ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 33
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
Bowser 05:53 PM 05-08-2022
I enjoyed the first episode, even if it felt lifted from a season in TOS.

Who was the young Kirk that Pike wanted on the bridge? Samuel? I'm losing my trek lore as time goes by - I keep thinking of the Kelvin timeline George Kirk played by a younger Thor as James T's dad. Who is Samuel in relation to Jim?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 06:02 PM 05-08-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I enjoyed the first episode, even if it felt lifted from a season in TOS.

Who was the young Kirk that Pike wanted on the bridge? Samuel? I'm losing my trek lore as time goes by - I keep thinking of the Kelvin timeline George Kirk played by a younger Thor as James T's dad. Who is Samuel in relation to Jim?
His brother. There’s an episode of TOS when Kirk finds his brother (who was a scientist of some kind) dead on a planet due to alien parasites and that’s the guy. I had forgotten it myself until I checked yesterday as it’s really not an important part of the episode. Shatner played his dead body, looking identical to James but with a moustache.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:46 AM 05-13-2022
2nd episode was great. Did a good job of developing Uhura's character in a classic sci-fi/Trek type story. I'm sure there will be rocky episodes to come, but it's pretty promising that this show is this good off the bat.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:16 AM 05-13-2022
Everything about this is better than the shit they've been shoveling lately.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:25 AM 05-13-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
2nd episode was great. Did a good job of developing Uhura's character in a classic sci-fi/Trek type story. I'm sure there will be rocky episodes to come, but it's pretty promising that this show is this good off the bat.
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Agreed. Still have fingers crossed that they got Star Trek back on the right "Trek".
[Reply]
Frazod 12:37 PM 05-13-2022
Last episode was pretty cool. I still take issue with the whole bit about Uhura being some sort of linguistic genius, though.

Here's a clip from Star Trek VI which kind of illustrates my point.

Still, she's far less annoying than the Zoe Saldana version.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:34 AM 05-14-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Last episode was pretty cool. I still take issue with the whole bit about Uhura being some sort of linguistic genius, though.

Here's a clip from Star Trek VI which kind of illustrates my point.

Still, she's far less annoying than the Zoe Saldana version.
I actually like the new angle on Uhura. Adds some nice depth to the overall crew. One of my issues with TOS was the relatively shallow nature of the crew overall. The movies helped with that.

I'm really digging SNW. Feels so far like the best parts of TOS and TNG.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:11 AM 05-14-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
QFT
[Reply]
srvy 09:40 AM 05-14-2022
What's the deal with the huge Pompador on Pike?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:38 AM 05-14-2022
Those original movies have a lot of comic relief in them including that scene (and there's nothing wrong with that, that's part of their charm), but realistically there's no way Uhura became the communications officer on the flagship of Starfleet without being able to speak Klingon.

If they can truly develop the ensemble characters like Uhura on SNW with episodes like this week's, that would be a change because Discovery (all Michael Burnham all the time) and Picard (which arguably didn't even try) woefully failed to do that. That is one of the things that TNG and DS9 did very well.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:38 PM 05-19-2022
Episode 3 was really good. Interesting character development for Number One and La'an. La'an reminds me of the original super strong security officer from Orville. She was also the only Orville character that wasn't annoying.

We haven't had a good space battle episode yet, but so far I'm quite impressed. This doesn't have any of the woke suck of Discovery.
[Reply]
Snica 06:21 AM 05-20-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Episode 3 was really good. Interesting character development for Number One and La'an. La'an reminds me of the original super strong security officer from Orville. She was also the only Orville character that wasn't annoying.

We haven't had a good space battle episode yet, but so far I'm quite impressed. This doesn't have any of the woke suck of Discovery.

Love how she lifted that alien over her shoulder like a feather.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:41 AM 05-20-2022
Very encouraging start to get this back on track. Episodes as stand alone but still developing characters as the season goes along looks like its going to work.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 03:43 PM 05-20-2022
I am really enjoying this...haven't enjoyed Star Trek since SNG.

Glad to see them starting this series out right.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:56 AM 05-27-2022
New episode continues the same pattern. An episode unto itself with a little character development thrown in but as part of the plot and not forced into the storyline. aka Picard flashbacks to his childhood.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 33
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up