ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What do you / don't you want to hear from a candidate in an interview?
TLO 06:03 PM 07-25-2024
As I've moved up in my company, I'm less involved in the hiring process for new employees.

I kind of miss it though. The good interviews. The bad ones. The absolute train wrecks.

Anyway, what are things you like to hear from candidates? What don't you want to hear people talk about?
[Reply]
kozzman555 06:07 PM 07-25-2024
I was responsible for hiring two shifts of call center agents for a few years. One thing I liked asking prospective employees was if they did any gaming. This wasn't something that was a deal breaker either way, but if they did play video or computer games, it was a point in their favor.

My reasoning is that I needed my agents to be able to think and react quickly, be able to communicate problems and come up with solutions on the fly, problem solve, and be comfortable navigating through computer programs and screens quickly. Video game players, by and large, tend to posses those skills more than the non-gamer population. I can always teach my new agents the information they need to know to do the job, but I can't teach them to be able to think and act quickly and precisely.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:17 PM 07-25-2024
Ugh, I'm usually on the other side and have seen and heard it all from interviewers lol

Here are a few to avoid if you are the interviewer:

1) We're like "family" here...gross.
2) We like to keep our team "hungry"...worse.
3) I sent you a facebook invite...go **** yourself!

Also, at this point in my career if I hear anyone try to explain their "management style" to me you've already completely lost my interest, I want to work "with you" NOT "for you."

Here's a question, similar to the video game one above, that I like to ask in the business world on either side of the interview process: "What are you reading?" Folks don't just tell you the name of the book unless it's extremely well known, they'll tell you what it's about and why they chose to read it. This conversation get's you away from just the job and work related skills and helps you understand how well they communicate, can they tell a compelling story, what their motivations or interests are, and gives you some insight into their persona.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 06:23 PM 07-25-2024
I do not like it when the candidates are not fans of the Kansas City Chiefs.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:25 PM 07-25-2024
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Ugh, I'm usually on the other side and have seen and heard it all from interviewers lol

Here are a few to avoid if you are the interviewer:

1) We're like "family" here...gross.
2) We like to keep our team "hungry"...worse.
3) I sent you a facebook invite...go fuck yourself!

Also, at this point in my career if I hear anyone try to explain their "Management style" to me you've already completely lost my interest, I want to work "with you" NOT "for you."
I'll also add

"We're looking to shift the paradigm, here"
[Reply]
New World Order 06:34 PM 07-25-2024
If you could eat at Lulee's with one of the following, would it be A: Jesus, B: Muhammad, or C: Golda Meir?
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 06:34 PM 07-25-2024
I want to hear I will fuck up but I always fix my fuck ups and overcome
[Reply]
BWillie 06:34 PM 07-25-2024
I would not like to find out that they got their previous job from a friend or family.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:35 PM 07-25-2024
Dont ask---How flexible are you on the 2:30 dismissal time?

(We did not hire her)
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:37 PM 07-25-2024
I want people to be honest. I have sat in on a lot of interviews, had some that felt like a sales pitch, not for themselves, but for insurance. Didnt really talk about classroom things.
[Reply]
TLO 06:39 PM 07-25-2024
Originally Posted by New World Order:
If you could eat at Lulee's with one of the following, would it be A: Jesus, B: Muhammad, or C: Golda Meir?
LOL - This is great.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 06:52 PM 07-25-2024
When I'm interviewing a candidate and all I'm getting are vague banalities that anyone applying for a position would have on a resume. It gets worse when I ask for specifics and the vagueness continues or gets worse.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:04 PM 07-25-2024
Originally Posted by kozzman555:
I was responsible for hiring two shifts of call center agents for a few years. One thing I liked asking prospective employees was if they did any gaming. This wasn't something that was a deal breaker either way, but if they did play video or computer games, it was a point in their favor.

My reasoning is that I needed my agents to be able to think and react quickly, be able to communicate problems and come up with solutions on the fly, problem solve, and be comfortable navigating through computer programs and screens quickly. Video game players, by and large, tend to posses those skills more than the non-gamer population. I can always teach my new agents the information they need to know to do the job, but I can't teach them to be able to think and act quickly and precisely.
And played video games on your network
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:11 PM 07-25-2024
I don't want to them to answer their phone when it rings.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:20 PM 07-25-2024
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I don't want to them to answer their phone when it rings.
Only an idiot has the ringer on during an interview.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up