ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 22
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hurricane Ian Watch
cmh6476 06:29 PM 09-26-2022
Bucs heading to Miami to practice this week.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/hurrican...s-game-to-move
[Reply]
Frazod 09:08 PM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I am honestly asking, as I have no experience with any type of disaster like this. Why don't these people evacuate? Or more so, what's the reason for staying and "waiting" it out when it's predicted to be so bad?
I'd say it's a combination of things. People tend to think nothing horrible like this will happen to them until something horrible like this happens to them. And the media treating every storm like it's going to be the end of the world certainly has a hand in desensitizing folks that one time when the danger is real. And sometimes folks are either too old or infirmed to evacuate, or just decide to roll the dice, or are just plain foolish.

Between the oppressive heat and humidity and the ever-present threat of storms like this blasting your life away, Florida isn't a place I'd ever consider living in the first place.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:08 PM 09-28-2022
I am honestly asking, as I have no experience with any type of disaster like this. Why don't these people evacuate? Or more so, what's the reason for staying and "waiting" it out when it's predicted to be so bad?

People stay for different reasons, and it happens all the time. Some don't buy the hype. Some have nowhere else to go. Some don't want to leave a longtime home. And so on.

We've seen it time and again, and it's not just with hurricanes, or in Florida, either.
[Reply]
007 09:21 PM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by cmh6476:
They aren't going to want to play a football game in Florida this weekend. Right?

I fully expect the game to stay in Tampa at this point.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:22 PM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I'd say it's a combination of things. People tend to think nothing horrible like this will happen to them until something horrible like this happens to them. And the media treating every storm like it's going to be the end of the world certainly has a hand in desensitizing folks that one time when the danger is real. And sometimes folks are either too old or infirmed to evacuate, or just decide to roll the dice, or are just plain foolish.

Between the oppressive heat and humidity and the ever-present threat of storms like this blasting your life away, Florida isn't a place I'd ever consider living in the first place.
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
People stay for different reasons, and it happens all the time. Some don't buy the hype. Some have nowhere else to go. Some don't want to leave a longtime home. And so on.

We've seen it time and again, and it's not just with hurricanes, or in Florida, either.
Understood. I've only lived in states without natural disasters so it's hard for me to understand the thought process.

I have friends in Tampa with triplet 5 year-olds. They have plenty of money and family to have gone somewhere else for this but chose to stay. Just seems like a weird choice, but again, I've never thought about it much.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:25 PM 09-28-2022
we get a lot of hurricanes every year. People get immune to the threat. Now, most hurricanes are not a threat like this one. Most only effect one region or city.

Most fizzle out after landfall. We get storms almost every day in the summer that have 35-50mph winds. Now, those only last for about 15 minutes not days.

I left because they were predicting a 10ft. Surge and my house is 8.5 feet above the water. If the forecast was like it ended up, I’d probably not left my house. And I’d been fine.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 09:32 PM 09-28-2022
Understood. I've only lived in states without natural disasters so it's hard for me to understand the thought process.

I have friends in Tampa with triplet 5 year-olds. They have plenty of money and family to have gone somewhere else for this but chose to stay. Just seems like a weird choice, but again, I've never thought about it much.
If it were just me, or me and my wife, I could see me getting supplies and riding it out. But with our kids, nope. I'd be outta there as soon as the evacuation order came in.
[Reply]
Otter 09:36 PM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Sister has had a house in Long Beach Island, NJ for a many moons now. Was there in 1992 when the nor'easter rolled though. We stayed because the internet and high tech communications were in their infancy and weren't aware how bad it was going to become. Didn't listen to radio and pretty sure there's still no cable at house.

Was in high school at the time and it was the first time my parents let me get drunk with them because it was so freaking scary. Sounded like there was a jet engine was running in the back yard.

We stayed in the garage and smoked meat over charcoal and sipped tequila. Luckily there was minimal damage to her house but there were some that literally destroyed. Walking around the next day it looked like some places got carpet bombed in spots.
[Reply]
Otter 09:37 PM 09-28-2022

I imagine many want to be able to be proactive with damage control as well.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:50 PM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
If this one had come ashore where it was predicted to 24 hours earlier, you would have had 15 feet of water go into a metro area of 4 million people.
I read that the buildings in Tampa start only about a foot above high tide?

Is that true or was that media BS?
[Reply]
neech 10:02 PM 09-28-2022
I hope coochie is doing okay.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:18 PM 09-28-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I read that the buildings in Tampa start only about a foot above high tide?

Is that true or was that media BS?
Sorry don’t know about Tampa. But, yes Tampa downtown is at the water level.

Orlando is going to get hit right now by a Cat1 hurricane. That so unusual. This is biggest hurricane to ever hit Florida. It was slow. Usually it hits land and then it’s a tropical storm. This has moved an hour and a half car ride to Orlando and still has hurricane force winds.

I’m on the other side of the state and after it hits Orlando it’s still going to have 65-75 mph winds before it goes back over water.

A very rare storm.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:41 PM 09-28-2022

I've been capturing video from this webcam in Fort Myers all day and I've put it into a Timelapse. Check out the storm surge rushing in! Crazy. #Ian #flwx pic.twitter.com/lj7a1wThga

— Brennan Prill (@WxBrenn) September 28, 2022

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:52 PM 09-28-2022
Sorry don’t know about Tampa. But, yes Tampa downtown is at the water level.

Orlando is going to get hit right now by a Cat1 hurricane. That so unusual. This is biggest hurricane to ever hit Florida. It was slow. Usually it hits land and then it’s a tropical storm. This has moved an hour and a half car ride to Orlando and still has hurricane force winds.

I’m on the other side of the state and after it hits Orlando it’s still going to have 65-75 mph winds before it goes back over water.

A very rare storm.
I guess I don't really know the difference between Tampa and Tampa downtown although I've been there for a work trip a couple of times. But that was a while ago.

I guess there's always trade offs for something that is a rare event. But at least at the moment, having buildings barely above the water line seems a bit crazy.
[Reply]
Bwana 11:15 PM 09-28-2022
Katrina was a cat 3 hurricane. But it was the water and dikes that caused such destruction. Not the wind.
Nope, Katrina was a Cat 5.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:23 PM 09-28-2022

#Linemen have come from across the states to help get Florida's power back on. Now they wait for the all clear. #Naples #FortMyers #HurricaneIan #Florida #Tornado #FortLauderdale #CapeCoral#KeyWest #DelrayBeach #Cuba#Orlando #FortLauderdale
#Hurricane #hurricanFiona #Tampa pic.twitter.com/46UiXOBjUd

— Breaking News Worldwide (@FelizKarenP1) September 29, 2022

[Reply]
Page 17 of 22
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Up