ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 453 of 469
« First < 353403443449450451452453 454455456457463 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:44 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
The length of these contracts is just crazy. It's one thing when you do it for a Stanton or Tatis who are in their early 20s, but now they're giving some of these guys contracts until they're 40 or 41 years old. There's just no way that's going to turn out well.

There are nine current #MLB current players who have contracts of at least 11 years or more with the Correa signing

— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 14, 2022

[Reply]
Mecca 12:12 AM 12-14-2022
The Twins apparently offered 285 million to Correa...

If this is where we are the Royals are toast.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:25 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Twins apparently offered 285 million to Correa...

If this is where we are the Royals are toast.
Originally Posted by :
John Sherman was also asked why “a perpetual last-place team” would deserve a new stadium. He responded that youth develops and, when time is right, he will invest heavily in the on-field product, adding that whatever revenue comes from this new endeavor will go into the team.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy

[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:32 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
The length of these contracts is just crazy. It's one thing when you do it for a Stanton or Tatis who are in their early 20s, but now they're giving some of these guys contracts until they're 40 or 41 years old. There's just no way that's going to turn out well.
Jim Duquette pointed out the years being tacked on are a competitive strategy to lower the AAV and make it easier to be below luxury tax levels.

Like many of the deals this off-season, this feels like a 11-year deal with 2 extra years to lower the AAV for salary tax purposes. 12 years from now $27 million will be easy throw away money. https://t.co/CMcfrE2O8U

— (((EugeneFreedman))) (@EugeneFreedman) December 14, 2022

Bryce Harper's AAV is $25.3 million and Trea Turner's AAV is $27.2 mil, so it gives the Phillies more flexibility than having two $35 million/year contracts on the books.

But eventually someone is going to have to pay the piper.

The Cubs are seeing it in 2023 where they're paying Jason Heyward $22 million while he's going to spring training on a minor league deal with the Dodgers.
[Reply]
Wilson8 12:53 AM 12-14-2022
Clicked off of a link on MSN, but it is a KC Star story on the Royals and the downtown stadium proposal.

Some of the highlights listed below along with my comments–

Originally Posted by :
“This is a public-private partnership and our ownership group will be the substantial investor in this project,” Sherman replied. “And we are spending on the team. I would tell you, I think in baseball — and I don’t know if we want to talk about baseball — but investing in the team has to be at a point where you know you have a core that‘s ready to invest in.”
Don't expect much in free agency from the Royals

Originally Posted by :
Populous’ Sarah Dempster presented findings from their team of engineers and stated that renovations needed to make Kauffman Stadium a viable long-term home for the Royals in the future would cost $1.072 billion.
Among the major takeaways, according to Dempster, included evidence of “cancer of the concrete” in the structure that could require major removal in order to extend the life another 30 years.
That "cancer of the concrete" sounds serious. I assume Arrowhead faces that same issue.

Originally Posted by :
Populous global chair and founder Earl Santee added that for the Royals to get another 50 years out of Kauffman Stadium, 70 percent of the stadium would need to be replaced. That included replacing the lower bowl and tearing down the canopy and major concourse areas.

For the first time, the Royals presented the cost of the stadium apart from the ballpark district. The stadium will cost an estimated $1.005 billion of the $2 billion total district price tag.

Royals COO Brooks Sherman, senior VP and member of the ownership group, said the ownership group will invest hundreds of millions of dollars of their own into the project.

The Royals maintain that they would not ask any more financially from Jackson County than what is currently devoted to sports ventures.
The new ballpark proposal by Populous would likely aim to have 34,000-35,000 seats with an additional space for 3,500 standing room patrons to bring the capacity to approximately 38,000. Of course, a definitive site has not yet been determined.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...f0b60c8ea5195a
[Reply]
tk13 01:23 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
Jim Duquette pointed out the years being tacked on are a competitive strategy to lower the AAV and make it easier to be below luxury tax levels.

Bryce Harper's AAV is $25.3 million and Trea Turner's AAV is $27.2 mil, so it gives the Phillies more flexibility than having two $35 million/year contracts on the books.

But eventually someone is going to have to pay the piper.

