ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 347 of 469
« First < 247297337343344345346347 348349350351357397447 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 08:55 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by Al Czervik:
If this occurs, I will continue to boycott the K. I havent been since 2019.
Right when they hired shitforbrains Matheny.

I refuse to reward the organization for garbage Leadership and Management.
They are hitting and catching baseballs. It's not rocket science. Good players should be good players regardless. It isn't like in the NFL where you many times just need the right situation and system. Its simple. The pitcher throws you the ball and u either swing at it or dont - hit it or dont.

Of course development and leadership and locker room chemistry matter- but they probably matter the least out of any team sport I can think of.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:58 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I heard Vern on 610 the other day saying that not only does he expect Dayton, JJ, Matheny and Eldred back, he expects that they will all receive extensions this offseason because they've been playing a little better lately (before they laid an egg in Minnesota) and Matheny and Eldred only have one year left on their contracts after this year. I hope he's wrong. This organization desperately needs new direction.
I fervently hope he is wrong, and as a result will be rooting for the current swoon to continue. Another 10+ game losing streak would be helpful.

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
At this point the cries of "well we have a bunch of rookies so that explains it" is starting to sound like when our system was barren in the 2016-2019 years and everyone kept pointing to the zobrist cueto deals. It's true to some extent but this isn't nearly the crutch people are making it out to be. Once a guy hits the majors he doesn't automatically drop off a prospect list. Massey, Pratto, and Eaton are all on the prospect list. They just aren't all that well thought of. Pratto took a step back this year in prospect status even discarding his pretty bad MLB debut so far. Massey and Eaton aren't big prospects. Sure, losing the arguably #1 prospect in baseball hurts, but the fact of the matter is there was never a ton behind him. I know the Royals are going to spin it like that: "hey look at all the rookies! That's why it's a bad ranking" but it's really hiding the dumpster fire of pitching prospects that I'm not sure if anyone would qualify if they extended lists to 250 prospects. It's also hiding their continued instance to draft defense and speed over power in every pick other than our usual top 10 first rounder. The Nick Loftin Christian Colon type picks might yield some decent guys on occasion but none of them will ever be stars. When you do that for 98% of your picks with a rare exception like Wallace this year, you are limiting your prospect upside before it even begins. The front office can't be let off the hook for that.
Yeah, you can chalk some of it up to graduations. But they also have again made big investments in pitching prospects and are not seeing dramatic initial results from those.

The Royals' focus on defense, speed, athleticism, and personal character* puts them in specific boxes on prospects.

*some will quibble with this, but it is clearly a factor in the draft process. Maybe not THE factor, but I'm pretty sure a player who shares my beliefs re: religion who told the Royals' front office about them would be taken off their draft board.

Originally Posted by tk13:
Dayton pretty clearly tries to build these things in waves, so it's not surprising the farm system would take a hit. Even this year, our 1st round pick is definitely a good hitter but it's also pretty clear he was drafted to try and match the current wave of players, compared to maybe drafting a younger guy who might end up being a more dynamic player. You'd like to see more depth though just to be safe. Just look at what Cleveland is doing, again.

The way the Indians do things is impressive, specifically their pitcher development. I don't think their hitting development is anything special (and may even be a little below average), but if I'm Sherman and I'm re-shuffling in the front office, I'm looking to poach someone from that system and put them in charge over here.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:17 AM 08-19-2022
Poach someone?

How about their front office, coaching staff and scouting department for starters
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:17 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I heard Vern on 610 the other day saying that not only does he expect Dayton, JJ, Matheny and Eldred back, he expects that they will all receive extensions this offseason because they've been playing a little better lately (before they laid an egg in Minnesota) and Matheny and Eldred only have one year left on their contracts after this year. I hope he's wrong. This organization desperately needs new direction.

Then the Royals losing is good right now.

No way those guys hang around or I’m taking off until they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:24 AM 08-19-2022
Also the Indians (refuse to call them their new gay name) onboarded two prospects ranked in the 50-100 range Kwan and Gimenez, and they’re both playing great in their lineup. So I’d say they can produce some hitting too. And onboard it better than we can
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:29 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Also the Indians (refuse to call them their new gay name) onboarded two prospects ranked in the 50-100 range Kwan and Gimenez, and they’re both playing great in their lineup. So I’d say they can produce some hitting too. And onboard it better than we can
I don't recall Kwan ever being ranked in that range.

Gimenez was a nice trade return for them on Lindor. He was pretty awful for Cleveland last year but has really turned it around in 22. He hasn't spent much time in the Guardians' minor league system.

George Valera is coming and looks like a really good player, but other than that they haven't produced much in the way of position players since Lindor and Ramirez graduated in the mid-2010s.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 09:32 AM 08-19-2022
For those that continue to say that the Manager\org have little impact on the outcome, that it's on the players and players alone. We cannot attribute other organizational successes but then troll the members of the Royals fandom for wanting heads to roll because of repeated failures. Just some perspective.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 09:42 AM 08-19-2022
I take exception to the notion that the Indians developed Kwan. He was the star centerfielder for Oregon State before the Indians ever even had contact with him. He was plenty developed by the legendary Pat Casey; if you want to say any org developed him, it was the Beavs.

Similarly, the Orioles did not develop Kwan's OSU teammate Adley Rutschman.

