ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 34
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Wanya Morris Thread*****
Dante84 08:43 PM 04-28-2023
More to come!

Wanya Morris was drafted with pick 92 of round 3 in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 8.35 #RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 215 out of 1294 OT from 1987 to 2023. https://t.co/KnzoH8NdfS pic.twitter.com/KZgxtMNcfb

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2023

Pick 95: Wanya Morris OT OU

The competition at RT isn't eye popping but it may be enough to feel comfortable to not reach. Adding another hat to the ring may be the move.

Morris has the length and natural movement the Chiefs often look for at OT. Clean up his hands & thrive pic.twitter.com/tDDr7f22NC

— Matt Lane (@Matty_KCSN) April 24, 2023

[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 03:29 PM 04-30-2023
Niang will start the the first six games, stub his toe walking off the bus, then Wanya will start the rest of the season.

If a new pandemic hits, we may never see Niang again.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:01 PM 06-01-2023
Getting some reps at LT with the 1s:

[Reply]
MVChiefFan 09:06 PM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Getting some reps at LT with the 1s:

Best case scenario is he’s good enough to beat out Smith at LT. If that happens, that O-Line is gonna be so nasty! That’s a really scary thought for the rest of the league.
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:52 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by MVChiefFan:
Best case scenario is he’s good enough to beat out Smith at LT. If that happens, that O-Line is gonna be so nasty! That’s a really scary thought for the rest of the league.

Getting adequate and perhaps even good/great production at LT for four years on a cheap 3rd round contract?

At that point I don’t care if you plug Taylor in at long snapper. Put him wherever you want. We’re gold.
[Reply]
O.city 07:57 AM 06-02-2023
While I don't think this necessarily means much, it's OTA's etc, but shit that's good to see.

He couldn't ask to be in a better spot with the QB behind him and the LG next to him. Yeah.....play him there and ease him in.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:29 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
While I don't think this necessarily means much, it's OTA's etc, but shit that's good to see.

He couldn't ask to be in a better spot with the QB behind him and the LG next to him. Yeah.....play him there and ease him in.
I'm not crowning his ass yet, but I think steps like these are important even if only for a practice or two.

I heard/saw absolutely nothing like this for Kinnard last year, and you just know the job was his for the taking. It was wide open, and had he showed even a single flash of good play in OTAs and training camp, the staff would have given him more opportunities to land the job with the 1s.

This is at least a good sign that coaches are intrigued by Morris, even if they deem that he's not ready or even if they view him as a mostly depth tackle.

Man, I am definitely rooting for him, though. Even if Smith gets back to his 2021 form as a blocker, he's had issues with holding penalties his entire career. I don't think that's going away.
[Reply]
O.city 08:38 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I'm not crowning his ass yet, but I think steps like these are important even if only for a practice or two.

I heard/saw absolutely nothing like this for Kinnard last year, and you just know the job was his for the taking. It was wide open, and had he showed even a single flash of good play in OTAs and training camp, the staff would have given him more opportunities to land the job with the 1s.

This is at least a good sign that coaches are intrigued by Morris, even if they deem that he's not ready or even if they view him as a mostly depth tackle.

Man, I am definitely rooting for him, though. Even if Smith gets back to his 2021 form as a blocker, he's had issues with holding penalties his entire career. I don't think that's going away.
100% there with you man. I'd honestly prefer to put Morris out there if you think he's got the ability to play LT. Chip, put TE's there, etc whatever to help him.

The value of having him even play an adequate LT is too great to pass up if he can do it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:26 AM 06-02-2023
Ultimately he has the length and athleticism for the job. It's just one of those few positions where all the technique in the world can't really help you if you don't have some threshold tools.

And from his college clips, the real problem I could see was that he'd lean into his length and get lazy with his feet at times. I also think he tended to play a little lighter than he was.

In either event, that's just SO coachable. So if they can get him chopping his feet and staying in motion, that'll be a pretty big deal. But I also don't think that's the kind of thing you can learn during OTAs when big men aren't trying to hit you and you're not getting a little bit tired of getting hit.
[Reply]
O.city 09:30 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Ultimately he has the length and athleticism for the job. It's just one of those few positions where all the technique in the world can't really help you if you don't have some threshold tools.

And from his college clips, the real problem I could see was that he'd lean into his length and get lazy with his feet at times. I also think he tended to play a little lighter than he was.

In either event, that's just SO coachable. So if they can get him chopping his feet and staying in motion, that'll be a pretty big deal. But I also don't think that's the kind of thing you can learn during OTAs when big men aren't trying to hit you and you're not getting a little bit tired of getting hit.
See that's where I think, if he has the tools to do it, put him by Thuney and coach him up.

The reward for that is too great
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:37 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
See that's where I think, if he has the tools to do it, put him by Thuney and coach him up.

The reward for that is too great
I'd still put Taylor over there because I think he has a truly elite combination of athleticism and physical strength.

We don't know yet if Morris can juggle both. He has to get more functional strength to be close to Taylor in that regard and that could cost him that athleticism. Moreover, he just wasn't great at LT at Tennessee.

If Morris can start, I'm putting Taylor at LT and Morris at RT. And Smith would remain a really high quality backup.

But again, just as was the case with the WR room, we're a long ways away from knowing much. Frankly, you can learn even LESS without pads from OL than you can with WRs.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:50 AM 06-02-2023
I'd still put Taylor over there because I think he has a truly elite combination of athleticism and physical strength.

We don't know yet if Morris can juggle both. He has to get more functional strength to be close to Taylor in that regard and that could cost him that athleticism. Moreover, he just wasn't great at LT at Tennessee.

If Morris can start, I'm putting Taylor at LT and Morris at RT. And Smith would remain a really high quality backup.

But again, just as was the case with the WR room, we're a long ways away from knowing much. Frankly, you can learn even LESS without pads from OL than you can with WRs.
This is the ideal scenario but if Morris can be an even average LT as a rookie? If that happens just give Brett an extension or generous raise this year.

Either way a decent starting tackle in the 3rd rd is cheeks man. It would be outstanding and would really solidify our GM at the top of the mountain IMO.

We’ll see. It’s OTA’s. We knew Andy would try these guys at different spots
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:55 AM 06-02-2023
This is how it starts.

"Oh look the rookie is getting some play with the 1's. It's OTA's so it don't mean shit"

And then rumors start floating about how the Chiefs like this kid.

And then that flows into TC.

And then next you thing you know this rookie no one was talking about is now starting for the Chiefs.

I mean...we keeps seeing it time and time again....just say'n
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 06-02-2023

I'd just prefer to not mess with Taylor and his RT skill. I think he ends up being in that Lane Johnson class at RT here with ANdy and Pat and company.

Put him there, forget it and move on.

Let Morris get some on the job training at LT.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 10:03 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This is how it starts.

"Oh look the rookie is getting some play with the 1's. It's OTA's so it don't mean shit"

And then next you thing you know this rookie no one was talking about is now starting for the Chiefs.

But do I cum now, or do I have to wait for his 1st start?
[Reply]
wazu 10:12 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This is how it starts.

Not gonna get too excited until I hear it from DJBill.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 34
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up