The Cubs are seeing it in 2023 where they're paying Jason Heyward $22 million while he's going to spring training on a minor league deal with the Dodgers.
Yeah they're definitely taking less money for long term security, but a lot of these guys are playing premium positions like SS. Hard to imagine most of these guys are going to be valuable at SS even halfway through some of these contracts.

And I get that payrolls will continue to go up overall, but if someone hits the wall at 35-36 that's still a lot of money you're wasting that could go somewhere else.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:14 AM 12-14-2022
Aaron Judge's deal is going to be one of the worst deals in baseball.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:20 AM 12-14-2022
I think the lack of heavy investment in free agency is OK. This year.

Is this a team that is a centerpiece or a few big pieces away from being a playoff team?

I don't know that.

Giving what they have a year with a qualified and competent coaching staff, to evaluate the players available, is not an approach that I hate.

I think if Sherman and co. really believed the team was close, they would have kept Moore in place. Canning him and Mamoron and Eldred is a sign they don't believe that, IMO.

Hopefully Sherman is also willing to invest in this young core of players if/when they prove worthy of that big second deal. Keeping them around through their primes while bringing guys along behind them to improve the team.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:40 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think the lack of heavy investment in free agency is OK. This year.

Is this a team that is a centerpiece or a few big pieces away from being a playoff team?

I don't know that.

Giving what they have a year with a qualified and competent coaching staff, to evaluate the players available, is not an approach that I hate.

I think if Sherman and co. really believed the team was close, they would have kept Moore in place. Canning him and Mamoron and Eldred is a sign they don't believe that, IMO.

Hopefully Sherman is also willing to invest in this young core of players if/when they prove worthy of that big second deal. Keeping them around through their primes while bringing guys along behind them to improve the team.
They're not gonna go add 60 million dollars of payroll in 1 year, that's where I see the issue being. I feel they're taking this a bit far in the sense that guys like Ryan O'Hearn are back, we really need to see him with a new staff?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:41 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
They're not gonna go add 60 million dollars of payroll in 1 year, that's where I see the issue being. I feel they're taking this a bit far in the sense that guys like Ryan O'Hearn are back, we really need to see him with a new staff?
No. Not at all.

I would have punted Ryan O'Hearn into the sun at this point.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:51 PM 12-14-2022
I'd much rather the Royals do what they are doing this off-season over what they did with Moore in charge. I'd rather roll with the young guys and see what they can do with different and competent coaching. Maybe bolster the pitching staff with a guy or 2, but we have to see what we have. Go young and cheap this first year and then next off-season/trade deadline make some moves.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:18 PM 12-14-2022
He’s not spending money because he doesn’t have much. He’s one of the least wealthy pro sports owners around, total of $1B. He spent prob 350m of it on the Royals and now has $15M in interest payments on the debt to buy it

The market sucks here and ticket sales were in the toilet ever since he bought it. So he isn’t spending $ because he “wants to see what we have” (we saw what we have the last 2 years: shitty players)
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:35 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I'd much rather the Royals do what they are doing this off-season over what they did with Moore in charge. I'd rather roll with the young guys and see what they can do with different and competent coaching. Maybe bolster the pitching staff with a guy or 2, but we have to see what we have. Go young and cheap this first year and then next off-season/trade deadline make some moves.
They're not spending up because they're not delusional about how close to competition they are. Which you would hope means the team doesn't chase veterans to garner marginal wins (i.e. trying to win 70 instead of 65).
[Reply]
Mecca 04:18 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They're not spending up because they're not delusional about how close to competition they are. Which you would hope means the team doesn't chase veterans to garner marginal wins (i.e. trying to win 70 instead of 65).
Moore did idiotic stuff, there's a middle ground here.

There's no reason this team wasn't in on Sean Manea for what he got...or that they aren't looking for kind of corner value like Conforto.
[Reply]
poolboy 04:29 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
so he wont invest in the team until the "new endeavor" gets going

sounds like more bs Royals ownership...putting the cart before the horses
[Reply]
Page 453 of 469
« First < 353403443449450451452453 454455456457463 > Last »
Up