ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 98 of 120
« First < 48889495969798 99100101102108 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread ***
BigRedChief 08:39 AM 03-29-2023
2023 thread. Walker makes the roster. I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its official

2023 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

2022 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:33 AM 11-18-2023
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Waiting for Yepez to put up a .280/.370/.530 OPS with his next team.
Pujols said he’s the next Pujols. :-)P
[Reply]
bdj23 11:54 AM 11-18-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Pujols said he’s the next Pujols. :-)P
We've had half a dozen "next Pujols" before him
[Reply]
Marco Polo 11:23 AM 11-20-2023
Cards sign Lance Lynn to one year deal with club option.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:24 AM 11-20-2023
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Damn, would have been psyched about 8 years ago
[Reply]
bdj23 11:38 AM 11-20-2023
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Jesus fucking Christ, he was cooked last year. Mo is worthless.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:49 AM 11-20-2023
Lynn as a fourth or fifth starter isn't that bad. He can at least give you some innings.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:04 PM 11-20-2023
Have to find a way to continue the tradition of final year Cardinals.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:05 PM 11-20-2023
Originally Posted by bdj23:
Jesus fucking Christ, he was cooked last year. Mo is worthless.
Had some solid underlying numbers but HR luck murdered him. Busch reduces homers so that'll help.

I don't think he's cooked - but league average 4th/5th starter is all you're wise to expect from him. $10 million on a 1-yr deal is about what those cost.

The problem is that if DeWitt is going to hold the line on payroll, that's gonna be about 1/4 of the free capital that we have.

There's really no such thing as a bad 1-year deal and I'd be surprised if he couldn't pitch to 2 WAR or so next year. Somewhere between the guy that missed bats in Chicago but got blown up otherwise and the guy that managed to get outs without striking anyone out in LA is the real Lynn. And I think that's probably a tolerably mediocre high 4s pitcher who should be able to bank 160-180 innings.

I mean for the first 300 starts of his career Lynn was a guy who gave up a homer every 10 innings; a pretty solid HR rate. Then suddenly he gave up a homer every FOUR last season and that's just loony tunes. I mean your HR/FB rate doesn't typically double while your K rate stays stable. His FB rate was up a little so it suggests that the pitches aren't quite what they were, but I think he's quite a bit better than he was for most of last season.

If we sign Yamamoto (and get a real CFer) then I think this is a solid move for competition at the back of the rotation. If we sign Sonny Gray and roll with that as our big off-season moves then that's just business as usual.

"Buy your Lance Lynn 35 game season ticket packages now!!!"
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:07 PM 11-20-2023
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Waiting for Yepez to put up a .280/.370/.530 OPS with his next team.
The Yepez thing is odd. Guy had an option year left; made the league minimum. What's the upshot in DFA'ing him?

Oh thats right - 'logjam'
[Reply]
jd1020 12:28 PM 11-20-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I mean for the first 300 starts of his career Lynn was a guy who gave up a homer every 10 innings; a pretty solid HR rate. Then suddenly he gave up a homer every FOUR last season and that's just loony tunes. I mean your HR/FB rate doesn't typically double while your K rate stays stable. His FB rate was up a little so it suggests that the pitches aren't quite what they were, but I think he's quite a bit better than he was for most of last season.
Well, look at the heat map of the only pitches he can mildly control and throws 80% of the time. Might as well put the ball on a tee. He was league average to one of the worst pitchers in baseball in every measure. I dont know if there was some kind of related injury, but there's really nothing to hang your hat on and say there's something to work with there.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:33 PM 11-20-2023
It'll be worth it when he puts Marmol on blast for entertainment value alone...
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:34 PM 11-20-2023
Keep the reunion coming...

Other #STLCards news:

The Cardinals have hired former infielder Daniel Descalso to be on the team's 2024 coaching staff, per multiple sources. St. Louis is still finalizing their staff and while Descalso does not yet have an official title, he will be on the major-league staff.

— Katie Woo (@katiejwoo) November 20, 2023

[Reply]
raybec 4 01:11 PM 11-20-2023
It'll be worth it when he puts Marmol on blast for entertainment value alone...
He will definitely not keep his mouth shut.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:13 PM 11-20-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Keep the reunion coming...

They're pimping that nostalgia angle hard. I suppose Bo Hart and David Eckstein said "no".
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:25 PM 11-20-2023
Had some solid underlying numbers but HR luck murdered him. Busch reduces homers so that'll help.

I don't think he's cooked - but league average 4th/5th starter is all you're wise to expect from him. $10 million on a 1-yr deal is about what those cost.

The problem is that if DeWitt is going to hold the line on payroll, that's gonna be about 1/4 of the free capital that we have.

There's really no such thing as a bad 1-year deal and I'd be surprised if he couldn't pitch to 2 WAR or so next year. Somewhere between the guy that missed bats in Chicago but got blown up otherwise and the guy that managed to get outs without striking anyone out in LA is the real Lynn. And I think that's probably a tolerably mediocre high 4s pitcher who should be able to bank 160-180 innings.

If we sign Yamamoto (and get a real CFer) then I think this is a solid move for competition at the back of the rotation. If we sign Sonny Gray and roll with that as our big off-season moves then that's just business as usual.

"Buy your Lance Lynn 35 game season ticket packages now!!!"
There is still a lot of value for a guy who can still give you 6 innings every 5 days even if he gives up homers.
[Reply]
Page 98 of 120
« First < 48889495969798 99100101102108 > Last »
Up