View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 48 of 343
« First < 384445464748 495051525898148 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
TEX 11:12 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I mean... I'm with you. I personally would slow play it, not get a deal done by July 15, say "my hands are tied," and make him play on the tag. If he absolutely kicks ass all year, then great - make him the highest paid. It won't be that much more than you're paying this year, but you'll have bought a year of information. If he sucks or is mediocre, you know that you need to upgrade, however that happens.

If he balls out and demands a tag and trade, then terrific, his value is sky high and you can use that capital to move up in the draft for a legit LT on a rookie deal.

I fail to see where biding your time hurts you, unless you are looking to clear space for another big move this year, and his tag number prevents that.
Exactly! I think the argument is he will be more expensive next year. IMO, that's a risk I would take. If it turns out he won't play on the tag, then I would likely just deal with that situation. However, I definitely can understand the argument for not wanting to play it that way.
[Reply]
Wilson8 11:27 AM 06-17-2022
Thursday’s minicamp press conference.

“Yeah, I’m very confident just because I know Orlando,” Mahomes said. “I was with him yesterday actually, so I hang out with him a lot. He loves football. He loves the Kansas City Chiefs. He loves being here in this organization. So now, the stuff that’s always tough, the business side of this. All of us want to provide for our families in the long term, the next generation. I know he’s getting that handled. As far as loving the Chiefs and loving football, there’s not another person in this building that loves it as much as he does.”
[Reply]
-King- 11:32 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Well, he's not gonna play on the tag. Unless we wanna deal with that whole situation.
So he's going to pass up $19 mil guaranteed and bank on still getting a premier deal after sitting out for a season and being the 8-14th best LT in the most recent season he did play? How does that make sense for him?
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:54 AM 06-17-2022
Chiefs either pay him or they will have to allocate draft resources for his successor...I'd pay him and forget about the LT position for the next 5 years. The entire right side of the OL is cheap for the next 3 years.

Use the draft capital saved to replace other expensive positions like DE, CB, WR...a decent LT is going to cost you...one way or another.

Brown is good enough to not complicate restocking the team...Clark is off the books soon. They have a lot of draft picks next year...

Chiefs dont need the best LT in the world...
[Reply]
BossChief 01:34 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
This season? We're stuck at this point so either pay him or call his bluff. Next season all options are open. If you believe you have to be in the top 15 to get a good LT, we have ammo to move up. Or we can sign one or trade for one.

But does anyone really think he'll hold out through the season if we don't sign him to an elite tier contract? How would that help him?
You must be trolling
[Reply]
BossChief 01:36 PM 06-17-2022
So he's going to pass up $19 mil guaranteed and bank on still getting a premier deal after sitting out for a season and being the 8-14th best LT in the most recent season he did play? How does that make sense for him?
He would just go back to Baltimore and we would spin our wheels by spending multiple premium resources into trying to replace him and having no guarantees on that replacement being an upgrade.

Just pay the man his money and get him at that amount for as many years as possible.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:50 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Chiefs either pay him or they will have to allocate draft resources for his successor...I'd pay him and forget about the LT position for the next 5 years. The entire right side of the OL is cheap for the next 3 years.

Use the draft capital saved to replace other expensive positions like DE, CB, WR...a decent LT is going to cost you...one way or another.

Brown is good enough to not complicate restocking the team...Clark is off the books soon. They have a lot of draft picks next year...

Chiefs dont need the best LT in the world...
Just stop.

This makes waaaaay too much sense.
[Reply]
-King- 03:17 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
He would just go back to Baltimore and we would spin our wheels by spending multiple premium resources into trying to replace him and having no guarantees on that replacement being an upgrade.

Just pay the man his money and get him at that amount for as many years as possible.
How exactly would he do that unless we traded him back?
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:18 PM 06-17-2022
Cool. Then he gets to prove if he deserve the deal he wants. If he plays like a premier LT, then pay him like one. If not, then the chiefs saved themselves from making a big mistake.
Okay. He has a season that's just a little bit better than this past year. Not enough to be considered a top 5 LT, but good enough where the franchise says, "That'll do. He's not an absolute turnstile, and he's a plus in the running game."

Did he just "prove it" to you? What's your threshold for saying a guy deserves the bag or not?

The Chiefs gave extensions to Fisher and LDT when they had less than a season's work of showing they could be solid effective starters in the NFL. Those deals weren't top of their positions, but they weren't exactly chump change. LDT's especially. He had a rich ass contract for a RG at the time. And I'm pretty sure Fisher's AAV was top 3 for LTs or something like that.
[Reply]
-King- 03:19 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
You must be trolling
Trolling about what? You think he's going to pass up $19mil guaranteed and go into 2023 negotiating off of his 2021 game tape? You think that's going to land him the deal he wants?
[Reply]
staylor26 03:24 PM 06-17-2022
"Just trade up in the top 15!"

As if it's that simple when we still likely have a huge need at EDGE and WR next year.

Creating more needs when we have an above average LT with some upside left is fucking dumb. The only guarantee is that your young LT would be cheaper. He could be a complete bust, and it's very likely that there would be significant growing pains.

This isn't exactly a great OT class next year either. It's actually pretty weak as it stands right now.

I love how King thinks that's a great answer, and it's really that simple.
[Reply]
-King- 03:25 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Okay. He has a season that's just a little bit better than this past year. Not enough to be considered a top 5 LT, but good enough where the franchise says, "That'll do. He's not an absolute turnstile, and he's a plus in the running game."

Did he just "prove it" to you? What's your threshold for saying a guy deserves the bag or not?

The Chiefs gave extensions to Fisher and LDT when they had less than a season's work of showing they could be solid effective starters in the NFL. Those deals weren't top of their positions, but they weren't exactly chump change. LDT's especially. He had a rich ass contract for a RG at the time. And I'm pretty sure Fisher's AAV was top 3 for LTs or something like that.
Fishers AAV was $12mil when he re-signed. He wasn't that highly paid. It was a fair deal for both him and the team.
[Reply]
-King- 03:26 PM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
"Just trade up in the top 15!"

As if it's that simple when we still likely have a huge need at EDGE and WR next year.

Creating more needs when we have an above average LT with some upside left is fucking dumb. The only guarantee is that your young LT would be cheaper. He could be a complete bust, and it's very likely that there would be significant growing pains. This isn't exactly a great OT class next year either.

I love how King just think that's a great answer, and it's really that simple.
When did I say it was simple? We're just discussing ideas here. Calm down Sally.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:29 PM 06-17-2022
When did I say it was simple? We're just discussing ideas here. Calm down Sally.
When people are asking how you're going to handle finding replacement, they aren't looking for vague answers.

If it's the draft, who are you trading up for specifically?

If it's free agency, who are you going after specifically?

If it's a trade, who are you targeting specifically?

If you're going to be overly critical, you should at least be able to have names in mind. Otherwise, you're just proving that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

When I talked about the Chiefs using the money they saved on Tyreek to get an EDGE next year to pair with Karlaftis, I specifically mentioned Marcus Davenport. That's how it works.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:32 PM 06-17-2022
Fishers AAV was $12mil when he re-signed. He wasn't that highly paid. It was a fair deal for both him and the team.
Completely different market. It was a top LT contract, even if he wasn't the highest paid LT.
[Reply]
Page 48 of 343
« First < 384445464748 495051525898148 > Last »
Up