversion made it 1,000 times more driveable but has created a few of those little issues w/ the ECU and fuel system (had to move the fuel pump, etc...). I limped her through the last month of driving season figuring I'll fix it in the spring.

But no worries - the new truck is a !@#$ing cadillac with a bed on it (2020 Ram Limited) and the sooner I get the lumber rack re-built, the sooner I can get all this shit off my shop floor and build a new miter saw table/hood and feed table for my jointer. Once that's done I can run a couple new trunks for the dust collector and with the new layout it'll increase the shops functionality quite a bit. I'll just be happy to not have that damn miter saw not shooting sawdust everywhere.

I mean it's just hard to explain to people right now "no, I'm not sick - I'm just a poorly prepared amateur woodworker who's shop is full of particulate and you fuckers stole all the shop masks thinking that a home depot particulate mask will do ANYTHING for viral spread. So presently my lungs are full of pine dust and i'm just gonna have to hack that up for awhile. Sorry..."
:-) I can relate. We moved into a new place nearly a year ago, it has an addition with a 3rd garage and shop in the back of it, and I still haven't got it to where I can function back there. Whatever I want to use is always blocked by several other things because I can't put up permanent shelving and cabinets until I get it wired, insulated and drywalled. And I keep trying to organize better and all I end up doing is forgetting where I moved things to and spend most of my time looking for them. But at least the car runs without issue at the moment so I can say fuck it and go blow off steam if necessary.

Anyway...trying to stay on topic, the coronavirus will likely kill me before I ever get it the way I want it. I should have just taken up fishing instead.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:40 AM 03-17-2020
I'm wondering if it is safe to eat take-out. I don't know if I can do this cooking shit much longer being someone who is used to eating out every single meal.

Take out from Chipotle, Panda, maybe Longhorn, Outback shit like that. Just hoping the workers are taking proper precautions when they are preparing the meal.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:40 AM 03-17-2020
Curious as to why this hasn't seemed to have hammered any prison populations in Washington or NY.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:42 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'm wondering if it is safe to eat take-out. I don't know if I can do this cooking shit much longer being someone who is used to eating out every single meal.

Take out from Chipotle, Panda, maybe Longhorn, Outback shit like that. Just hoping the workers are taking proper precautions when they are preparing the meal.
Nothing will ever be 100% safe, but takeout should be pretty good. Restaurants are subject to regular health inspections, after all, so in theory they should already be following best practices.

I'd guess that the outsides of packaging are the most iffy. So wash your hands after you dish the food out and before you eat if you want to be extra careful.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:43 AM 03-17-2020
We should all go vegan, then, too then with that logic because diseases can easily spread as well at American our tightly enclosed chicken & pig farms. It already has.

Also, it's not just eating bats. Bats can leave droppings passing to pigs, cattle, chickens etc. I read that they believe a bat passed this to a pangolin and that is how Covid-19 is thought to have initially spread.

The difference is that they eat raw and live animal markets there which is unique to their culture. Slaughtering animals such as pigs, chickens, cows and really any animal and cooking them is not unique to any one culture.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:44 AM 03-17-2020
I don't know if I can do this cooking shit much longer being someone who is used to eating out every single meal.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 357 of 3903
« First < 257307347353354355356357 3583593603613674074578571357 > Last »
Up