ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Yacht Rock anyone?
InChiefsHeaven 05:48 AM 08-11-2022
OK, so I'm an old school metal head. Born in 1970, my growing hair on my balls years happened in the 80's, and my first metal album was bought at the tender age of 11 or 12, and I had to hide it from my mom. Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast. So...my whole musical life went in the metal direction, and has happily stayed there.

BUT...being a child in the late 70's and early 80's, there was this background soundtrack to life that was going on...I didn't know the artists, nor did I care...but I knew the songs. These days there is a channel on Sirius called Yacht Rock, and it contains those songs and that "genre" that I had never thought about but that was prominent in my youth. I'm not even sure you could say I like it, but it brings back a nostalgia that I have always taken for granted. In fact, the first time I heard the term "Yacht Rock" I knew exactly what it was...even though I had never given it any thought at all.

Anyway, this is an interesting article I found on it:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i...=pocket-newtab

Sorry if repost...Sail on...honey...
[Reply]
Fishpicker 07:44 AM 08-11-2022

this is probably the ultimate yacht rock song. the lyrics even mention sailing and kinship with whales.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:45 AM 08-11-2022
Its definitely a time and place genre for me. Must be outdoors, near water and drinks involved.

I have a couple Spotify yacht rock playlists that I'll rotate for afternoons in the pool. Outside of that, its doctors office waiting room music.
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:44 AM 08-11-2022
The ultimate Yacht Rock is........

Steely Dan.

(Prob one of my all time fav bands)

Some other good ones for boating:
Eagles
Dire Straights
Fleetwood Mac
The Rolling Stones
Bob Marley
[Reply]
Third Eye 09:24 AM 08-11-2022
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:

this is probably the ultimate yacht rock song. the lyrics even mention sailing and kinship with whales.
I'm going to go with this gem as being the Yacht Rock standard:

[Reply]
Third Eye 09:34 AM 08-11-2022
The OP linked an article that mentioned this web series that I remember from way back in the day (I can't honestly believe these came out 17 fucking years ago):

I remember them being fairly entertaining send ups of the genre, but obviously done with love. I could be wrong, but I think it's where the term Yacht Rock originated.
[Reply]
Graystoke 12:21 PM 08-11-2022
I actually didn't know what yacht rock was.
Off topic I was on a sail boat in Banderas Bay Mexico and this song was playing.
Me and my wife were busting a gut.

[Reply]
Demonpenz 05:58 PM 08-11-2022
Christopher cross seals and croft America
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:27 PM 08-11-2022
lots of yacht rock stations around now
there is a time and a place for it
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:30 PM 08-11-2022
I would put it on the office radio system some. There is some good stuff in there.
[Reply]
Spott 06:49 PM 08-11-2022
My wife listens to the Yacht Rock station on Sirius all the time. If I didn’t know better, I’d think that Michael McDonald was in every band back in the day.
[Reply]
MVChiefFan 06:54 PM 08-11-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
My wife listens to the Yacht Rock station on Sirius all the time. If I didn’t know better, I’d think that Michael McDonald was in every band back in the day.
Yah Mo Be There
[Reply]
raybec 4 06:54 PM 08-11-2022
He was the number one "Blue eyed soul" singer of that era. Along with Hall & Oats of course.
[Reply]
Spott 07:01 PM 08-11-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
He was the number one "Blue eyed soul" singer of that era. Along with Hall & Oats of course.
I’ve definitely gotten used to listening to the music, but it’s amazing how many bands he sang vocals for.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:04 PM 08-11-2022
I’ve definitely gotten used to listening to the music, but it’s amazing how many bands he sang vocals for.
There was a top 40 that one week he was in it with 5 different bands/artists.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up