If these guys were raw toolsy high school draft picks, sure, their ML orgs developed them. Highly advanced college stars from a powerhouse program and a legendary coach? I assign no bonus points for development in those cases.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:57 AM 08-19-2022
Kwan 61 Gimenez 93 in FG offseason rank. Also if Kwan was some star, odd he was a 5th rounder
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:07 AM 08-19-2022
Kwan 61 Gimenez 93 in FG offseason rank. Also if Kwan was some star, odd he was a 5th rounder
Kwan is listed at 5'9 170 pounds, known to not be a HR hitter nor will he become one, and his speed, while good, isn't a huge asset either (28.4 ft/sec sprint speed ranks him 17th amongst LFers this MLB season). So that's how you drop to the 5th round. However, his elite, otherwordly plate discipline was very much a thing in his Beaver career. The Indians didn't turn him into that patient hitter that won't chase a ball no matter what. The Beavers did.

Here is an excerpt about Kwan from a very recent fangraphs article

Originally Posted by :
What works in Kwan’s favor is that his eye at the plate isn’t just good — it’s absolutely stellar, possibly one of the best in the league. You might not have been convinced of that early on in the season, but it’s apparent now. The man refuses to swing at a pitch outside the zone. That helps him convert favorable counts into walks at a frequency that surpasses the average hitter at every step of the way

About Kwan:
Kwan played three seasons for Oregon State, from 2016-18, and appeared in 156 games. He batted .319 with 16 doubles, nine triples and three home runs, driving in 66. He also stole 22 bases during his collegiate career.

The Los Gatos, Calif., native helped the Beavers to the College World Series in 2017 and 2018. He was drafted by the then-Cleveland Indians prior to the Beavers' 2018 visit, in the fifth round.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:15 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard:
For those that continue to say that the Manager\org have little impact on the outcome, that it's on the players and players alone. We cannot attribute other organizational successes but then troll the members of the Royals fandom for wanting heads to roll because of repeated failures. Just some perspective.
Most managers don't make a big difference.

But the truly great ones (Francona and Cash are in that group, and a few others, IMO) and the truly bad ones (Mike Matheny is truly awful) do.

I'd say 2/3 of the managers are hood ornaments and little else. But if you've got a good one or a bad one, you know it.

It's like 1b defense, IMO. For the overwhelming majority of teams, their 1b defense doesn't really move the needle. But if you have Keith Hernandez or Mo Vaughn, 1b defense is impacting your team one way or the other.

Or if you want to make a football analogy, guard play. Most of the middle tier guards are pretty fungible - but we've seen the difference that both elite guard play (Will Shields) and piss poor guard play (the traffic cones in the SB against TB) can make.

Right now the Royals are running Stefan Wisniewski out there to get his shit pushed in. It's just not tenable. They don't need Joe Thuney out there, but they at least need Andrew Wylie.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:41 AM 08-19-2022
Whatever happened to that audio guy- - Luke Heimlich or something
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:43 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
I really dont think there is anybody with ride or die Matheny in this thread
This small market franchise has several other fish to fry.
It’s a mirage that his haters keep seeing, even tho it’s not real. “Matheny defenders everywhere!”
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:45 AM 08-19-2022
It’s a mirage that his haters keep seeing, even tho it’s not real. “Matheny defenders everywhere!”
The fact that there are Matheny defenders anywhere is what defies belief.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 10:56 AM 08-19-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Whatever happened to that audio guy- - Luke Heimlich or something
That whole case was some bullshit. But what happened with him is that a team in the Mexican League brought him in, but his numbers in Mexico aren't so stellar that a MLB team would be willing to take the PR hit to give him a shot stateside. So hopefully he's living the good life in Mexico. It's not the worst country to end up in.

His alleged crime took place when he was a minor (16 or 15 years old) and the court ordered those records sealed, not to be released. Due to a 'clerical mistake', those records were accidentally made available to a reporter for the Oregonian, who proceeded to ruin Heimlich's life and career by publishing and moralizing about it.

But that alleged crime, where his niece was the victim, took place during a nasty divorce between Heimlich's brother and sister-in-law. Heimlich never, at any point, admitted to doing what was alleged. I think it was a coaching job by that sister-in-law to win full custody and stick it to the Heimlichs. It's very suspicious, when you look into it. He effectively had to take the plea deal to avoid prison and to keep those records from permanently ruining his life - after all, the deal he reluctantly took included those records being SEALED. He says he regrets taking the deal nonetheless.

During his time at OSU, there was never a single allegation or rumor to my knowledge that he was committing crimes of any kind, and certainly not the audio kind. Model citizen and teammate, by all reports.

I was banned in a couple baseball team subreddits (Angels, Rockies) for advocating that that team bring Heimlich in for a look. That's how sensitive bringing up his name even is. In the words of the Browns organization, his name triggers people. But the simple truth his, his numbers in Mexico don't justify a MLB shot. Last I checked, he was putting up ERA's in the mid 3's there. He was a consensus mid to high 1st round pick before that Oregonian reporter decided to destroy him after that 'mistake' got made and his records were made public.

If he really is innocent as he has always maintained, what a shit deal in life he got, eh?
[Reply]
Page 347 of 469
« First < 247297337343344345346347 348349350351357397447 > Last »
Up