ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 33
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:35 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Finally got to watching the finale, that was excellent. Certainly the best in a season with some other very good episodes.

I think I can also safely say now that it's over that this was the best first season of any Trek series since TOS itself, which is a pretty incredible achievement considering how mediocre to downright terrible some of what has been produced since its revival five years ago. The franchise is very much alive again with the introduction of this series and I only wish that we could have gotten more of it. My hope is that CBS/Paramount recognizes what they have in SNW and pushes its resources towards it.
Yeah, it was my hope that this series would turn around Star Trek like the Mandolrian did for Star Wars. That was a high bar. They met it. Hope Paramount learns from this, listens to the fans, when they put out the revival of TOS.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:38 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Maybe. Or perhaps they kept him bland so he wouldn't steal Mount's thunder.

I guess my biggest problem with this Kirk is that he was too calm and deferential. Sam went on and on about what a pain in the ass he was, but he really wasn't. Remember when original Kirk went up against Commodore Decker in Doomsday Machine? When Decker put his ship at risk, he got pissed and gave not one **** about the senior rank. Had they both been on the Enterprise, Kirk would have probably beat his ass and dragged him to the brig himself, regulations be damned. There would have been none of Spock's tapdancing around regulations. In this one, Pike's inaction actually did cost him his ship and obviously the lives of many of his crew. New Kirk barely seemed bothered; IMO he would have reacted to that much like Decker himself did when the Constellation was defeated. Simply put, Shatner's Kirk would have lost his shit.

[Grabbing Pike by the throat] YOU... DIDN'T FIRE! FARRAGUT... IS LOST... BECAUSE OF YOU! [punches Pike, knocks him on his ass]
I saw an interview with him where he said he didn't even try to recreate Shatners mannerisms with Kirk. Said it would come off as a parody.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:18 PM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I saw an interview with him where he said he didn't even try to recreate Shatners mannerisms with Kirk. Said it would come off as a parody.
I guess that makes sense. I can't think of a time when anybody has imitated Shatner's Kirk except for laughs.

Perhaps only Shatner can do Shatner.
[Reply]
Jamie 07:02 PM 07-13-2022
I've wondered if there's a little bit of a Shatner impression in that staccato way Avery Brooks speaks as Sisko. He doesn't really talk like that outside of playing Sisko, at least not that I've seen.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:29 PM 07-13-2022
Nobody can replicate Shatner and honestly nobody should even try (Chris Pine didn't and it still worked in the movies). I will say that Wesley's appearance as Kirk was kind of jarring for me in that episode when first introduced, but it sort of worked for me by the end.

I don't think I'll have any issue with it in S2, though I don't think he was anywhere near the best casting choice they could have made with this character.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:39 PM 07-13-2022
Big fan!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I guess that makes sense. I can't think of a time when anybody has imitated Shatner's Kirk except for laughs.

Perhaps only Shatner can do Shatner.
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Nobody can replicate Shatner and honestly nobody should even try (Chris Pine didn't and it still worked in the movies). I will say that Wesley's appearance as Kirk was kind of jarring for me in that episode when first introduced, but it sort of worked for me by the end.

I don't think I'll have any issue with it in S2, though I don't think he was anywhere near the best casting choice they could have made with this character.
this would be the time to get better acting in the role.

I’d like to see a “Kirk” V. Klingons origin story. The Worf looking Klingons, not that Atrious shit from Discovery. Maybe in a few years Tarantino might dust off his already done script turned into a 10 episode arc on Paramount+ or whoever owns the rights by then.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:38 AM 08-19-2022
3 episodes in, only watched the Star Trek movies starting with 08', and I think it is terrific so far. This spock is already much better than the recent movie versions.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:43 PM 04-29-2023

[Reply]
listopencil 09:02 AM 05-31-2023
Season Two is only a couple of weeks away from what I've read. So there's something I saw recently that made sense to me. I read an article about the obvious tech differences popping up in these shows, like the way that the Enterprise in this show seems more advanced than the Enterprise in the original show even though that's completely backwards. The idea is that all of the time traveling has screwed up tech advancement badly. Bits and chunks of future tech keeps being left behind by time traveling Trek characters. So history keeps being rewritten as teams of scientists reverse engineer the stuff. It's a fun idea and the article implied that this idea is canon.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:42 AM 05-31-2023
Best ST series in a long time. Can't wait for S2.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:04 AM 06-01-2023
Catching the first season on Prime. Characters are still refining their interactions. Not going to worry about the technical differences; showing the 60s vision of the future wouldn't make any sense.

It's a TV show, not a documentary.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Catching the first season on Prime. Characters are still refining their interactions. Not going to worry about the technical differences; showing the 60s vision of the future wouldn't make any sense.

It's a TV show, not a documentary.
I've really enjoyed watching some of the fan-created stuff that faithfully recreates the feel of the original, particularly Star Trek Continues. But I agree, updating the Enterprise for a modern audience doesn't bother me. I love the look of the ship, especially the bridge. They absolutely nailed that.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:01 AM 06-04-2023
But I agree, updating the Enterprise for a modern audience doesn't bother me. I love the look of the ship, especially the bridge. They absolutely nailed that.
Agree. Don't care about the updated look of the Enterprise.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 08:55 PM 06-09-2023
Really enjoyed season 1 and am looking forward to season 2.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 33
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Up